U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 AM

70 posts, read 208,028 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I currently live/work in New York City and find Harrisburg quite inviting to make a fresh start. With 40+ years of big-city mentality, I have questions to ask about Harrisburg.

What is the job rate there in terms of new employment? I have over 2 decades of office-administration experience.

I don't own a car *yet* so is public transportation reliable in Harrisburg?

What are the 'safest' and affordable locations as far as 1BR or studio apartments?

I appreciate your help... thanks!

Dana
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 01:32 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,289,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danabbw67 View Post
Hello!

I currently live/work in New York City and find Harrisburg quite inviting to make a fresh start. With 40+ years of big-city mentality, I have questions to ask about Harrisburg.

What is the job rate there in terms of new employment? I have over 2 decades of office-administration experience.

I don't own a car *yet* so is public transportation reliable in Harrisburg?

What are the 'safest' and affordable locations as far as 1BR or studio apartments?

I appreciate your help... thanks!

Dana
Office administrative jobs are quite plentiful in Harrisburg, but be ready to take quite a paycut. The upside to that of course is that the cost of living is so much lower than New York City. You definetely want to check out Midtown or Downtown for studio and 1 bedroom apartments. Check out craigslist for some good deals. Being the state capital, there is always steady employment here. The housing market is good and the economy is quite robust, not just compared to the rest of the state, but also the rest of the country.

Public transportation sucks in this area. However, one of the great things about Harrisburg is that it is such a walkable (or bikeable) city. If you live in midtown, there is a fairly reliable bus route along 3rd street that runs every 20-30 minutes during the day.'

I'm moving to midtown later this month and I can tell you there is quite a momentum in terms of redevelopment in the neighborhood. Lots of transplants from bigger cities have moved here in search of a better quality of life and lower cost of living.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:48 PM

Hi danwxman!

Thanks for your helpful response. Oh I'm well aware that I won't make NYC $ but that's fine. As long as cost of living is comparable to a cut in salary pay, I'm prepared for it. And as far as commuting, I won't mind walking at all...but would consider buses or getting a used car in time for those cold winter months...

I'll check Craiglist and see what's available in Harrisburg, for both housing and employment.

Dana

Old 06-04-2008, 03:04 PM

735 posts, read 1,350,066 times
Default Harrisburg relocation

I'm leaving Harrisburg after 15 years for a university town up the river. Although Mayor Reed has made tremendous strides over the years in bringing Harrisburg up in the world, the city still struggles with redevelopment, increasing crime and gang activity as all cities are experiencing, midtown as mentioned above is trying to come up but struggling to do so, I know first hand that midtown and 3rd street has deteriorated since I've been in Harrisburg, despite new development and tax incentives to buy new properties. At my employment just in the past 2 years, there have been muggings, car jackings, thefts, etc., unheard of years before. Be careful where you locate and I would work with Ray Davis, he's the most knowledgeable realtor regarding Midtown. I would recommend you also consider center city around the capitol complex, there are new condos going in as well as existing condos that are very nice and very walkable to employment, the train station, the bus station, very close to 2nd St downtown where there are many fine restaurants and clubs, street life downtown is elegant but hopping, and in my opinion it is much safer. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:51 PM

160 posts, read 578,725 times
????

You are considering relocating from NYC to Harrisburg so you can rent a small apartment? After decades of work experience, $8 to $11 an hour sounds good to you? The cost of living here may be much less than NYC in terms of real estate costs, rentals, and property tax/sales tax but most other expenses are comparable. And Harrisburg has very little to offer that compares with the cultural advantages of a large metro area.

In addition to the sites you mentioned, please search the Pennsylvania forum (right here!) for older threads about outsiders seeking professional/white collar employment and fitting in socially. What these posters have to say is, of course, only one side of the story. But it is a side you need to consider.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Having lived in NYC my entire life... crime is pretty much part of my upbringing (not as a perpetrator mind you). I currently live "East of Broadway" in northern Manhattan where signs of gang and drug activity are quite visible. And yes, crime exists in many U.S. cities...it's a national tragedy, not just locally. Anyway, I'm curious about Harrisburg and have heard very good things about the city. Thanks for your input

Old 01-29-2009, 12:38 AM

66 posts, read 149,590 times
Hi danabbw67. Don't know if you have made the move yet, but just in case, here is my 2 cents worth - Downtown and Midtown are great places to live, and there is adequate transportation available for most purposes, whether bus around town or cab. Walking is a joy here. Uptown is too far. (what is she talking about...Downtown, Midtown, Uptown...you will learn). The only thing missing is a supermarket, but I love Broad Street Market for fresh produce, meats, specialty foods, flowers, all sorts of goodies. (you can take a bus to grocery shop in other areas, if you need to. At least for most of the day. Not sure about evenings).

People are friendly, although you do need to be as aware as anywhere else, just in case. I used to live Midtown, now in a little town about an hour away. I visit frequently and am wanting to come back. It feels more like home. Good luck in whatever you do.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingWhere View Post
Hi danabbw67. Don't know if you have made the move yet, but just in case, here is my 2 cents worth - Downtown and Midtown are great places to live, and there is adequate transportation available for most purposes, whether bus around town or cab. Walking is a joy here. Uptown is too far. (what is she talking about...Downtown, Midtown, Uptown...you will learn). The only thing missing is a supermarket, but I love Broad Street Market for fresh produce, meats, specialty foods, flowers, all sorts of goodies. (you can take a bus to grocery shop in other areas, if you need to. At least for most of the day. Not sure about evenings).

People are friendly, although you do need to be as aware as anywhere else, just in case. I used to live Midtown, now in a little town about an hour away. I visit frequently and am wanting to come back. It feels more like home. Good luck in whatever you do.
Hey thanks for the tips! As it turns out, I'm not moving (out of NY) afterall. I did move across town last summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area