U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 09:42 PM

131 posts, read 73,490 times

Advertisements

me and my fiance relocated to pa from wisconsin 2 months ago. Yes we decided I've made other posts before about moving to various places and got some responses. But being that i am a NJ native i wanted to come to Pa.

Pros: Landed a very good paying jobs within 1 weeks of relocating here.
Landed a amazing apartment in the colonial park area of harrisburg.
My neighbors are amazing

I love the fact that colonial park is diverse

Con: Where the hell is the friendly people. (outside of the neighbors) People seem to be not friendly at all.

Thinking of actually setting our roots here but don't look like friends would be a option at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 04:21 PM

299 posts, read 404,062 times
When we moved here, it was recommended that we join the volunteer Fire Dept and be active in the community. We did.

Folks are very friendly now that they have gotten to know us. Recommend you join a volunteer community organization. In PA they don't necessarily come to you...you need to go to them. Plus we bring cookies and canned goods to our close neighbors at holiday time to say "hi, we are your new neighbors". Altho we have had so many young couples move here past couple of years - it is more like "Welcome to the neighborhood."

Lived in southern Wisc when I was younger...parts of PA are very reminiscent of the Mid West to me. We have been here three years and starting to make friends, just takes awhile for people to warm up.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:08 PM

4,541 posts, read 4,033,893 times
If you want an area where people are friendly to strangers, move to Texas.

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...ends-nepa.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ople-rude.html

Old 11-30-2020, 06:07 AM

1,047 posts, read 824,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arosilus View Post
me and my fiance relocated to pa from wisconsin 2 months ago. Yes we decided I've made other posts before about moving to various places and got some responses. But being that i am a NJ native i wanted to come to Pa.

Pros: Landed a very good paying jobs within 1 weeks of relocating here.
Landed a amazing apartment in the colonial park area of harrisburg.
My neighbors are amazing

I love the fact that colonial park is diverse

Con: Where the hell is the friendly people. (outside of the neighbors) People seem to be not friendly at all.

Thinking of actually setting our roots here but don't look like friends would be a option at all.

What type of job did you find? Man, your grammar is horrible. Me and my fiance? Where is the friendly people? Geez

I'm also a NJ native. You need to get involved and into social groups and meet people. People are VERY friendly in PA, but you need to get active.

I find the people in PA to be in general, much more friendly then in New Jersey. NJ is more fast paced where as in PA it's more slowed down and relaxed.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:48 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,093,184 times
I would say it is challenging to meet anyone new given COVID, as there are so many social barriers with events largely being shut down.

I would get involved in a community organization. There are quite a few arts/education/professional organization within Harrisburg city, which is easy to connect with.

I also recommend reading https://theburgnews.com. It is a monthly periodical and typically lists different events in the area.

Old 12-04-2020, 05:51 PM

218 posts, read 202,447 times
You’re in Pennsylvania Dutch country, home of the stone-cold German heart.

Old 12-05-2020, 09:58 AM

111 posts, read 38,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Man, your grammar is horrible.

I find the people in PA to be in general, much more friendly then in New Jersey.
then relates to time, than is used as a comparison.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
What type of job did you find? Man, your grammar is horrible. Me and my fiance? Where is the friendly people? Geez

I'm also a NJ native. You need to get involved and into social groups and meet people. People are VERY friendly in PA, but you need to get active.

I find the people in PA to be in general, much more friendly then in New Jersey. NJ is more fast paced where as in PA it's more slowed down and relaxed.

are you a grammar natzi. lol ok my fiance and I . where are the friendly people? I was typing in a rush jersey boy.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
I would say it is challenging to meet anyone new given COVID, as there are so many social barriers with events largely being shut down.

I would get involved in a community organization. There are quite a few arts/education/professional organization within Harrisburg city, which is easy to connect with.

I also recommend reading https://theburgnews.com. It is a monthly periodical and typically lists different events in the area.

Thanks I appreciate it. That's a great place to start. Yes indeed with covid going on it really doesnt make things easy at all. We are still getting the feel of the general area as well.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
then relates to time, than is used as a comparison.

lol good one Perfect grammar seems to overtake my thread here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area