U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 03:35 PM

37 posts, read 154,853 times

Advertisements

Hi...27/W/F moving with my Cousin who is 37/W/F...I'm attempting to do some research on areas to move. Harrisburg caught my eye because it's still close enough for me to visit family and friends in NJ occaisionally but out of the way enough that it seems to avoid the gridlock of the tri-state area. Location is flexible as long as it has a few things I'm looking for:

Nightlife - something for the 30 and up crowd? Not so much looking for the "just turned 21 - lets get smashed" scene.

Decent job market - I'm an Administrative Assistant so I can pretty much work anywhere but is it difficult to get a job in Harrisburg?

Housing Market - most likely looking to rent at first. Depending on work salary I think I'll be able to swing around 1100 for a 2 bedroom...max. Does that sound doable? Any great neighborhoods I should check out? Any slums I should avoid?

I'm from the Jersey shore area so I want something close to some body of water and something a little diverse...

Thanks for any responses!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,258,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmaranclh View Post
Hi...27/W/F moving with my Cousin who is 37/W/F...I'm attempting to do some research on areas to move. Harrisburg caught my eye because it's still close enough for me to visit family and friends in NJ occaisionally but out of the way enough that it seems to avoid the gridlock of the tri-state area. Location is flexible as long as it has a few things I'm looking for:

Nightlife - something for the 30 and up crowd? Not so much looking for the "just turned 21 - lets get smashed" scene.

Decent job market - I'm an Administrative Assistant so I can pretty much work anywhere but is it difficult to get a job in Harrisburg?

Housing Market - most likely looking to rent at first. Depending on work salary I think I'll be able to swing around 1100 for a 2 bedroom...max. Does that sound doable? Any great neighborhoods I should check out? Any slums I should avoid?

I'm from the Jersey shore area so I want something close to some body of water and something a little diverse...

Thanks for any responses!!
Harrisburg sounds like it's perfect for you. You should have no problem finding a rental in a decent neighborhood for that price. Stay near midtown or downtown and away from 6-7th streets in midtown. Stay away from Allison Hill altogether, though Bellevue Park is an okay area.

Midtown and downtown have great nightlife, mostly for the younger crowd but there are some decent places for a slightly older crowd mostly in midtown and a few of the upscale martini/lounge type places downtown.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:29 AM

37 posts, read 154,853 times
Thanks so much for the response. That definitely helps me get a better idea of where to look.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 AM

33 posts, read 224,154 times
Hi Kimmaranclh, check out this link for http://www.pennlive.com/jobs/, its basically the Central PA newspaper classified jobs ads in an online format. Its very easy to search for jobs, just type in "Administrative Assistant" and see what i mean! Perhaps this will give you an idea of the job market here.

As far as renting an apartment for $1100, you should have no problem finding something NICE. You may also want to consider living in the surrounding area (colonial park, progress, swatara, camp hill, new cumberland, enola) and commuting to Harrisburg. There are 3 Major highways that run right thru Harrisburg, so getting around is a snap. There is no traffic congestion except at rush-hour, then the highway traffic sometime slows a little. I rented a vy. nice 1400 sq ft 2br condo at $980/mo in colonial park, that was a few years ago tho, priced have most-likely went up ! Colonial Park is less than 10 minutes from Downtown Harrisburg.

As far as nightlife, I described some in this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/penns...arrisburg.html I would say that the second street club nightlife is aimed primarily at people under 30, but there is plenty of upscale bars and restaurants in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or