U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 10,829 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on relocating to harrisburg for a new job in the next month or so... I'm 25 and will be working on the west shore. I'm looking for a good idea of where to live and what to expect. Is it reasonable to assume I could live in midtown/downtown where there's more of a "city life" atmosphere while still being able to commute across the river without too much traffic/driving issues?

Also, how is parking in this area? Again, I'd love to live more in a more urban area (as long as it's safe!) but only if there were not too many difficulties with having a car as well. I've lived in NY, northern NJ and Denver and I've only visited Harrisburg one time (for an interview) so I'm still not quite sure what to expect. Any chance there's good health food/organic markets etc around?

Any info will help! Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:23 PM

149 posts, read 604,302 times
You should definitely live downtown. I would recommend anything south of Maclay and west of 3rd and north of Interstate 83 (close to the river is more attractive and closer to the riverfront park). That encompasses three neighborhoods which are mostly renovated, historic townhouses. A lot have been converted to trade associations and offices since the state offices are so close.

Shipoke (the small neighborhood next to I-83 is one of the more affluent neighborhoods in the city). The entire area has completely transformed in the last ten years. As long as you don't need to use the public schools it is a really nice place to live.

There is a small, historic school in the perfect location with PARKING currently being converted into apartments called Loftsat909.com. I have never been inside so I can't comment on the quality of the renovations.

You waill want to rent a parking spot! Downtown is THE place to go out on the weekends and you will not want to deal with looking for parking. If you are from Northern NJ then I am sure you have been to Hoboken. I would say they are very comparable in safety and parking inconvenience. The best bars, clubs, and lounges are in this area. You'll want to probably cross the river to shop for groceries at the Giant in Camp Hill or Karn's in Lemoyne but getting around this area is a breeze, each are about 3 miles from downtown.

If you get on the road by 7:45 for work you will not have any traffic. 15 minutes will make a big difference. I work in Mechanicsburg and my commute ranges from 5 minutes to 15 minutes to travel about 4 miles.

There is "Healthy Grocer" at 3800 Trindle Road in Camp Hill, it is small but serves its purpose and about 4 miles from downtown Harrisburg. There is also a Wegman's in Mechanicsburg, bigger than a Walmart, but it is about 10 or 12 miles from downtown on a busy highway. There are some intersesting small grocers around the area with very regional Dutchy foods and the West Shore Farmers' Market in Lemoyne (about 3 miles from downtown Harrisburg). As you get more comfortable with the area there is an incredible farmers' market in Londonderry Township (about 12 miles south of Harrisburg) called Saturday's Market with Mennonite families selling unusual meats, fresh produce and some prepared foods.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,383,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
You should definitely live downtown. I would recommend anything south of Maclay and west of 3rd and north of Interstate 83 (close to the river is more attractive and closer to the riverfront park). That encompasses three neighborhoods which are mostly renovated, historic townhouses. A lot have been converted to trade associations and offices since the state offices are so close.

Shipoke (the small neighborhood next to I-83 is one of the more affluent neighborhoods in the city). The entire area has completely transformed in the last ten years. As long as you don't need to use the public schools it is a really nice place to live.

There is a small, historic school in the perfect location with PARKING currently being converted into apartments called Loftsat909.com. I have never been inside so I can't comment on the quality of the renovations.

You waill want to rent a parking spot! Downtown is THE place to go out on the weekends and you will not want to deal with looking for parking. If you are from Northern NJ then I am sure you have been to Hoboken. I would say they are very comparable in safety and parking inconvenience. The best bars, clubs, and lounges are in this area. You'll want to probably cross the river to shop for groceries at the Giant in Camp Hill or Karn's in Lemoyne but getting around this area is a breeze, each are about 3 miles from downtown.

If you get on the road by 7:45 for work you will not have any traffic. 15 minutes will make a big difference. I work in Mechanicsburg and my commute ranges from 5 minutes to 15 minutes to travel about 4 miles.

There is "Healthy Grocer" at 3800 Trindle Road in Camp Hill, it is small but serves its purpose and about 4 miles from downtown Harrisburg. There is also a Wegman's in Mechanicsburg, bigger than a Walmart, but it is about 10 or 12 miles from downtown on a busy highway. There are some intersesting small grocers around the area with very regional Dutchy foods and the West Shore Farmers' Market in Lemoyne (about 3 miles from downtown Harrisburg). As you get more comfortable with the area there is an incredible farmers' market in Londonderry Township (about 12 miles south of Harrisburg) called Saturday's Market with Mennonite families selling unusual meats, fresh produce and some prepared foods.
Good post!

I live in midtown and don't rent a parking space, and usually have no problem finding a spot on my block and usually very close to my house. Some of the streets are permit only, but the permits are usually really cheap for city residents ($30/year). In terms of getting downtown, I just walk or bike it!

Healthy Grocer and the Camp Hill Super Giant are both minutes from the city and carry a very good selection of organics. However, they surely don't compare to Wegmans on the Carlisle Pike which is about 15 or so minutes from the city depending on traffic.

Also can't forget the Broad Street Market in midtown which is open Wednesday through Saturday and has a very diverse array of vendors from Amish to Middle Eastern.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 AM

4,270 posts, read 10,828,157 times
What do you guys think of, say, living in the river part of Wormleysburg (maybe easier parking) - could always stumble across the well-lit Harvey Taylor bridge late on a Saturday night with lower risk of late-night predators?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:15 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,383,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
What do you guys think of, say, living in the river part of Wormleysburg (maybe easier parking) - could always stumble across the well-lit Harvey Taylor bridge late on a Saturday night with lower risk of late-night predators?
Eeek. I don't think I'd want to cross that bridge at 2am. Wormleysburg is certainly an option, however. But it's still mostly a family oriented/senior citizen town. Midtown/downtown is younger and more hip, if that is what the OP is looking for.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,829 times
Thanks! I saw another post about Pennsylvania Place apts and am looking into that. I will look into the lofts as well! I don't mind the suburbia/family orientated area but think it would be much more fun (and better to meet new people) living in the city itself. I'm currently in NY and its been difficult trying to figure out my plans with not actually being in the city so this has been very helpful!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:35 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,828,157 times
Holding your girlfriend out the window there is a bad idea. State gaming board worker charged in woman's fatal fall

Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM

160 posts, read 599,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Holding your girlfriend out the window there is a bad idea. State gaming board worker charged in woman's fatal fall
I'll take Darwin Award for $500

And he was a nepotism hire at the gaming board.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 PM

259 posts, read 697,848 times
I worked at the Healthy Grocer about 5 years ago and the owner was a high-up in Rite Aid for years and years. He runs his health food store in a very corporate way and believe it or not, was VERY inappropriate to me (physically) a few times while i was alone in the office. I suggest you shop there only when you can't find what you're looking for elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area