U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:38 PM

43 posts, read 15,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
are you a grammar natzi. lol ok my fiance and I . where are the friendly people? I was typing in a rush jersey boy.
I keep hearing things like "grammar natzi" and "spelling natzi" on the internet.

Since when have people become proud of being illiterate?

Is this a symptom of our dumbed down educational system?

I wish there was a more tactful way of asking these questions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2020, 12:40 AM

131 posts, read 73,490 times
Irrelevance is also illiterate. It appears very few people actually Answered the question that was being posted.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:44 PM

734 posts, read 1,345,018 times
As a Central PA native, and crowding 70, I can tell you that central PA is very stoic. People are not outwardly friendly, smiley or trusting. I would say NE US is pretty much the same. But I also spent years in Dallas, TX training in my young years and was initially struck how friendly EVERYONE was. But found out over time that the people were the same as anywhere else and shared all the less than desirable human traits that we are all familiar with. You'll be fine, you'll find friends, and you're living in a very nice area with a great location to get to places fairly easily including NYC, Phila, NJ (the NJ and MD shore are very popular here) DC, Baltimore, etc. 2 major interstates, 322 N/S, and the Turnpike afford you easy travel to just about anywhere. So I would say you made a good choice, there's entertainment venues in Harrisburg and Hershey, and once COVID settles down, things will get much better. Everyone is pretty grumpy these days with the isolation and political storm in Washington with this past election. So hang in and you'll be just fine.

Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 AM

1,047 posts, read 824,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
As a Central PA native, and crowding 70, I can tell you that central PA is very stoic. People are not outwardly friendly, smiley or trusting. I would say NE US is pretty much the same. But I also spent years in Dallas, TX training in my young years and was initially struck how friendly EVERYONE was. But found out over time that the people were the same as anywhere else and shared all the less than desirable human traits that we are all familiar with. You'll be fine, you'll find friends, and you're living in a very nice area with a great location to get to places fairly easily including NYC, Phila, NJ (the NJ and MD shore are very popular here) DC, Baltimore, etc. 2 major interstates, 322 N/S, and the Turnpike afford you easy travel to just about anywhere. So I would say you made a good choice, there's entertainment venues in Harrisburg and Hershey, and once COVID settles down, things will get much better. Everyone is pretty grumpy these days with the isolation and political storm in Washington with this past election. So hang in and you'll be just fine.
Agree. South Central PA is a great area, hence why so many NY/NJ people are finding that out and moving here. It's half the cost of living (Although housing is getting more expensive now) with great retail and amenities. The only problem is the job market as if your coming here looking for a job outside healthcare, it's not easy to find as there are very few medium to large size companies in Lancaster/Harrisburg/Hershey.

The people are not as outgoing as from other parts of the country, but make an effort and talk them up and they will eventually smile and open up. Overall very good people and a nice place to live. Just don't tell anyone else as it's getting crowded lol.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 15,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
Irrelevance is also illiterate. It appears very few people actually Answered the question that was being posted.
By my count there were 7 posts (excluding yours and mine) prior to this comment. I think 4 of the 7 contained useful information. IMO several of the replies were quite good. Also IMO, 57% (4/7) is more than "very few".

Old 01-06-2021, 07:45 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,764,565 times
This area of PA has a very high percentage of individuals that are born here, live here and die here. They are here multi generations. Their brothers and sisters live here as well as cousins. They still hang with friends from high school who guess what...still live here. Tough to break into their lives as they have enough friends and relatives. Search out others who have relocated to the area as they will be facing the same situation.

Old 01-08-2021, 08:05 AM

302 posts, read 83,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
This area of PA has a very high percentage of individuals that are born here, live here and die here. They are here multi generations. Their brothers and sisters live here as well as cousins. They still hang with friends from high school who guess what...still live here. Tough to break into their lives as they have enough friends and relatives. Search out others who have relocated to the area as they will be facing the same situation.

Good point.

Although I think Harrisburg is becoming more transient than in the past. Many are moving there because the high COL in DC, NYC and even now PHL is making people rediscover or stay. Especially with the increase mobility allowing for remote work.

Pre Covid when I would go out to eat in Harrisburg, you would be shocked how many people moved there not from the area, because they wanted an urban lifestyle (even though it was smaller) on a budget.

It is crazy but in the Philadelphia suburbs. 500k buys you next to nothing that is new or updated, unless it is an attached home.

Single family homes are well into the 700ks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area