U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,242 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I was interested in re-locating to HBG because of the affordable way of living and its not to far from my home town. I'm currently in New York City (The Bronx), where a decent Studio
apartment can run from $850+. So I would love a nice big apartment for that price. I saw Affordable apartment complex's on Rent.com ranging $599-900 for 2-3 bedrroms in the Harrisburg Section. Some are to good to be true. Where I'm from in NYC...your lucky to get a Shoebox appartment for $850+.
I'm a nurse finishing up my internship and soon will be looking for some Hospitals in PA hopefully by this Summer.
I want to move so bad, I love New York, but I cant stand the Cost of living. I want to move where it's Half decent and mostly safe.
I know no City or Suburb is perfect, but I'm single and will be living on my own.

So if you have good advice of what streets, sections and neighborhoods to beware of please let me know. I also would like to know about area's that are diverse...I don't want to live in a part that's just one Race even if its my own.

Thanks for hearing me Out!
Nursebetty85
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,973,623 times
Hi Nurse Betty!

There's quite a bit of recent information on the Harrisburg area on these forums. I've put some of the links I've subscribed to below. I'm on Long Island and looking to move to PA for a lower cost of living so I can have a life, not just work to pay bills!

I know there are some very good hospitals in the area, making your search for work much easier than mine. Best of luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...ea-thread.html

Allentown/Bethlehem area vs. Harrisburg/York area

Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,256,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursebetty85 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I was interested in re-locating to HBG because of the affordable way of living and its not to far from my home town. I'm currently in New York City (The Bronx), where a decent Studio
apartment can run from $850+. So I would love a nice big apartment for that price. I saw Affordable apartment complex's on Rent.com ranging $599-900 for 2-3 bedrroms in the Harrisburg Section. Some are to good to be true. Where I'm from in NYC...your lucky to get a Shoebox appartment for $850+.
I'm a nurse finishing up my internship and soon will be looking for some Hospitals in PA hopefully by this Summer.
I want to move so bad, I love New York, but I cant stand the Cost of living. I want to move where it's Half decent and mostly safe.
I know no City or Suburb is perfect, but I'm single and will be living on my own.

So if you have good advice of what streets, sections and neighborhoods to beware of please let me know. I also would like to know about area's that are diverse...I don't want to live in a part that's just one Race even if its my own.

Thanks for hearing me Out!
Nursebetty85
Welcome! You should look in Midtown, Downtown and Shipoke. Stay away from anything that says on the "Hill"....some areas are okay but there's just too much crime. The areas that are okay (above State street) don't have a lot of amenities and are far from the restaurants/shops in downtown.

I live in Midtown and have neighbors that moved here from Washington, DC, Philadelphia and New York in search of a lower cost of living. One recently opened up a deli/bakery on 3rd street, something she could never afford to do in DC.

You are going to see a lot of listings for Green street, which is one of the best streets in Midtown (quiet and residential yet close to restaurants, downtown and river) which is good from the 2000 block and below. Same goes for Penn street and Susquehanna which you may also see listings for. 2nd street is good the entire stretch, but above the 2100 block or so it starts to get a bit more suburban and far from a lot of stuff (but still close to parks).
If you have any other questions just ask!

Old 04-03-2009, 05:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,242 times
Thank You, I will check out those links.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or