Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:14 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heit View Post
Gee, I wonder if they are "heterosexual" friendly????

I don't get the "gay friendly" question's. I'm straight, you're gay...........WHO CARES? I don't make a point of telling folks I'm heterosexual. I have no problem with race, religion or sexual preference. These gay friendly questions baffle me??????????????????
When you have people like Sarah Palin and her GOP supporters running amok this becomes a very serious issue for us. We want to live somewhere where we can be treated as equals instead of second-class citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Very well said Paul and I'll add what I did the last time somebody moaned about these sort of threads......until we live in a country where gay folks don't have to worry about discriminatation, violence, and attacks because of who they are it's not a bad idea to scope out an area. Some places are safer than others. Some places have more tolerance. Why shouldn't somebody do research to make sure a place wouldn't contain a ton of hate crimes and/or bigots runnng around galore?

Old 10-24-2008, 12:06 PM

362 posts, read 919,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Very well said Paul and I'll add what I did the last time somebody moaned about these sort of threads......until we live in a country where gay folks don't have to worry about discriminatation, violence, and attacks because of who they are it's not a bad idea to scope out an area. Some places are safer than others. Some places have more tolerance. Why shouldn't somebody do research to make sure a place wouldn't contain a ton of hate crimes and/or bigots runnng around galore?
Who's "moaning"? I am serious. I don't get the gay friendly "research." Here's the reality...........it's not a given "place" it's the people, more to the point, the "individual." You can think you just moved to a more tolerant area only to have Joe-bigot cross your path. In this case this type of individual will most likely have a problem with ALL of us, gay, straight, black, white, etc.......

You can do all the "sexual preference" research you want, whatever is meant to be will be. Simply live and let live and leave your sexual preference at home . We are ALL human beings who are trying to get along. If trouble is meant to happen to you/us, it's going to happen no matter where you/we live and whatever your/our sexual preference.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Who's "moaning"? I am serious. I don't get the gay friendly "research." Here's the reality...........it's not a given "place" it's the people, more to the point, the "individual." You can think you just moved to a more tolerant area only to have Joe-bigot cross your path. In this case this type of individual will most likely have a problem with ALL of us, gay, straight, black, white, etc.......

You can do all the "sexual preference" research you want, whatever is meant to be will be. Simply live and let live and leave your sexual preference at home . We are ALL human beings who are trying to get along. If trouble is meant to happen to you/us, it's going to happen no matter where you/we live and whatever your/our sexual preference.
So are you are saying we should remain in the closet? Leave our sexuality at home? Why should we have to not be ourselves? There should be no issue with gay folks being themselves and they shouldn't have to fear the worse for it. We would like to 'live and let live' but sadly that doesn't always happen because there are crazy people out there who would like to see all gay folks dead. It's not about 'announcing' that we are gay.....it's about being ourselves and not having to fear anything just living our lives being who we are.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:47 PM

362 posts, read 919,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
So are you are saying we should remain in the closet? Leave our sexuality at home? Why should we have to not be ourselves? There should be no issue with gay folks being themselves and they shouldn't have to fear the worse for it. We would like to 'live and let live' but sadly that doesn't always happen because there are crazy people out there who would like to see all gay folks dead. It's not about 'announcing' that we are gay.....it's about being ourselves and not having to fear anything just living our lives being who we are.
Easy RJ. You know and I know I did NOT say anything about "the closet." That is an OLD, old saying as far as I'm concerned. Hey I leave my sexuality at home, it's nobody's business but mine. I am saying what you just stated. BE YOURSELF and let whatever is meant to happen(or not) happen. Why live life paranoid or looking over your shoulder because you are gay(or not). My point is if trouble is going to find you/us, it's going to happen regardless of where we live and how we act.

How many times have you heard about the family who moved to "small-town USA" only to have tragedy fall upon them??? There are CRAZY folks everywhere who would like to see people from all walks of life "dead" for no good reason. They're friggin CRAZY!

I am not going to let these people alter the way I live. I will not give them that kind of power over me. I humbly suggest you do the same. Live life. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Period.

Old 10-24-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Easy RJ. You know and I know I did NOT say anything about "the closet." That is an OLD, old saying as far as I'm concerned. Hey I leave my sexuality at home, it's nobody's business but mine. I am saying what you just stated. BE YOURSELF and let whatever is meant to happen(or not) happen. Why live life paranoid or looking over your shoulder because you are gay(or not). My point is if trouble is going to find you/us, it's going to happen regardless of where we live and how we act.

How many times have you heard about the family who moved to "small-town USA" only to have tragedy fall upon them??? There are CRAZY folks everywhere who would like to see people from all walks of life "dead" for no good reason. They're friggin CRAZY!

I am not going to let these people alter the way I live. I will not give them that kind of power over me. I humbly suggest you do the same. Live life. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Period.
Do you ever go out with a girlfriend or wife in public? Have you ever kissed a girl in public, held hands, or flirted at all? Do you have pictures of a wife or girlfriend at work? That just seems like that is taking heterosexuality out into public. I'm only bringing that up as you state you don't take your heterosexuality out into public and thus gay folks should not either. Plus to say we should be keeping our sexuality only in the home seems like a roundabout way of keeping things in the closet. Just my opinion and of course I don't really know or can say how you mean it only how it comes across.

I am myself out in public. I do not 'gay' it up and go screaming down the streets that I love men but I don't try to act straight either......I just be myself. Sadly I've always been a masculine guy heavily into sports who people just assume to be straight. It's actually surprising to people when I say something that would indicate that I'm gay (like talking about an ex using 'he' or something of that nature). You say that we should keep our sexuality at home but then say we should just be ourselves when out in public. We can't be ourselves if we are leaving our sexuality at home. There are many guys or girls you can tell are gay because of their personalities or characteristics and they are just being themselves.

I don't think asking on the forums if a place is safe is being paranoid at all. I understand that tragedies happen to all types of people. But gay folks have to have those tragedies along with the incidents of violence, mistreatment, and bigotry on top of that. Gay folks are more likely to find danger because of who they are because a good portion of Americans are hateful towards them. A gay person can be walking down the street minding their own business and have a car go by and scream '******' at them or have things thrown out the window toward them because they don't fit the mold of what a straight person looks like. They can also have those hateful terms spraypainted on their personal property only because of who they are. They can lose a job because of being gay although they never bring it up at work (I know as it happened to me once). I'm just saying that gay folks have to look out more for these type of things along with the everyday random acts of violence/bad occurrences. I do live my life being myself but to ignore the fact that somebody may want to beat me up because they know I'm gay isn't that easy sometimes.

I am not trying to be combative but like to have these discussions I think it's a good thing to talk about these things and how different people view situations. I am leaving shortly for the weekend so haven't had much time to look at the above so I apologize if anything doesn't make sense or wasn't expanded upon enough or clearly (although I had a few minutes here and there to look over things before leaving on edits). Going to State College until Monday night.....woohoo!

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 10-24-2008 at 01:46 PM..

Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
I think it's so sad that this even has to be asked.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I think it's so sad that this even has to be asked.
Agreed. Unfortunately hatred and prejudice are still very much alive here in PA. I'm reminded of this whenever anyone screams a slur at me when they drive past me on my runs in our small towns.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:10 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Agreed. Unfortunately hatred and prejudice are still very much alive here in PA. I'm reminded of this whenever anyone screams a slur at me when they drive past me on my runs in our small towns.

I guess living in center city Philly puts me somewhat in a [nice] bubble. I'm just a block away from our gayborhood.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I guess living in center city Philly puts me somewhat in a [nice] bubble. I'm just a block away from our gayborhood.
Rub it in! LOL! Well, I live next-door to someone with an Obama sign on their front lawn! Does that mean I live in a liberal haven?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area