Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 01:40 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,591 times

Advertisements

Bounded by Front street to the west, Forster street to the south, 3rd street to the east and Verbeke street to the north, part of the greater Midtown neighborhood is the Midtown historic district in the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. This neighborhood was mostly abandoned and emptied out in the 60's and 70's due to white flight but was extensively rehabbed and gentrified back in the 80's and 90's as the Downtown area, directly to the south, began to revitalize. The neighborhood is almost entirely white (one of the few majority white areas of Harrisburg) and full of young professionals, DINKs and retirees. I took pictures of the area between 2nd and 3rd street from Forster to Verbeke.

We'll start out along Penn street

Along Cumberland street at Penn

The house on the left is the Mayor Reed's residence. Controversy surrounds this because the popular belief is that the Mayor actually lives with his gay lover in suburban Camp Hill. Rarely is the Mayor seen at or near his house.

Back on Penn street

Looking down Penn street towards Downtown

Houses along Herr street at Penn

Penn street just above Forster

Along Forster street

Forster street is a major thoroughfare between the Capitol Complex and the west shore. Here you can see all the state workers driving back to their suburban homes in Camp Hill and Mechanicsburg.

Union street looking towards 3rd

Susquehanna street just above Forster looking towards Downtown

Susquehanna street is more of an alley with most garages and run-down houses.

Along Boas street at Susquehanna

Abandoned charter school...not sure what is was before that.

The new Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center's "Stage On Herr" at Herr and Susquehanna streets...a bar, art gallery and live music venue all in one. Just opened this summer and a popular gathering place.

Beautiful apartment building at 3rd and Herr

3rd street, the main business corridor. These two businesses are actually closed. Sorry for the sun glare.

Looking down 3rd street towards Downtown

The front of the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center complex. In addition to the Stage On Herr, it will also house a film studio, restaurant, spa and a much larger stage for major performances and live music.

More along 3rd street

Looking down 3rd street towards Downtown

Along Herr street

Some grit behind 3rd street

The intersection of Susqehanna, Cumberland and Sassafrass

Looking down Sasafrass street

Along Cumberland street

Susquehanna street

Looking down Susquehanna street towards Cumberland street

The back of the gorgeous, yet abandoned, Furlow building which faces 3rd street. Numerous plans have come up from apartments to a boutique hotel but nothing has ever come to fruition.

Shady pocket behind the Furlow building

Looks bad, but sort of an homage to when Midtown was really a ghetto....this spot has just never been cleaned up because the building is in limbo.

Front of the Furlow building. Rumor it's only $200,000

On Green street through the center of the neighborhood.

Cool looking buildings on Charles street

I think it would be cool to live here.

What yard?

Old farm house when this area was farms back in the early 19th century

Looking down Green street towards Downtown

Looking up Green street deeper into Midtown

Another shot of that farm house

Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 03:27 PM

160 posts, read 638,793 times
Thanks for posting all the photos!

It's great that people are rehabing the old homes and someone is buying them.

Still, I am not sorry that I chose a suburban condo. I like one floor living (second floor), geothermal heat and a/c, and having a bright interior. The room I will be using for my studio (the second bedroom) has two windows with north light. I wanted a home to live and work in, not just a place to decorate, entertain and sleep in. Midtown looks like a neat place to come home to if you work elsewhere and eat out in town a lot.

Since you are the goto person about H-burg, can you tell us why the Art Center has a bar and a spa I found some Harrisburg 'art scene' blogs online, and noticed that even older middle aged folks here write about drinking adult beverages...in quantities that suggest a great investment in the area would be luxury treatment centers H-burg really should look into becoming a sister city with a counterpart in Australia.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
Thanks for posting all the photos!

It's great that people are rehabing the old homes and someone is buying them.

Still, I am not sorry that I chose a suburban condo. I like one floor living (second floor), geothermal heat and a/c, and having a bright interior. The room I will be using for my studio (the second bedroom) has two windows with north light. I wanted a home to live and work in, not just a place to decorate, entertain and sleep in. Midtown looks like a neat place to come home to if you work elsewhere and eat out in town a lot.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. Susquehanna township is nice and all but not walkable at all. I'm a younger guy, so that's something I am looking for. I also prefer the charm of older rowhouses. If I was raising a family I'd be looking at the suburbs, no doubt (unless I could afford private schools).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
Since you are the goto person about H-burg, can you tell us why the Art Center has a bar and a spa I found some Harrisburg 'art scene' blogs online, and noticed that even older middle aged folks here write about drinking adult beverages...in quantities that suggest a great investment in the area would be luxury treatment centers H-burg really should look into becoming a sister city with a counterpart in Australia.
I think it's great they have a bar. It really brings people in and gives them something to do at night while still looking at and potentially buying the art. I think that's what they are going for. Plus they have a live music venue, another reason to have a bar. I've talked to the owners a few times...they are originally from England and lived in New York City for several years, they really believe in the city and what they are doing.

Thanks for the comments! I will try to do more photo threads before the end of the summer. I'm hoping to do Engleton and Old Uptown soon.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:56 PM

160 posts, read 638,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I think it's great they have a bar. It really brings people in and gives them something to do at night while still looking at and potentially buying the art. I think that's what they are going for. Plus they have a live music venue, another reason to have a bar. I've talked to the owners a few times...they are originally from England and lived in New York City for several years, they really believe in the city and what they are doing.

Thanks for the comments! I will try to do more photo threads before the end of the summer. I'm hoping to do Engleton and Old Uptown soon.
If they are from England, that makes sense. WASPy environment means much social lubricant required I guess this is the urban equivalent of the antiques dealers I used to watch sipping from their flasks at estate auctions (the wives had to drive the trucks home, lucky them).

Please do bring on the photos! I read everything I could find about Harrisburg's neighborhoods when I thought I might move to town, and it was fascinating stuff. Does H-burg have historical/architectural walking tours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area