Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,819 times

Advertisements

Hey I may get a job offer in the Hershey area in the coming weeks, and I've pretty much ruled out Harrisburg as a potential place to live after browsing this forum and looking at the city data. I don't mind a long commute because I know I can't tolerate the rural setting of Hershey.
So with Harrisburg out of the question, what are my options? I need an area with a lot of potential for socializing with professionals my age (25ish) and a vibrant night-life. So either an urban area like that or one of its sub-urbans. I'm not seeing any area nearby with that potential, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 05:33 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Well, if you don't like Harrisburg you can try Lancaster. Lancaster City: Moving to Lancaster Or maybe York. However I'm not sure whatever turned you off of Harrisburg is much different in either of those small cities.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:48 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
You may have to extend your commute time and locate to the northwestern portion of Philly.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:13 PM

I saw quite a few comments about drugs and violence in Harrisburg so that's what turned me off. Of course I know the same elements exist in bigger cities, but I'm just worried that with a small city its more difficult to escape it. Thanks for the tip about Lancaster, I'll check it out. NW of Philly is def too far so I hope Lancaster impresses me.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:57 PM

Ok so I just read a thread "Diversity in Lancaster County PA"...and I'm not too impressed. I would hate to have to refuse an offer in this economy, but location really means alot to me.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Black Professional View Post
Hey I may get a job offer in the Hershey area in the coming weeks, and I've pretty much ruled out Harrisburg as a potential place to live after browsing this forum and looking at the city data. I don't mind a long commute because I know I can't tolerate the rural setting of Hershey.
So with Harrisburg out of the question, what are my options? I need an area with a lot of potential for socializing with professionals my age (25ish) and a vibrant night-life. So either an urban area like that or one of its sub-urbans. I'm not seeing any area nearby with that potential, please enlighten me if I'm wrong.
Thanks!
Uhh....you just described Harrisburg. Too bad you ruled it out. Harrisburg has a very active young professionals group. Harrisburg Young Professionals

Old 03-23-2009, 06:37 AM

11 posts, read 44,496 times
Hi - my husband and i have a cute 1500sq ft single for sale in Lebanon city. There is a lot of diversity there, close to Harrisburg, Hershey, Lancaster, and Reading. It is really close to the Hospital. We lived there when he was a resident. We used to walk to grocery store, downtown to restaurants, YMCA (its a GREAT one), farmers' market. We are just tired of having it, since we are far away now, and rental stuff is a pain. We are selling this spring. Let me know if you'd like pictures!
Take care

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 44,496 times
Oh yeah, also - its only about 15-25 minutes to Hershey, depending on what part of Hershey.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
janemom:
My guess is that if he doesn't want to live in Hershey for the reasons mentioned, he certainly wouldn't find anything in Lebanon to attract him.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:29 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
I'm surprised Harrisburg was written off. Sure some of the city is a downright GHETTO, but the Midtown/Downtown area has been bouncing back VERY nicely as of late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area