U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 10:16 PM

1,973 posts, read 4,875,148 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm from Wilkes-Barre. I am going down to Mechanicsburg (outside of Harrisburg) to visit my aunt over Thanksgiving Vacation (roughly a two hour drive from Wilkes-Barre). I was considering on taking my ten year old daughter to visit Gettysburg while I was down that way, because I think it would be of good historical value for her, plus I am curious to see it myself. So about how far is Gettysburg from the Harrisburg area, and also can anyone recommend some sights and things to do in Gettysburg (on the cheap). Do they do re-enactments often? ect. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You! Also, how is "Candyland"? My aunt said it is by or in Hershey Park and they have some sort of holiday themed events?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM

30,131 posts, read 29,811,150 times
I'm not sure if my search results will show, but Bing maps tells me that it is about a 31 mile drive.

Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible

Candylane? Hersheypark Christmas Candylane I haven't been but it looks good.

Remembrance Day Parade and Ceremonies at Gettysburg in on the 21st, don't think that there are special events Thanksgiving weekend. Take the bus tour to see the park, it's huge. It's narrated and you can ask questions. I think that would be more interesting than the self guided tour. The Hall of Presidents wax museum might be worth a stop.

Hall of Presidents and First Ladies - Gettysburg Tour Center

Old 11-20-2009, 10:29 AM

1,516 posts, read 6,313,177 times
I agree with Gerania as far as what to do at Gettysburg. The bus tour is very interesting and you get to stop and get out at the highlights. You can also hire a National Park Service guide to go with you in your car for a more personalized tour. Check in at the vistor's center for this.

Christmas Candylane at Hersheypark itself is very nice. You pay one price and many of the rides are open. Usually your admission includes some hot chocolate and a ticket to see Santa.

You could also check out the ride-through light display. It's $20 per car, which is a bit pricey, but it's very nice. Just be sure to use the restroom somewhere first!!

Hershey Sweet Lights

Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 PM

4,268 posts, read 10,652,755 times
A 10 year old girl visiting Gettysburg might like this: Welcome to Boyds Bear Country! - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

And this, if in season or meeting the events calendar: Land of Little Horses

Mechanicsburg postal address covers a wide territory - the south end of which is about half as close time-wise to Gettysburg as the north end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area