U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2008, 08:42 PM

2 posts, read 6,686 times

Advertisements

My Husband is getting a job in Shippensburg. Any info on schools and neighborhoods in and within a 1 hr radius. We are currently in Michigan
Tx
Dina
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 PM

31,629 posts, read 71,965,900 times
I've always liked Carlisle. It's just under a half-hour's drive to Shippensburg, and both communities lie along I-81. Carlisle would be a nice place to live because it is midway between Shippensburg and Harrisburg, our state capital, where you'll find much more shopping, dining, nightlife, sports, etc.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,528,536 times
Ship is about one hour from Harrisburg, PA (state capital) to the north and 45 minutes to Hagerstown, MD south. It is a college town (Ship.Univ.) and seems like most of the crime is student related, such as public intox, disturbing the peace,mip. The univ is downtown so unless you live downtown you probably won't even notice. There are a lot of nice family neighborhoods in and around Ship. Very rural area still.
Not much shopping there...Carlisle has Target, Pier One, TJMaxx, Ross and more from what I recall. Chambersburg, which is 7 miles south of Ship, has Kohl's, Target, Michael's, Staples, SuperWalmart, JoAnn Fabrics, and more, and the mall, which is 5 miles south of Ship, has JCP, Sears, Burlington , a movie theatre, and one story of typical mall stores. There are some good restaurants too in Chbg. Hagerstown has tons of shopping with a bigger mall, ToysrUs, Sam's Club. More restaurants.

Regarding housing, PA is much cheaper than MD. There are houses in my neighborhood in Chbg that have reduced over $50 grand. Schools in PA are run by the cities, and I think Ship is pretty good. Chbg has been upgrading lately, and are pretty good too. MD schools are run by the county. Hagerstown is in Washington County, but I know nothing of their schools....
We moved here from MD in March 08 and we love it...much cheaper here and nice people, relaxed atmosphere. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area