U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM

3 posts, read 7,975 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a recent college graduate moving to the Mechanicsburg area. I am seeking information on life in Mechanicsburg, safe areas to live, cost of living etc. Honestly, any information would be great.

My main concern is that I live somewhere with a sizable population of young adults (I am almost 24) so I am able to meet people and make friends; particularly because all of my new coworkers appear to be middle aged with families. I am also a devout Catholic looking for a strong, orthodox Catholic community. If you have any Catholic prejudices, please leave them out of this thread. Thanks for any information!

P.S. If you know of any areas near Mechanicsburg that I should focus my search, please fill me in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM

135 posts, read 337,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kib0001 View Post
Hello everyone, I am a recent college graduate moving to the Mechanicsburg area. I am seeking information on life in Mechanicsburg, safe areas to live, cost of living etc. Honestly, any information would be great.

My main concern is that I live somewhere with a sizable population of young adults (I am almost 24) so I am able to meet people and make friends; particularly because all of my new coworkers appear to be middle aged with families. I am also a devout Catholic looking for a strong, orthodox Catholic community. If you have any Catholic prejudices, please leave them out of this thread. Thanks for any information!

P.S. If you know of any areas near Mechanicsburg that I should focus my search, please fill me in.

This is the Lehigh Valley forum. Mechanicsburg is Carsile, Harrisburg area.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,289,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kib0001 View Post

I'm the same age as you. Mechanicsburg, in general, is not a place for recent college grads or single 20-somethings. Not to say it's a bad place to live, it's perfect for families. But if you are looking for other people your age and any sort of night life -- you are not going to find it there.

Harrisburg city has a strong young professional organization (Harrisburg Young Professionals) and is pretty much the hotspot for young people in the area. Downtown is pretty hip with restaurants, night life and bars. Midtown has more of the "neighborhood" feel with corner bars, restaurants and coffee shops. That being said, Harrisburg is a city, and if you don't want city-life then you won't want to live here and I would recommend living somewhere on the west shore between Harrisburg and Mechanicsburg such as the Camp Hill area.

In terms of Catholicism, I can't say because I'm not one, but there are certainly plenty of Catholic churches in the area.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 PM

Thanks to the Mod who moved this to the appropriate forum, I apologize.

Danwxman, thanks for the info. It looks like I may be adjusting my search to Harrisburg or Camp Hill.

Old 02-09-2010, 06:53 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,405,343 times
On the whole this area is pretty conservative. St Joan of Arc in Hershey offers a lot more emphasis on life issues vs. social justice issues. Not much for a singles ministry though, they have more on offer for a stay-at-home mom (we actually had to change churches for CCD due to scheduling issues). Hershey isn't really a place for singles, better off closer to Harrisburg or the near West Shore (Lemoyne, Wormleysburg, Camp Hill).

Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM

Thanks, ki0eh. I appreciate the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area