Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 06:27 PM

2 posts, read 19,644 times

Advertisements

My wife and I teach special education in Oregon but our grandkids are in Wayne PA. I may apply to a teaching position in Hershey PA and I am wondering about the quality of life there. We have been quite spoiled by the clear air and clean water in the foothills of the cascades but want to be near our grandkids. Are there places near Hershey/ Harrisburg that are in the country yet within a half hour of Hershey? What is the cost of housing?
My wife somewhat familiar with the cold winters and humid summers of the East Coast - but whatever thoughtful comments you can make about driving to and fro in the winter would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2006, 05:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,629,416 times
Default No one seems to know

We are possibly moving there from the PNW as well. But the Harrisburg area does not seem very popular in that I got no replys to a similar question. I do know the housing market is signficantly cheaper than it is for us in the Seattle area.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:03 PM

538 posts, read 2,449,826 times
Default Harrisburg is okay

Harrisburg is an alright place to live. I'm not sure of Hershey. Basically, the best parts of Harrisburg are the lack of major traffic, the low mountains and ridges that surround the city, and a decent downtown. It is cheaper than the areas to the east.

If the Wayne, PA you are talking about is the one in Delaware County, PA, I would recommend some other areas. Harrisburg is pretty far from Wayne. I would recommend living in Chester County as opposed to Dauphin County. Much nicer, more educated, close to Philadelphia but still suburban and very nice. Check out West Chester, Kennett Square, and Chadd's Ford. Really nice areas, much nicer than Harrisburg. Just my two cents from a former resident.

Also, snowfall isn't too bad, front wheel drive should be fine. East coast weather is not as bad as people out west think.....

Old 05-31-2006, 09:10 AM

976 posts, read 3,843,787 times
I use to live in Kennett Square. I now live in Westlake, Ohio. But i will tell you Kennett Square is very nice. About 45 mins from Philly and about 5 mins from Delaware. Kennett Square is safe with good schools. Very nice town.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 34,588 times
Hershey Is Beautiful And A Great Place To Raise Kids. Tough Police There,won't Stand For Any Bull. Want To Stay Out Of Harrisburg, Although Some Nice Areas There, Too Close To Bad Crime. Palmyra And Annville Are Close To Hershey About 5 & 10 Min Away.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:17 PM

645 posts, read 1,271,369 times
Harrisburg isn't a nice place to live. Drugs and crime are all over the place. Sure Harrisburg has some nice areas to vist, but that's about all one can say. The nice parts of Harrisburg are usually a few minutes walk from the ghetto parts. Traffic in Harrisburg is also getting worse each year.

Hershey on the other hand is a different story. The taxes and prices of housing keep the trash out of the town. The two problems I have with Hershey are traffic and expense.

You can move 15 - 25 minutes north of Hershey where it's very inexpensive and so safe that you can leave your home unlocked and the keys in your car while you vacation for a week or two. There is not crime to speak of in areas north of Hershey.

I've lived in Harrisburg, Hershey, Hummelstown, and areas north of these towns. I like the areas north much better.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:06 PM

3 posts, read 18,514 times
I lived in Harrisburg for two years and could not get out of there fast enough. Having lived in both the Philadelphia area and the Harrisburg area, they seem to be two different worlds. The only real positives in Harrisburg were cheaper rents and a nice library system. Other than that I despised it.

Old 07-07-2006, 01:39 PM

4,404 posts, read 9,086,385 times
Yes, Harrisburg is a sad dump! Living outside of the city is good but stay away from the town itself!

Old 07-15-2006, 02:06 AM

40 posts, read 225,154 times
I work in Harrisburg but live in Lancaster and go to school in Philadelphia. Harrisburg has a strange feel about it. It seems that most people work/live in the area because it is the state capital as there are thousands and thousands of state jobs. The city gives me a feeling of being non-authentic/ fake. Perhaps it's because I work in the capitol, but the city just doesn't seem to have a true cultural base. It is as if it is searching for an identity like an insecure teenager hitting puberty.

Hershey is great. You might want to consider living in E-town or metro Lancaster/Philadelphia.

Are you looking for urban, suburban, or rural living?

Old 07-15-2006, 01:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,005,817 times
We lived outside Harrisburg (in Camp Hill) in 1994-95. Harrisburg City is a dump as others have stated. 2 times someone came up to my husband and wanted to sell him stolen goods! No one has ever done that during our trips to NYC!!

It is a very racist area (Central PA). Althought we are white, we did not want to raise our future family in a place where people toss off the "N" word so casually!

We were stared at constantly and people were distrustful of us simply because we came from NY! (suburbs).

One genius said to my husband, "You drove through Brooklyn and didn't get shot?" (What sort of stupidity is that?)

If you must live near Harrisburg, stay in Camp Hill which has nice houses and good, reasonable townhouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area