U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 01:34 PM

35 posts, read 77,548 times

Advertisements

I am considering taking a position in harrisburg, pa and I want to know the pros and cons of the city/area. I will be moving from louisville, ky which has pop. of about 1.4 million, and is about 22% african-american. I am african-american so I am wondering about the cultural diversity in the area. They're still burning crosses in parts of KY so this is a concern of mine. Also can you tell me about the nightlife, real estate (under 200K), job market (I am in social services and my b/f is in the culinary field). This particular position is a family therapist pays around 40K, is this average for this field? Crime rate? Better areas to live? We are in our mid30s and have no children. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also, the move will be sometime near end of year...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 08:41 PM

24,661 posts, read 36,288,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou_slugger View Post
I am considering taking a position in harrisburg, pa and I want to know the pros and cons of the city/area. I will be moving from louisville, ky which has pop. of about 1.4 million, and is about 22% african-american. I am african-american so I am wondering about the cultural diversity in the area. They're still burning crosses in parts of KY so this is a concern of mine. Also can you tell me about the nightlife, real estate (under 200K), job market (I am in social services and my b/f is in the culinary field). This particular position is a family therapist pays around 40K, is this average for this field? Crime rate? Better areas to live? We are in our mid30s and have no children. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also, the move will be sometime near end of year...
I grew up in the area and think it's a great place to live. That said, I think it is a relatively sedate place. Don't know much about nightlife, but the restaurant scene is quickly improving. The African American population in Hbg. city and some of the burbs is pretty substantial, and cultural diversity is increasing steadily. Crime rate in the city is pretty bad, but in the burbs it is moderate to nearly nonexistent. There are some parts of the area where you can get a home for under 200k, including in the cities of Hbg. and York, but the more desirable areas (Camp Hill, Mechanicsburg, Hershey) will set you back more than that. Lots of racists around, but you don't have to worry about cross burnings.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:41 AM

10,105 posts, read 15,280,963 times
nightlife in the city of harrisburg is pretty good for a city its size owing in part to its status as the state capitol. there's also a train that runs pretty often (14 times a day?)to Philadelphia and NY should you need to visit a larger city from time to time. the city of Harrisburg is like any other, with neighborhoods of varying crime rates. midtown seems to be on the rise, we looked at brand new homes there for around $200k. I'd imagine you'll encounter less racism in the city.
did you see this thread?
//www.city-data.com/forum/penns...arrisburg.html

Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 AM

956 posts, read 3,832,452 times
Use the 'search this forum' function at the top of the page where you posted your question. Just type in Harrisburg and an amazing number of threads will come up.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 PM

36 posts, read 101,334 times
Lou-Slugger, I would NOT recommend Harrisburg for a professional black man in his 30's. Harrisburg is extremely segregated. There really are no upscale black areas or even upscale racially integrated areas. The vast majority of Harrisburg City is extremely depressed. Crime is horrendous. It's also extremely ghetto -- lot of boarded up houses, dirty, kids roaming with no parents, etc. If you move to Harrisburg, I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice enough area -- outside of the city. If you live in the city, you'll be pretty much confined to Midtown or Shipoke. Both are nice enough areas. They just don't offer much and have very few professional black people living in them. Further, good chunks of south central PA are extremely racist and closed-minded. If you must move to the Harrisburg region, I would recommend either Hershey and/or Linglestown. Both are much more upscale and tend to be more diverse.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,344,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayguyfromdenver View Post
Lou-Slugger, I would NOT recommend Harrisburg for a professional black man in his 30's. Harrisburg is extremely segregated. There really are no upscale black areas or even upscale racially integrated areas. The vast majority of Harrisburg City is extremely depressed. Crime is horrendous. It's also extremely ghetto -- lot of boarded up houses, dirty, kids roaming with no parents, etc. If you move to Harrisburg, I'm sure you'll be able to find a nice enough area -- outside of the city. If you live in the city, you'll be pretty much confined to Midtown or Shipoke. Both are nice enough areas. They just don't offer much and have very few professional black people living in them. Further, good chunks of south central PA are extremely racist and closed-minded. If you must move to the Harrisburg region, I would recommend either Hershey and/or Linglestown. Both are much more upscale and tend to be more diverse.
That's too bad.. I love living in the city of Harrisburg. Midtown has improved just in the year I've been here, especially with the opening of several new art galleries, coffee shops and the Stage On Herr.

In addition in Midtown, Downtown and Shipoke you have the Riverside neighborhood of Uptown and Bellevue Park which are nice areas to live. Parts of the south side are decent too.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 18,772 times
Harrisburg is dead last in the state for schools so if you have or plan to have children forget Harrisburg. I'm also going to give it to straight coming from a white man that was born in NY city. Did you ever hear that song "smiling faces" that is the epitome of what the racial divide is like here. They call the West Shore the White Shore. I think it has gotten a bit better though but not much and youre ok as long as you don't cross the border. There is still plenty of white trash around here maybe not as bad as the south but still you'll run into it. I also have to say that being from the south YOU CAN FORGET THAT SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. There is no hospitality here..

Old 09-02-2009, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 8,880 times
Hello, Lou_Slugger--
Just found out about your inquiry--your needs may now be history--answering just the same.

One of the really confusing things about central Pa is the word "Harrisburg"--it means and covers so many diverse things. There is the municipality of the city of Harrisburg and there is the mailing address of Harrisburg, which often have very little to do with each other. This makes advice on
"Harrisburg" very confusing/lethally misleading. If you're still around and wanting to discuss specifics, feel free to get in touch.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:10 AM

75 posts, read 205,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralpasucks View Post
I also have to say that being from the south YOU CAN FORGET THAT SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY. There is no hospitality here..
Interesting... Hburg are is like that too huh? Must be a PA thing then? It's one of the things is dislike most about my homecounty, Berks. People are generally unfriendly and definitely unwelcoming to anything or anyone new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area