U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 14,996 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could provide me any information about the corporate limits of Harrisburg. I am thinking of taking a job with the city, however to do so I'd have to move my family into the corporate city limits, per Harrisburg's residency requirement. Any information would be appreciated, nice neighborhoods, real estate agents ect.

From: http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/administration/humanResources/careers/faq.html (broken link)
What are the corporate limits of the City of Harrisburg?
While the City limits do not run uniformly along particular streets, generally, the City’s boundaries are Vaughn Street to the North, Cameron Parkway to the South, 29th Street to the East and Front Street to the West. To find out if a certain property is located within the corporate limits of the City, please contact the Bureau of Human Resources or preview the City Map.

http://www.harrisburgpa.gov/econProfile/images/cityMap_720x492.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Bosco339; 04-08-2007 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Address
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 01:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,347,530 times
Look anywhere between Front and 3rd, the areas along the river are great. Also check out midtown, really anywhere from North street to Reilly Street along 2nd and 3rd streets. You could also look at the Shipoke neighborhood which is between I-83 and the Harrisburg Hospital.

There are several hundred new homes being built in midtown right now between 3rd and 6th street north of Reilly....it's quite an up-and-coming area but it's on the edges of some ghetto. On that map, it's the area to the left (north) of the Broad Street Market. I'm not sure it's quite family-friendly, yet....but it's destined to be a great neighborhood in a few years. Nice new homes mixed in with the historic ones, the river and parks only a few blocks away, and of course the Broad Street Market nextdoor.

Areas to stay away from, anywhere near the Uptown Shopping Center between 3rd and 7th. Again, that bad neighborhood stretches down to the edges of midtown, but that area nearest midtown is changing for the better. And the worst part of the city, Allison Hill. It'll be noticeable if you're downtown, it's that area to the east up on the hill. Sadly, some amazing homes in that neighborhood but for the most part it's total ghetto. There are some good pockets from what I understand, and the area closest to downtown is seeing some new homes being constructed and it's gentrifying a bit (you can't be that close to thousands of jobs in downtown and not have some demand).

Last edited by danwxman; 04-08-2007 at 01:53 PM..

Old 04-08-2007, 05:14 PM

3 posts, read 14,996 times
Thank you Danwxman, you have restored my excitement of pursuing this employment opportunity.

Old 04-08-2007, 05:32 PM

222 posts, read 1,338,055 times
Just make sure you're not in a flood zone. A lot of areas close to the river and all along cameron street flood. Basically what danWX describer is correct. the city doesnt have any type of limit buyt if you drive around there are always nice signs that tell you when youre entereing (but usually not leaving) if you look you will see blue signs with yellow lettering that basically highlight historical info. when you see some of those they are at the exit of the city. paxtang has one, steelton has one, susq twp doesnt, neither does penbrook. bellevue is a nice neighborhood, one of harrisburgs best, its around the mcdevitt john harris high schools. basically 21st to 25th around market. The city isnt too bad, there are a lot of taxes though, and they only keep going up. Just stay away from uptown and allison hill. those areas are pretty bad. allison hill is basically anything between cameron and 29th, and state and sycamore. Basically that's it, thats where almost all the killings take place. There was a standoff with police a few days ago with a murder suspect in midtown near the governers masion. midtown is generally safe, just watch yourself, there can be burglaries and lots of crime. it is possible that nothing happens the whole time you live there, but just watch out. a lot of firefighters, police and government workers also have the 'must live in the city' rule. there is a huge pocket of indonesians near 14th and derry, near wongs rest. One of them is my friend and recently bought a nice big 4 bed, 2 bath there for about 37K, that is kind of in the middle of the ghetto, but oh well, it is improving. The Capitol Heights around Maclay and 6th is very nice, I mean those places used to be run down crack homes, the city bulldozed a lot and rebuilt, and helped pay for a facelift of a lot of the other homes in the area. Many of the people are retired and on a limited income and cant afford home repairs and their properties show. a lot of other people just dont care about anything at all and litter and let their house decay. many many of the homes in the city are absentee landlords who dont take care of anything at all, dont clean, dont pay taxes, dont shovel show, until the city sues them, then they do just enough to get by. The school district is also very bad, the high school has 3 full time police officers, about a dozen truancy officers and metal detectors at every door, trhe graduation rate is like 20%. There are several private schools like marshall and holy family, all kinds of new charter schools that are actually doing good. If you are careful and watch your kids you wont have any problems, but if you let them go around by themselves its not a good idea.

if you look you can usually find detached or semi-detached homes that are in good condition where you wont be bothered by anyone. some of the nicest and some of the worst people live in the city. I've never really had any problems there, but a lot of otehr people have. It is bad, but it is getting better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area