Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 9,841 times

Advertisements

I am 25/w/f w/ a bachelor's degree and I currently work for the government in social work. I have been thinking about moving to Harrisburg for quite some time. In my search I have found the part of Harrisburg that I would like to move to. Does anyone know anything about Midtown?
Most importantly, does anyone know what the zip code is (for job search purpose)

Any info. on the nightlife/single life....=)????
I have lived my entire life in a relatively small town in Ohio (pop 15,000 or so). I need something new.
Respones appreciated. Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:51 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meghanohio View Post
I am 25/w/f w/ a bachelor's degree and I currently work for the government in social work. I have been thinking about moving to Harrisburg for quite some time. In my search I have found the part of Harrisburg that I would like to move to. Does anyone know anything about Midtown?
Most importantly, does anyone know what the zip code is (for job search purpose)

Any info. on the nightlife/single life....=)????
I have lived my entire life in a relatively small town in Ohio (pop 15,000 or so). I need something new.
Respones appreciated. Thank You
Midtown is such a wonderful neighborhood. Nightlife is mostly in downtown, which is only a short walk. You're close to the river, great restaurants, parks, an independent cinema and the Broad Street Market. Jobs in social work and the government are plentiful here. Midtown is currently seeing hundreds of new townhouses, they are on the edge of kind of a sketchy area, but one that is sure to improve in the coming years. Other then that there's plenty of older homes and nice rentals.

Here's a few downtown and midtown zipcodes:
17101 (downtown)
17102 (midtown)
17104 (southern portion of downtown, Shipoke neighborhood -- be careful other then the two previously mentioned areas this zipcode is dangerous)

Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 AM

75 posts, read 94,199 times
If you are from a small town and want something new why are you thinking about another smallish town? Harrisburg is a cute city, but I would have my doubts about a lively nightlife in a city with a population under 50k.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:12 AM

33 posts, read 239,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
If you are from a small town and want something new why are you thinking about another smallish town? Harrisburg is a cute city, but I would have my doubts about a lively nightlife in a city with a population under 50k.
Note of Harrisburg Population: The City of Harrisburg has pop of 54,000 & the Greater Harrisburg Area has a population pushing towards 750,000. There is PLENTY of nightlife and social activities.

Harrisburg's Downtown night life & entertainment: (These are the most popular, theres many others within 10mins of Harrisburg City.)

Second Street - The downtown nightlife/entertaiment area is called Second Street simply because thats where the everything is at (if its not on 2nd street, its within a block). The majority of downtown clubs, bars, and restaurants are within a few blocks of each other. There is a free parking garage on the weekends and evenings for convenience. You can easily walk from club to club in just a few minutes; its a great place to go bar hopping, but be careful some places charge admission 2nd Street is always jumping on Thurs - Sat nights. The sidewalks are usually full of people, its well lit, clean, plenty of police, and fairly safe place to go. There are shops and cafes, but most of these close in the evening.

Dragonfly Club: This is a Thurs-Sat night 100% dance club, u need to pay admission to get in, sometimes they have techno dance nights and underage nights.
Harrisburg Hardware Bar: Open wed-sat, next door to Dragonfly, u need to pay admission to get in. Great place - this is like 3 clubs in one, each floor is something different. 1st floor is the Hardware bar; girls dancing on the counters, skimpily dressed waitresses, bands play fri-sat nites. 2nd floor is the lounge, theres no band so its much quieter than the first floor . Its usually packed full with people drinking and smoking (yes you can still smoke indoors in PA ). 3rd floor is the dance club, almost always packed shoulder-to-shoulder with people and very energetic!
Gingerbread Man (G-man): about a block away on Market street. There are 2 bars in one. One side has live band on fridays, dance/club music on saturdays. The other side is a lounge. It usually gets packed with people here on the weekends.

Bars: There are so many I cant even start to name them!! Heres a few very popular ones. HarrisburgHappyHour.com (http://harrisburghappyhour.com/citylimits.htm - broken link)

Last edited by oldhead; 04-25-2007 at 09:29 AM..

Old 04-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaily View Post
Don't be fooled by Harrisburg's population, that's because the city limits are very small. The immediate area surrounding Harrisburg has nearly a half million people.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Technically you're both wrong. The metro population lies between 500,000 and 750,000. I just love to be an "itch" sometimes to get on people's nerves! LOL!

Old 04-25-2007, 11:54 AM

33 posts, read 239,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhead View Post
the Greater Harrisburg Area has a population pushing towards 750,000.
We are just short of 750,000

Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM

Major development project announced for midtown Harrisburg
Posted by The Patriot-News April 25, 2007 14:21PM
Categories: Breaking News, Business, Dauphin County, Local government, Midstate, Patriot-News, Politics

A "master plan" to revitalize a 12-acre area of midtown Harrisburg along Reily Street between North Second and North Sixth streets was unveiled today.

The effort builds on the already planned $17 million renovation of the former Evangelical Press Building at North Third and Reily streets, which will be the new home of the Harrisburg Area Community College Midtown Campus.

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen R. Reed said the combination of rehabilitation, new construction and landscaping will transform the mostly vacant area into "a hub for investment and activity" that is expected to spur revitalization throughout the Third Street Corridor.

Reed noted that the plan also calls for the development of an urban green space, or "Urban Meadow," that stretches from the east side entrance of the new HACC classroom space in the former Evangelical Press Building to the college's existing Community Center for Technology and Arts at North Fourth and Harris streets, a facility also slated for a major upgrade.

The greenway will be landscaped with plantings, benches and other amenities that will provide students with public open space that also serves as a college commons, he said.

In making the announcement, Reed was joined by John Tierney, chief operating officer of Powers Associates, which is handling the rehab of the Evangelical Press Building.

"While the city is a partner in the effort and has provided substantial tracts of land and infrastructure support, most of the costs for the buildings being built or planned are from private dollars," Reed said. "It's a marked change from many other city development activities over the past twenty-five years, and tangible proof that public investment can attract significant amounts of private capital investment."

-------------------

Just a little bit of history, the building "Evangelical Press Building" is an old warehouse at the corner of 3rd and Reilly that is currently under renovation to hold classes for a new campus of Harrisburg Area Community College. Across 3rd street to the east is where this new "commons" area will be, currently it is an abandoned/vacant lot. Across Reilly street to the south there is currently a vacant gas station that will make way for a 4-story office complex with street retail. Just one block down from this hub of new development is the Midtown Cinema and a new coffeehouse/cafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area