U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2008, 09:29 AM

11 posts, read 25,752 times

Advertisements

Looking to move west of Harrisburg, within 30 minutes of the airport. Would prefer "small town w/main street and shops" feel and close to parks and trails for hiking and running. Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg seem to have good reps. Any other suggestions out there?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:42 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,346,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beernrunning View Post
Looking to move west of Harrisburg, within 30 minutes of the airport. Would prefer "small town w/main street and shops" feel and close to parks and trails for hiking and running. Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg seem to have good reps. Any other suggestions out there?
Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg are great. New Cumberland is another nice town. You could also check out Lemoyne, the downtown doesn't look so hot but is getting a nice facelift soon. Elizabethtown and Hummelstown are good towns but on the east side of Harrisburg, still close to the airport (which is on the east shore).

Old 11-23-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks very much!

Old 11-23-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Small town - close to woods and Hbg. airport

Dan (and certainly others),

You seem like the go-to guy on these forums. I'm sure many people, including myself, appreciate your input. Going to be more specific and pick your brain some more. I'm new to the forum concept, so sorry if I'm a bit off on protocol.

This is piggy-backing on my earlier post "west of Harrisburg". Maybe this is asking for too much, but ideally I'd like:

>Within 30 minutes of Hbg. airport
>Small town with coffee shop and nice bar(s), walkable and safe
>Decent apt. rental options
>Michaux State Forest looks like the most serious BIG WOODS within about 1 hour from Hbg. I'd like to be within 30 minutes of it

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:48 PM

2,493 posts, read 6,671,687 times
Maybe check out Carlisle. I went up there a couple of times in college & seems like it has everything boith are looking for.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,346,994 times
Quote:
Dan (and certainly others),

You seem like the go-to guy on these forums. I'm sure many people, including myself, appreciate your input. Going to be more specific and pick your brain some more. I'm new to the forum concept, so sorry if I'm a bit off on protocol.

This is piggy-backing on my earlier post "west of Harrisburg". Maybe this is asking for too much, but ideally I'd like:

>Within 30 minutes of Hbg. airport
>Small town with coffee shop and nice bar(s), walkable and safe
>Decent apt. rental options
>Michaux State Forest looks like the most serious BIG WOODS within about 1 hour from Hbg. I'd like to be within 30 minutes of it

Thanks in advance!
Probably the only place within 30 minutes of both is Carlisle. It's a great college town with bars, coffee shops and a walkable downtown. Obviously with the college there are a lot of rentals. Good luck!

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 AM

1,563 posts, read 4,074,866 times
Mount holly springs is pretty nice too, though a little farther from the airport, it's a more small town feel, and closer to the forest

Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 AM

Thanks! I guess it goes without saying that the small towns between (as the crow flies) Michaux and the airport don't offer much. Just bedroom communities.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:49 AM

557 posts, read 1,727,436 times
Quote:
Why just the Michaux State Forest? PA is loaded with State Game lands everywhere. Why only west of Harrisburg? Lancaster County is worth checking out too.

I'd rather live in Elizabethtown, PA for the better quality of life and lower taxes. You'd be 15 minutes from the airport and 25 minutes from Harrisburg. You have the Susquehanna River 7 minutes away and Mount Gretna state game lands are only 15-20 minutes away for all your hiking, hunting, nature needs. Check out the observation tower when in the area My Website > Home.

Conewago trail is 2 miles from E-town's downtown and offers all your hiking, biking, running needs. Hike for Health - 18 Conewago/Lebanon Valley Trails - Pa. DCNR

In Central PA you are never far away from BIG WOODS.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-24-2008 at 11:05 AM..

Old 11-24-2008, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have some other reasons for the "west of Hbg." idea. I have family in the western PA area and want to cut my drive time down a bit when visiting (I currently live in Lititz). And yes, Mt. Gretna is very nice and currently my woods fix. I know looking at a map can only show so much, but Michaux looks pretty significant and sizable compared to just about anything within 1 hour of Harrisburg. But then again, maybe I'm being too narrow and short-sighted

In any event, I really appreciate your thoughts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area