U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2007, 11:48 AM

29 posts, read 107,030 times

Advertisements

We're being offered a new job in Carlisle, PA. This will be a HUGE change from where we live now - a suburb of Chicago. That's OK, we came from small towns and liked them, as long as we had the amenities, shopping, etc. (nothing fancy needed, but a Target, standard Department stores, a Best Buy, ect.)

We'll be able to spend about $250,000 to $300,000 on a house. Our "ideal" home would be in a nice treed neighborhood, a newer home, nice community. I'm willing to drive 20 minutes or so to work if needed. Oh, good high school for my daughter (she's ADD, needs some good teachers.)

Suggestions? Places to look for, places to avoid?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,413,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff lackey View Post
We're being offered a new job in Carlisle, PA. This will be a HUGE change from where we live now - a suburb of Chicago. That's OK, we came from small towns and liked them, as long as we had the amenities, shopping, etc. (nothing fancy needed, but a Target, standard Department stores, a Best Buy, ect.)

We'll be able to spend about $250,000 to $300,000 on a house. Our "ideal" home would be in a nice treed neighborhood, a newer home, nice community. I'm willing to drive 20 minutes or so to work if needed. Oh, good high school for my daughter (she's ADD, needs some good teachers.)

Thanks!
If you're getting a job in Carlisle, there are two areas you should look at. One being the smaller immediate Carlisle area (it's a big town surrounded by some suburban stuff), and the "west shore" which is really the western suburbs of Harrisburg, still a very easy commute to Carlisle.

The town of Carlisle is very nice, and you shouldn't have a problem finding a nice home for that price in-town. The school district is good too. But if you insist on living in a newer subdivision, there are plenty of those around the town as well. Look for South Middleton Township, which is just south of Carlisle. Downtown Carlisle has a lot of neat boutique stores and cafes/restaurants, but all of the big-box stores are on the south side of town. There is a brand new Target, Kohls and a few chain restaurants that have just opened up. All of the big-box shopping is on the border of the borough of Carlisle and South Middleton Township.

If you consider the "west shore", look at Hampden or Silver Spring township. Both are more attatched to Harrisburg then Carlisle, but they are both part of the excellent Cumberland Valley School District, which has pretty much the best high school in south central Pennsylvania. It's still an easy 15 minute commute to Carlisle, 20 minutes to Harrisburg. The west shore area has more amenities then Carlisle, plus you're closer to the bigger city of Harrisburg for cultural/nightlife/more shopping opportunities.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

29 posts, read 107,030 times
Thanks, that's very helpful. Where does Mechanicsburg fall in all of this?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:47 PM

20 posts, read 111,569 times
Here's my cut&paste reply to a previous post...

I'll bite. I grew up in Carlisle and go back regularly to see family still there. It is foremost a small town, maybe 15,000. It is also a college town with Dickinson College, Dickinson Law School (now owned by Penn State) and the Army War College all located in Carlisle.

Pluses--excellent public schools, all under the umbrella of the Carlisle School District. More "cultural" activity than many small towns, thanks to the offerings of the colleges (but don't expect NYC, either.) Low crime rate (but don't expect Mayberry, Carlisle has its racial tensions and drug issues, too, and has for years..), far lower cost of living than what you have now. A few decent restaurants, plenty of good pizza and hoagies, and the best produce comes from the farmer's markets, not the grocery stores. Carlisle is, politically speaking, a more conservative area but has plenty of more progressive folks, too. Nice hiking and small lakes with picnic areas nearby. The people are like many in PA--friendly but reserved. The town itself is charming and historic, in many parts with plenty of areas to walk a dog, push a stroller, etc. Even the surrounding "new" developments are pretty nice.

On the other hand... not much in the way of shopping. Need clothing? Catalogs or drive out of town , though I think some chain stores are moving in. Nearly all the old down-town stores, some of which were quite nice, are gone. Get used to humidity which comes and goes. The weather can be lovely, or brutal. Where will you work? Growing up, most parents of my friends worked in education or were connected with schools or colleges in some way, or were small business owners or professionals. Otherwise, they commuted to places like Harrisburg. Older historic towns can be a bit snobby. Socioeconomic conditions range from highly educated and prosperous all the way down to the bottom of the scale.

Good luck with your choice. Hope this mini-lesson on Carlisle (emphasis on the second syllable) helps.

For you, I'll add--Carlisle High School (the only public high school in Carlisle) was considered quite good, and I believe still is. That being said, most of the schools in the area, like C.V. (large), Boiling Springs (tiny) all had good reputations. This is not an urban area so the schools escape some of the urban ills and most folks in the area value education which is reflected in the schools. If your daughter has some special needs, your best bet is to visit the schools in the area, if possible, and talk to the staff. There are some Catholic elementary and high schools in the greater Harrisburg area but not too many private schools.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks, that's very helpful. Where does Mechanicsburg fall in all of this?
Silver Spring and Hampden townships, which I mentioned, are right outside of the borough of Mechanicsburg. Mechanicsburg borough is a very nice urban town with tree-lined streets and good schools, but it's all older housing and you said you were looking for something newer so I overlooked it. The borough is about 10 minutes or so from downtown Carlisle. Hampden and Silver Spring townships fall under the Mechanicsburg zipcode, so their addresses will read Mechanicsburg, but they are technically different municipalities. Hope this helps!

Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 39,921 times
Default Lackey

Quote:

Thanks!
I was born & raised in Carlisle a long time ago. I am 72 years old and left Carlisle when I went to college. Other posts accurately describe the living conditions at Carlisle. What I remember the most, was the nearby mountains where you can hike and swim in mountain lakes like at Pine Grove Furnance and Laurel Lake. I am sure there have been many changes since my time.

If you have children, Carlisle is a good environment for them.

What I want to add is you have a good Carlisle name....Lackey, same as mine. At one time there were several Lackey's living in Carlisle, but I think most are gone now. The Lackey family was in construction business for about 75 years and built many of the major buildings in Carlisle such as Dickinson College Law School (looks like Independence Hall), Dickinson College Gym & Swimming Pool (Lackey name is on the plaque) (we owned part of the "North Mountain" where the stone came from for the building and other buildings at the college), Wilson Hotel, Allenberry at Boiling Springs, etc. My mother's maiden was Ritter, and the Ritters were paving contractors.

Best of luck...

Old 06-18-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no signal View Post
carlisle actually sucks. i live here and i hate it. too noisy with all the semis that go through here. the traffic is really bad. i sit at a light for almost 15 minutes at a time and the people dont know how to drive. and most of the town is a dump too. i moved here thinking the town would be nice cuz i passed through here 5 years ago and it was nice. what a difference a few years makes.
Most of the town is a dump? Hardly. I guess for most people these days, any homes that don't resemble a McMansion built in a cul-de-sac passes for a "dump"...Carlisle has a wonderful historic district and many great homes. Aside from a small (a couple blocks) dumpy area on the northeast side of town, it's a nice place to live.

Traffic--well the truck traffic in town HAS to stop, that's for sure, and the mayor is looking into ways to end that. Otherwise traffic in Carlisle is a breeze, right off 81 and the shopping areas are right outside town.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:44 PM

5 posts, read 39,921 times
Default "gone to hell since 1998"

What happened in 1998 that changed things?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:31 PM

27,235 posts, read 44,699,442 times
Is Carlisle itself in Franklin or Cumberland County, first off?

I know two businesses that are in Carlisle. Home Depot and Wachovia.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM

3,520 posts, read 8,777,183 times
Carlisle is the county seat of Cumberland County.

This message is obviously late, but I think living in Carlisle would work quite well for you Jeff. IMO, Carlisle is one of the nicest towns in central PA, and it actually some of the shopping you are looking for that is at most 4-5 miles from the center of town. Carlisle is also only 20 miles from Harrisburg and 10-15 miles from the Harrisburg "West Shore" shopping located in eastern Cumberland County.

The Mechanicsburg area would also be a very good choice, and even Shippensburg could work for you, though that is further away from Carlisle and doesn't have as much shopping nearby (the "bigger" shopping for Shippensburg would in the Chambersburg area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area