U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:32 PM

5 posts, read 41,020 times

Advertisements

Hi,

First of all, thanks to everyone who's answered questions about Harrisburg so far on other threads.

I live in Los Angeles, but might be signing a four year contract for a Creative job located in Camp Hill.

I've lived in small cities before (and even small towns) but I've been in L.A. for years now.

I'm wondering, if the job is in Camp Hill, how much of a commute is it from Harrisburg (and what is the traffic like?)

Whether it would be better to live in Camp Hill or mid-town/downtown Harrisburg. From the other threads I've read I'm beginning to get a good idea of Harrisburg. What about Camp Hill?

Here are the parameters: I hate commuting (I've worked mostly from home in the past). But I'm pretty much a city boy and love having all sorts of stimulus around me. (Hence thinking about downtown.)

If the interview goes well and the salary comes through, I should be able to get something nice from the prices I've checked online. Does Harrisburg have residential loft for sell or rent? I've always wanted something like that and this might be the perfect chance to go for it.

Thanks!

Christopher
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,357,741 times
Camp Hill is literally within a few minutes of downtown and midtown Harrisburg. Between the two is the Susquehanna River, which divides the east and west shores...Harrisburg is on the east and Camp Hill on the west. Two bridges cross over from Harrisburg, one from the southern end of midtown that goes directly into the borough of Camp Hill with one exit in Wormleysburg (right along the river)....and the other which is the Market Street bridge which comes right out of downtown and through the borough of Lemoyne then into Camp Hill.

Traffic is kind of a nightmare during rush hour on both bridges and throughout the Camp Hill area. Ironically, the traffic is much worse on the west shore then it is in the city. I still think you could easily live in midtown or downtown Harrisburg and work in Camp Hill. If you time your commute right you could have a 3-5 minute commute...if you hit it at the wrong time it still won't ever be more then maybe 10 minutes (might have to sit at a couple traffic lights).

If you do choose to live in Camp Hill, it's not the end of the world either -- Camp Hill is one of those "hip" inner suburbs that's kind of liberal and well-off (though it does vote Republican, it's the kind of liberal on social issues but still don't like taxes Republican). A Lebanese restaurant with a hookah bar just opened up, and there's a locally-owned coffeehouse both on Market Street. The borough is also quite walkable, has a nice park near the center of town, and is full of big, shady trees.

Harrisburg is just now kind of getting into the "loft" scene, a loft project was recently announced for a vacant warehouse on Market street (the same street the runs all the way into Camp Hill) just outside of the CBD but they are selling for over $200,000...not sure if that is within your price range or not. But other then that there's plenty of apartments and even some nice homes for sale in midtown. Downtown is pretty much all apartment living or rentals. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:17 PM

Hi Danwxman,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Okay, I just have to check this, because if I'm not mistaken, you're saying the ten minutes over the river is a traffic "nightmare"? Dude, out here in L.A. when we hit rush hour, you can count and an hour to an hour and a half of your life goodbye. Is that what you meant?

Also, if the job comes through, I've decided I'm not going to worry about buying right away. I'll give myself some time to get to know the area, look around, and rent for the first six months at least. But you should know that out here the lowest you're going to pay for a home is $400,000. So Harrisburg looks like a bargain.

Now, if I wanted a nice 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood (downtown or Camp Hill) what would that run me? I'm imagining I could get something good for between $1100 and $1500. Is that right?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherK View Post
Hi Danwxman,

Thanks so much for the reply.

Okay, I just have to check this, because if I'm not mistaken, you're saying the ten minutes over the river is a traffic "nightmare"? Dude, out here in L.A. when we hit rush hour, you can count and an hour to an hour and a half of your life goodbye. Is that what you meant?

Also, if the job comes through, I've decided I'm not going to worry about buying right away. I'll give myself some time to get to know the area, look around, and rent for the first six months at least. But you should know that out here the lowest you're going to pay for a home is $400,000. So Harrisburg looks like a bargain.

Now, if I wanted a nice 2 bedroom in a nice neighborhood (downtown or Camp Hill) what would that run me? I'm imagining I could get something good for between $1100 and $1500. Is that right?
Hah, I guess I should have realized I was replying to someone from L.A...

It's certainly no traffic nightmare, my only point was that it's really small distance (a few miles) but it can take a lot longer then it should if there's traffic. But yea, you'll be used to much worse so I'm sure it'll be nothing.

Oh and those prices? You'll have no trouble finding a great apartment in Harrisburg or Camp Hill. Camp Hill is mostly a single-family home, buyer type market though. If you're looking at apartments, Wormleysburg, Lemoyne, and New Cumberland are nearby boroughs that are much more rental oriented...but then again they don't have the amenities and diversity of living in a city...so I'd recommend Harrisburg but not totally rule out those communities.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 PM

Here's a few places I just found by scanning Craigslist...
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/318704377.html (broken link)
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/315984036.html (broken link)
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/315101493.html (broken link)
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/309034055.html (broken link)
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/301943612.html (broken link)

Old 04-25-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Hey, Thanks!

As for the commute, although I live in L.A. I walk and ride my bike as often as possible instead of driving. (I currently live in Santa Monica, an ocean side town, so it's very pleasant.)

I'll continue riding my bike to work on good days. It sounds like the commute is short enough. (Keep in mind, years ago I rode 6.5 miles each way to work and back -- so the ride sounds like it will be fine.)

And thanks for the heads-up on the residential over rental in Camp Hill. That'll let me focus on Harrisburg for grabbing a place (if and when) I move out east.

Oh, and thanks so much for the links! Those prices are -- well, lower than L.A.!

Now, are the neighborhoods from the Craig's List near the downtown/nightlife area I was reading about on the other threads?

Thanks again!

Christopher

Old 04-26-2007, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 38,233 times
Hey Dan,
My husband WAS Offered the job that he interviewed for last week, so we definitely WILL be moving to Pa!! Thanks for ALL of your info! You were a real godsend! I just wanted to give you an update so you weren't left wondering what was up.
Our daughter is graduating from college in 2 weeks and now she is thinking she would like to go up there with us as well, so that I can help both her and our 5yr. old granddaughter after school .
We are wondering what the school system set up is like up there? Is it by a county basis or districts? Also, where do you suggest a new teacher (Elementary Ed.) begin to apply--as well as enter her little girl? We really need to get on this asap, if this stands a chance of working out, since this is HIRING time for teachers! Any info you have will, once again, be DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!
Thanks so much! Since we are moving from the Pensacola area of Fla. it is hard to do all of this without great Pennsylvania people like yourself to give us the "real deal"!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherK View Post
As for the commute, although I live in L.A. I walk and ride my bike as often as possible instead of driving. (I currently live in Santa Monica, an ocean side town, so it's very pleasant.)

I'll continue riding my bike to work on good days. It sounds like the commute is short enough. (Keep in mind, years ago I rode 6.5 miles each way to work and back -- so the ride sounds like it will be fine.)

And thanks for the heads-up on the residential over rental in Camp Hill. That'll let me focus on Harrisburg for grabbing a place (if and when) I move out east.

Oh, and thanks so much for the links! Those prices are -- well, lower than L.A.!

Now, are the neighborhoods from the Craig's List near the downtown/nightlife area I was reading about on the other threads?

Thanks again!

Christopher
You shouldn't totally rule out Camp Hill, my friend rents a 3 BR townhouse in the borough for $750, but if you want city life you're not really getting it there.

The first and the last properties I posted aren't as close to downtown. The first is in Olde Uptown which is just northern Midtown. It's going to be a pretty long walk from downtown, certainly bikeable but you might have to go through some shady areas if you're doing it at night. The last one is in an apartment building along Front Street. It's got fantastic views of the river and mountains but once again it is pretty far for a walk all the way downtown, though it is right along Riverfront Park. The other ones are all pretty close, definitely walkable.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamale6961 View Post
Hey Dan,
My husband WAS Offered the job that he interviewed for last week, so we definitely WILL be moving to Pa!! Thanks for ALL of your info! You were a real godsend! I just wanted to give you an update so you weren't left wondering what was up.
Our daughter is graduating from college in 2 weeks and now she is thinking she would like to go up there with us as well, so that I can help both her and our 5yr. old granddaughter after school .
We are wondering what the school system set up is like up there? Is it by a county basis or districts? Also, where do you suggest a new teacher (Elementary Ed.) begin to apply--as well as enter her little girl? We really need to get on this asap, if this stands a chance of working out, since this is HIRING time for teachers! Any info you have will, once again, be DEEPLY APPRECIATED!!
Thanks so much! Since we are moving from the Pensacola area of Fla. it is hard to do all of this without great Pennsylvania people like yourself to give us the "real deal"!
That's great! I'm sure you will love it here. We don't have county schools here, it's all districts which usually encompass a few townships/boroughs. I'm not an expert on schools but I'll try to help. In terms of public schools, you really can't go wrong around here with a couple exceptions. The schools in Harrisburg and Steelton/Highspire leave much to be desired and though they are turning around, I wouldn't recommend them. Central Dauphin and Lower Dauphin school districts are both serve the Hummelstown area and have solid schools. There is also Derry Township, Middletown and Susquehanna school districts. On the other side of the river which arguably has some better schools, there is Camp Hill School District, Mechanicsburg, and Cumberland Valley School District (probably the best one in this part of the state).

Old 04-26-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
You shouldn't totally rule out Camp Hill, my friend rents a 3 BR townhouse in the borough for $750, but if you want city life you're not really getting it there.
Wow.

Well, if I decide to live in Harrisburg, it'll be within a block or two of the "fun" part of town. Other than that, I'll shack up in Camp Hill.

Thanks for all the help!

Christopher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area