U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 12:01 AM

330 posts, read 1,861,842 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!

We are considering a move back east from the weat coast and we are currently researching a few areas.

We read and heard alot about Harrisburg being a pretty nice place to raise a family. Can anybody reading this please Recommend a a few names of some safe/nice Harrisburg Pa suburbs. We would prefer to be on the south east side of Harrisburg.

Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 04:59 PM

33 posts, read 225,504 times
I would recommend Lower Paxton Twp or South Hanover as probably the best areas to look. Its composed primarily of zip codes 17112, 17110, and 17109, but the township lines don't follow the zip code lines so its not 100% accurate. These zip codes include Hummelstown, Union Deposit, Colonial Park, Linglestown, Progress, & Paxtonia. I'm from his area, and its definitely my favorite part of Harrisburg. Its safe, clean, uncongested (except near the shopping centers), has local police & many recently updated schools.

These mentioned areas are all on the North-east & East sides of Harrisburg tho...

You stated you're looking on the SE side. If you look south east, you get into the Steelton, Highspire, Middletown areas, which are somewhat rundown in some areas and less family friendly. If you go a few more miles SE from Middletown you get to the TMI (Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant). That whole TMI area is a big no-no for me .

You may also want to consider the west shore areas of Harrisburg: Camp Hill, Enola, New Cumberland. There is some really nice suburbia in those area too.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 PM

1,172 posts, read 1,957,920 times
Directly east - southeast of Hsrrisburg along Derry St. is Paxtang. It always struck me as a nice little community, somewhere between the city neighborhoods and more suburban areas. It is adjacent to some less desirable area though.

How far of a commute are you looking for? 20 - 30 mins SE on 283 is Elizabethtown, Lancaster County. I'd say it is a very nice town.

I like Linglestown and Hummelstown on the east side as well.

In my opinion the best areas are on the west shore. I really like New Cumberland, Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill, Wormleysburg, etc...Great access to the city and a completely different feel.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,681,012 times
I'm partial to Camp Hill. It's right next to Harrisburg for an easy commute, but suburban with pleasant quiet residential communities. It also has a good deal of dining and shopping options just a stone's throw away.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,284,950 times
Harrisburg's southeast suburbs are the worst in terms of a nice/safe setting. Steelton and Highspire are due southeast and are pretty poor and don't have the best schools. Then again, it has some of the cheapest housing around. Some nicer suburbs more to the east are Swatara township, Lower Paxton Township, and Hummelstown. Hershey (Derry Township) is a bit further to the east, it's a very nice community with great schools, but it also has the most expensive housing in the area. You could also look at the Middletown area which is about 10 minutes southeast of Harrisburg, it's an okay area.

In terms of "raising a family" your best option for a Harrisburg suburb is probably Camp Hill, but it's just west of the city. Most of the west shore communities are great suburbs with better schools then on the east shore.

Old 04-04-2007, 08:46 AM

222 posts, read 1,320,980 times
I would also suggest trying to stay in lower paxton. it is fairly safe and quiet. i would definatly stay away from harrisburg city, penbrook, paxtang, steelton, highspire, oberlin, lemoyne and enola. they are kind of run down and only getting worse. susquahannah and union deposit are border areas, some very nice areas, but they also they have run down sections too. apartment complexes in that area are home to some shady people. the crime (mostly drugs, but ocasionally burgluries and shootings) is increasing in those areas.

some good areas to consider are probably colonial park, linglestown, paxtonia or hummlestown. new cumberland, mechanicsburg, lower allen, middletown and elizabethtown are good too. hershey and camp hill are probably the safest (and most expensive) areas too. there is lots of shopping in the area on rt 22, they have plenty of doctors, dentists and insurance agencies, lots of variety. they have fast food rest. and fine dining rests. a lot of people say the area is conservative, i think so, but many people fair to note that harrisburg has one of the most active gay scenes in the state, our mayor here is gay and there is a pridefest every year, there are also at least 3 gay churches. i'd say its about half and half. its not too conservaticve or too liberal, its just depends where you are. the people here are okay, as someone said before they are pretty reserved and take some time to get used to. break out of their shell.

Basically the further away from the city the better you are. but like any town there is a drug problem here, its not major. in the city, people shoot each otehr over nothing, but in the suburbs there might be a few car breakins or something like that, theft from stores. nothing crazy, meth and heroin are also growing problems here.

there are hundreds of jobs waiting to be taken. monster.com, harrisburghelpwanted.com, pennlive.com, etc. many people live in the suburbs and work in the city, some live in the country and work in the suburbs, some commute from city to city. lebanon is about 35 minutes from harrisburg, carlisle is about 30 minutes, york abour 30 and lancaster about 45 mins.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
I would also suggest trying to stay in lower paxton. it is fairly safe and quiet. i would definatly stay away from harrisburg city, penbrook, paxtang, steelton, highspire, oberlin, lemoyne and enola. they are kind of run down and only getting worse. susquahannah and union deposit are border areas, some very nice areas, but they also they have run down sections too. apartment complexes in that area are home to some shady people. the crime (mostly drugs, but ocasionally burgluries and shootings) is increasing in those areas.

some good areas to consider are probably colonial park, linglestown, paxtonia or hummlestown. new cumberland, mechanicsburg, lower allen, middletown and elizabethtown are good too. hershey and camp hill are probably the safest (and most expensive) areas too. there is lots of shopping in the area on rt 22, they have plenty of doctors, dentists and insurance agencies, lots of variety. they have fast food rest. and fine dining rests. a lot of people say the area is conservative, i think so, but many people fair to note that harrisburg has one of the most active gay scenes in the state, our mayor here is gay and there is a pridefest every year, there are also at least 3 gay churches. i'd say its about half and half. its not too conservaticve or too liberal, its just depends where you are. the people here are okay, as someone said before they are pretty reserved and take some time to get used to. break out of their shell.

Basically the further away from the city the better you are. but like any town there is a drug problem here, its not major. in the city, people shoot each otehr over nothing, but in the suburbs there might be a few car breakins or something like that, theft from stores. nothing crazy, meth and heroin are also growing problems here.

there are hundreds of jobs waiting to be taken. monster.com, harrisburghelpwanted.com, pennlive.com, etc. many people live in the suburbs and work in the city, some live in the country and work in the suburbs, some commute from city to city. lebanon is about 35 minutes from harrisburg, carlisle is about 30 minutes, york abour 30 and lancaster about 45 mins.
Why are you so down on the city of Harrisburg? It's a small city, but it's not like the whole thing has gone to hell. There are lots of nice areas, midtown, Shipoke, and uptown along the river with great walkable neighborhoods and amazing architecture, not to mention you are close to all the restuarants and nightclubs. I've been to the city a million times and never had a problem.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Why are you so down on the city of Harrisburg? It's a small city, but it's not like the whole thing has gone to hell. There are lots of nice areas, midtown, Shipoke, and uptown along the river with great walkable neighborhoods and amazing architecture, not to mention you are close to all the restuarants and nightclubs. I've been to the city a million times and never had a problem.
I wouldnt say it's totally bad. You can buy a 6 bedroom home for like 20K, that's not bad at all, but people should know about their personal safety in an area like that. There havent been too many random homicides in the city in several years. However i think it's safe to say you dont want to leave you keys in your car with your windows rolled down either. I both lived and awent to school in harrisburg, I never really had any problems either, they have a great vietnamese rest. on 3rd and reily, i go there about once a week. in fact, almost all the vietnamese places are in the city.

Front, Second and Third street are very safe, most of the downtown area is. I think one guy got shot there in the past 10 years. also a homless guy got crushed to death on the train tracks. Shipoke is very very nice and I never heard of any problems there. I loved walking around there and photographing the houses, and looking at the street names, such as Randall Shugart St. but the topic of the post was nice / safe area. Harrisburg city has 12 killings last year, and even larger number of other problems, Steelton had 2 homicides (one guy got shot at the club, the other was that old lady who was killed, then the guy burnt her house down) i was using my experience and judgement to help inform someone who has no idea of the situation. A) You could walk around in broad daylight and never have a problem. B) Or you could go to 18th and walnut (MMT store) and have a guy try to sell you crack cocaine while youre trying to use the payphone because you locked your keys out of the house. Either could happen.

I'd say this week I've been to harrisburg about 4 or 5 times, and didnt have any problems, but seriously. People walk in front of your car all the time, flip you off, yell at you, ask for money. It's not a great place to be. It has excellent neighborhoods taht are well kept and show pride of ownership, there there are other rundown dilapidated rowhomes where homeless people and drug addicts live. You cant get a parking spot anywhere, people always doublepark you in if you do, and then in many neighborhoods there trash and litter everywhere, like parents teach their kids that its OK to litter? I cant believe that. Kids running all over town without any parental supervision at all. (that happens in other places also not just HBG)

Its true Lower Paxton and Susq. Twp have had domestic violence that has lead to peoples deaths, and even this year in Union Deposit (twin lakes apartment complex) there was a shooting, but no injuries. There is always vandalism and teenagers harrasing everyone, but you'll get that anywhere. I would feel very bad if i moved into the City and had no idea or what was going on there. you can find drugs anywhere, but the city is out of control with drugs and crime and violence. you look someone in the eye wrong and it can lead to a fight, or if you dont move out of someone's way they'll hit you, or they'll pull in front of you at the kline village giant and not even care. Or you'll go into west coast video late at night at 9:45 and the clerk will say 'were closed' just because he doesnt feel like working anymore. I dont know if you've driven down Market street past 5th, but its in very bad shape. there are potholes all over, nothing is marked anywhere on the street, it goes from two lanes to one on market and 29th, and everywhere else. Then you have people on city council crying about everything. Cry me a river then steal tax payers money and go gambling with it. Gambling Addicts.

Harrisburg City does have the whittaker center, greyhound, amtrak, city island, the PRIDE OF THE SUSQUEHANNA, lawyers, doctors, banks, PennDOT, the Forum, The Capitol, State Museum. Patriot-news Artsfest, kipona, all kinds of bars, churches, i always like the ZION AME methodist churcxh on state streat near the parking garages, that is very nice. pretty much everything you can need. Harrisburg is a very beautiful city, some people say its undergoing a rebirth. That is definatly true, homevalues have doubled and trippled in some places, my friend bought a place on 13th and derry and then after 4 years sold it for double his investment. It has some awesome churches and office buildings, the churches on Pine street are som nice, the Cows all around town are cool too. Strawberry Square, they have a number of Satellite colleges springing up there, Wildwood park is nice, as is italian lake and riverfront. all the major hospitals are also in Harrisburg, that's cool. They have nice parks in some areas and they usually are pretty quick to lure new buisinesses to the downtown.

What harrisburg city really needs is more police and less absentee landlords. They need to demolish about a thousand abandoned homes around town and plant some treets. Seriously, Its not terrible, but it's not exactly a paradise either.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openless View Post
I wouldnt say it's totally bad. You can buy a 6 bedroom home for like 20K, that's not bad at all, but people should know about their personal safety in an area like that. There havent been too many random homicides in the city in several years. However i think it's safe to say you dont want to leave you keys in your car with your windows rolled down either. I both lived and awent to school in harrisburg, I never really had any problems either, they have a great vietnamese rest. on 3rd and reily, i go there about once a week. in fact, almost all the vietnamese places are in the city.

Front, Second and Third street are very safe, most of the downtown area is. I think one guy got shot there in the past 10 years. also a homless guy got crushed to death on the train tracks. Shipoke is very very nice and I never heard of any problems there. I loved walking around there and photographing the houses, and looking at the street names, such as Randall Shugart St. but the topic of the post was nice / safe area. Harrisburg city has 12 killings last year, and even larger number of other problems, Steelton had 2 homicides (one guy got shot at the club, the other was that old lady who was killed, then the guy burnt her house down) i was using my experience and judgement to help inform someone who has no idea of the situation. A) You could walk around in broad daylight and never have a problem. B) Or you could go to 18th and walnut (MMT store) and have a guy try to sell you crack cocaine while youre trying to use the payphone because you locked your keys out of the house. Either could happen.

I'd say this week I've been to harrisburg about 4 or 5 times, and didnt have any problems, but seriously. People walk in front of your car all the time, flip you off, yell at you, ask for money. It's not a great place to be. It has excellent neighborhoods taht are well kept and show pride of ownership, there there are other rundown dilapidated rowhomes where homeless people and drug addicts live. You cant get a parking spot anywhere, people always doublepark you in if you do, and then in many neighborhoods there trash and litter everywhere, like parents teach their kids that its OK to litter? I cant believe that. Kids running all over town without any parental supervision at all. (that happens in other places also not just HBG)

Its true Lower Paxton and Susq. Twp have had domestic violence that has lead to peoples deaths, and even this year in Union Deposit (twin lakes apartment complex) there was a shooting, but no injuries. There is always vandalism and teenagers harrasing everyone, but you'll get that anywhere. I would feel very bad if i moved into the City and had no idea or what was going on there. you can find drugs anywhere, but the city is out of control with drugs and crime and violence. you look someone in the eye wrong and it can lead to a fight, or if you dont move out of someone's way they'll hit you, or they'll pull in front of you at the kline village giant and not even care. Or you'll go into west coast video late at night at 9:45 and the clerk will say 'were closed' just because he doesnt feel like working anymore. I dont know if you've driven down Market street past 5th, but its in very bad shape. there are potholes all over, nothing is marked anywhere on the street, it goes from two lanes to one on market and 29th, and everywhere else. Then you have people on city council crying about everything. Cry me a river then steal tax payers money and go gambling with it. Gambling Addicts.

Harrisburg City does have the whittaker center, greyhound, amtrak, city island, the PRIDE OF THE SUSQUEHANNA, lawyers, doctors, banks, PennDOT, the Forum, The Capitol, State Museum. Patriot-news Artsfest, kipona, all kinds of bars, churches, i always like the ZION AME methodist churcxh on state streat near the parking garages, that is very nice. pretty much everything you can need. Harrisburg is a very beautiful city, some people say its undergoing a rebirth. That is definatly true, homevalues have doubled and trippled in some places, my friend bought a place on 13th and derry and then after 4 years sold it for double his investment. It has some awesome churches and office buildings, the churches on Pine street are som nice, the Cows all around town are cool too. Strawberry Square, they have a number of Satellite colleges springing up there, Wildwood park is nice, as is italian lake and riverfront. all the major hospitals are also in Harrisburg, that's cool. They have nice parks in some areas and they usually are pretty quick to lure new buisinesses to the downtown.

What harrisburg city really needs is more police and less absentee landlords. They need to demolish about a thousand abandoned homes around town and plant some treets. Seriously, Its not terrible, but it's not exactly a paradise either.
Ok, once again, you mentioned a bunch of negative stuff that happens in every city in this country. Harrisburg's bad neighborhoods are no different then any other cities, and everything you described could happen in any ghetto place in Philly, Baltimore or heck even Allentown or Erie. What are you doing in the ghetto areas? The point is Harrisburg also has some GREAT neighborhoods, and every time you paint the entire city as a ghetto you give out the wrong impression. I know people who have lived in Harrisburg for years and have never had a single incident...and I plan on moving into the city in a few years.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I plan on moving into the city in a few years.
good it needs a few upstanding citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area