Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are staying at bed and breakfast in Strasburg this Friday night until Sunday early afternoon. So that means we have the full day Saturday and about 3 hours on Sunday to do stuff. I'm not sure whether we should do Lancaster all day on Saturday, Hershey on Sunday, or vice versa. I did the tourist stuff in these areas about 10 years ago as a teen, but I don't remember all that much. Any ideas which day we should do which town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Definitely Lancaster area on Saturday, many things there are closed Sunday. Hersheypark isn't operating this time of year but The Hershey Story : Hours & Information will be open 10 am and HERSHEY®'S CHOCOLATE WORLD® ATTRACTION - HOURS & EVENTS (http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/hoursFlash.shtml - broken link) will be open 11 am on Sunday. Much less of a pain to visit in January which is definitely off season. (It will take you at least 45 minutes to get there from Strasburg.)

Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 PM

Oh yeah, I forgot that a lot of places will be closed on Sunday in Lancaster. Good idea. The only thing that stinks is that Hershey is going out of the way when we'll be going back to Long Island on Sunday.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
From the attractions end of Hershey especially on an off season Sunday it won't be too bad to get to I-78. US 322 is a commuter route but using that to the PA Turnpike won't be bad on an off season Sunday either.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:34 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Depends on what you're into doing.

For a relaxing little diversion, the Strasburg railroad - Strasburg Rail Road - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - is fun. Though more so if you're a train buff.

If you want to shop, there's the Rockvale Outlets - Rockvale Outlets - Lancaster Pennsylvania (http://www.rockvalesquareoutlets.com/ - broken link) (Reading China and Glass is my favorite), or Kitchen Kettle Village - Welcome to Kitchen Kettle Village (I love the pickled beets from there!).

And there are plenty of places to eat - one of my favorite pasttimes, unfortunately! I like September Farm Cheese - Buy Handcrafted Farmstead Cheese Online & View Cheese Making In-Shop - September Farm Cheese - as a stop on the way back to get fresh cheeses, but we are cheese-a-holics, so not much there unless you are too!

Things close earlier than your used to here on LI, so plan on starting early on Saturday because there won't be much to do after dinner. Though I can be quite content to peruse my newly aquired bargains in the hotel while on a whoopie pie high.

A good place to start would be Maps, Directions, and Travel Planner - Plan Your Next Trip to Lancaster County Pennsylvania where you can view different activities and then set up a travel planner with all the address information for your stay. I use this quite often when I go down to visit.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:45 PM

The hotel is giving us a gift card to one of the three restaurants. Which one would you recommend?--Hershey Farms, Iron Horse Inn or Fireside Tavern?

Old 01-26-2010, 10:26 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
Sorry, can't give you an opinion there as I've not eaten at any of those. However, that said, I've yet to have a bad meal anywhere down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area