U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 50,241 times

Advertisements

I am a recent college grad and am heavily considering taking a position in the Harrisburg area. Does anyone have suggestions on the best places to live both in the city, and any suburbs that are good for young professionals? Maybe the more safer places? I have never lived in that part of PA so I would appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 AM

7,932 posts, read 14,676,163 times
You're probably better off posting this in the general Pennsylvania forum, but from being around the Harrisburg area a little bit, I'd say Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Carlisle, Colonial Park, Hershey, Palmyra, Hummelstown, Middletown are all good towns. If you don't mind being in a more rural setting, Millersburg is a nice little town, but its probably a pain to drive to Harrisburg from there in the winter, you have to drive up and down a steep mountain.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:20 PM

996 posts, read 3,072,827 times
My sister lives near Linglestown in a community where she rents a townhouse (Blue Mountain?). It seems like a nice area from the times we've visited and I've never heard her mention any crime. It is definitely more of a rural/suburban area, but only a few exits down from downtown Harrisburg.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:16 PM

703 posts, read 1,446,010 times
I wouldn't live anywhere but Midtown Harrisburg.

It's only a couple minute car ride/taxi cab back to the bars and restaurants on 2nd St. There's also an outstanding farmer's market called the Broad Street Market. As a recent college graduate and young professional, being near the center of the action is probably important to you. It's also likely close to your workplace. But if commute times and being close to city amenities don't do much for you, then the places go phillies named are fine. (That is, if you like mind-numbingly boring suburbia and 20-30 minute commutes into the city. Harrisburg traffic is notoriously bad.)

One particular place I'd recommend elsewhere downtown is Pennsylvania Place. It's just a block or two from 2nd St. bars, restaurants, a Starbucks, the Whitaker Center, etc. And it's literally adjacent to the Harrisburg Amtrak terminal.

Whatever you do, I recommend you join Harrisburg Young Professionals.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:55 PM

15,397 posts, read 20,882,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

It's only a couple minute car ride/taxi cab back to the bars and restaurants on 2nd St. There's also an outstanding farmer's market called the Broad Street Market. As a recent college graduate and young professional, being near the center of the action is probably important to you. It's also likely close to your workplace. But if commute times and being close to city amenities don't do much for you, then the places go phillies named are fine. (That is, if you like mind-numbingly boring suburbia and 20-30 minute commutes into the city. Harrisburg traffic is notoriously bad.)

One particular place I'd recommend elsewhere downtown is Pennsylvania Place. It's just a block or two from 2nd St. bars, restaurants, a Starbucks, the Whitaker Center, etc. And it's literally adjacent to the Harrisburg Amtrak terminal.

I'm tempted!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >>>>truce......

Old 05-14-2009, 05:59 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,346,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Commish View Post

Good post. Midtown or Downtown is for you.

I have seen a lot of posts recently from college grads or students moving to Harrisburg...great news for the city!

Old 05-14-2009, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 50,241 times
thank you for all of your help! I will look into these places if I decide to move there!
on the opposite note is there anywhere you would NOT live, esp as far as the more downtown/midtown areas?

Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle 721 View Post
thank you for all of your help! I will look into these places if I decide to move there!
on the opposite note is there anywhere you would NOT live, esp as far as the more downtown/midtown areas?
In midtown, I wouldn't recommend living along 6th street or above Kelker/east of 3rd. That area really just hasn't gentrified enough yet.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM

7,932 posts, read 14,676,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkle 721 View Post
I would say to avoid pretty much anywhere outside of Midtown in the city of Harrisburg. I'm sure there are some other decent parts, but my impressions of Harrisburg has been that downtown is nice, and the rest is basically ghetto. If you have kids or plan on having kids and don't want to have to pay for private school, I would recommend the suburbs. Harrisburg schools are among the worst in the state.

I know its a 20 mile drive from Harrisburg, but I always liked Carlisle. Its not bland suburbia, has a pretty nice downtown of its own...you don't really have to drive to Harrisburg for everything. Nice historic town...home to a college and a law school.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I would say to avoid pretty much anywhere outside of Midtown in the city of Harrisburg. I'm sure there are some other decent parts, but my impressions of Harrisburg has been that downtown is nice, and the rest is basically ghetto. If you have kids or plan on having kids and don't want to have to pay for private school, I would recommend the suburbs. Harrisburg schools are among the worst in the state.

I know its a 20 mile drive from Harrisburg, but I always liked Carlisle. Its not bland suburbia, has a pretty nice downtown of its own...you don't really have to drive to Harrisburg for everything. Nice historic town...home to a college and a law school.
Carlisle is a cool little place but has a lot of conservative old townies and college students. Midtown is definetely where it's at for someone fresh out of college (especially if you are working in HBG, why commute on 81 yuck).

And there are actually lots of neighborhoods in Harrisburg that are fine such as Riverside, Shipoke and Bellevue Park. That being said there are also areas of the city with lots of crime, but we are not talking North Philly here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area