Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 02:50 PM

13 posts, read 16,936 times

Advertisements

Hello. I decided to start a new thread since our relocation has started.
We are moving from West Coast( Las Vegas) to the area. We just had our house hunting trip which did not end very well as market is very very competitive ( like everywhere else i guess) so we will end up building new house.
Areas we liked are Cumberland Valley school district and Manheim Township. Its really hard to decide. I like the Manheim Township for the walkability and amenities (Belmont plaza is actually very close to what we are used to). Cumberland valley also looks good its just communities are more secluded and not really walking distance to parks or other amenities. I am not sure how Manheim township schools compare to CV ones in regards of safety and academics. Also not sure if there is big difference in taxes.
I will really appreciate any feedback.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2021, 12:11 PM

5,285 posts, read 6,083,303 times
Are you relocating for a job or for a change of scenery? If moving to Lancaster County, Manheim Township (not to be confused with Manheim Borough) is a decent area with the best schools in the county. But if you are not a native, you may find it difficult to make friends. See links.

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...er-yes-no.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ople-rude.html

Old 10-01-2021, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much. Do you think CV is more diversified? I am more concern for my daughter making friends.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,194,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Sofia View Post
We are moving from West Coast( Las Vegas) to the area. We just had our house hunting trip which did not end very well as market is very very competitive ( like everywhere else i guess) so we will end up building new house.
Areas we liked are Cumberland Valley school district and Manheim Township. Its really hard to decide. I like the Manheim Township for the walkability and amenities (Belmont plaza is actually very close to what we are used to). Cumberland valley also looks good its just communities are more secluded and not really walking distance to parks or other amenities. I am not sure how Manheim township schools compare to CV ones in regards of safety and academics. Also not sure if there is big difference in taxes.
Thank you
If your moving anywhere near Lancaster County, you're going to want to be in Manheim Township. The best thing to do is ask around, which is what we did. We moved here a year and a half ago ( I'm originally from North Jersey and wife is from China) and the reason we chose Manheim Township is because of diversity, great schools and the fact that so many people are from out of state in Manheim Township. We didn't want to get stuck in a town where everyone was from PA. We LOVE the area, esp for our two young daughters.

The problem with Manheim Township especially is that there is such a demand, as you have many people from NY/NJ moving here. House prices also aren't cheap. We live in one of the newer developments (Stonehenge Reserve) and I've seen some people we know buy land and build homes and the cost is around 800k to 1mill. A 5 to 10 year old 4 bedroom home now costs around 600k at least. It's a great area, but the demand is very high. Message me if you have any specific questions. There is so much to offer in Manheim Township with parks, pools, retail stores and restaurants, not to mention downtown Lancaster city is 5 to 10 minutes away. Manheim Township also has a train to Philly and NYC.

Old 10-02-2021, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Sofia View Post
Thank you
Also Sofia, where is Cumberland Valley? Do you mean Conestoga Valley which is next to Manheim Township?

Old 10-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Cumberland Valley is in Harrisburg area, west shore

Last edited by L-Sofia; 10-03-2021 at 01:05 PM..

Old 10-04-2021, 11:35 PM

997 posts, read 1,302,745 times
Look at Manheim Township and East Hempfield. EH borders the Belmont Plaza shopping area you mentioned.
Cannot speak to CV.
A funny fact, a few years ago we had snow around Halloween. Might be a big weather change for you.
GL, post back where you end up.

Old 10-05-2021, 08:27 AM

443 posts, read 404,057 times
On major difference would be that the Cumberland Valley school district is much larger. It encompasses Hampden, Silver Spring, Middlesex, and portions of Monroe township. Due to that, I think you'll find CV offers many more living options, including even rural, compared to Manheim. That being said, it's less compact, that's true, however, there are still walkable neighborhoods. Check out Pinebrook or Indian Creek in Hampden township or Walden in Silver Spring township. Also, the area of Hampden township that borders Camp Hill borough is very walkable (area between 32nd and 36th street), and still in CV school district (though Camp Hill is no slouch either!). Manheim is well regarded but I think due to its size and quality, CV is really unmatched in terms of educational opportunities.

Old 10-05-2021, 03:59 PM

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/cumberla...l-district-pa/

https://www.niche.com/k12/d/manheim-...l-district-pa/

Both school districts appear on paper to be good, with Manheim Township slightly above. As I stated above, and someone who has recently experienced being out of state and moving to central PA, I strongly suggest at looking at areas with large numbers of out of state residence living there. It's no fun when your family moves into a township and everyone is from PA and went to high school together. It makes it difficult to fit into their already present social circle, and also challenging to arrange play dates for the kids.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:04 AM

Thank you all for the feedback. We decided on Manheim township. Hopefully it will be a good place for us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area