U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 12,276 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Mechanicsburg area soon. We are wanting to find a place that we don't have to buy (we'll only be there 3 years). We would love to rent a single-family home, but are having problems finding such an animal even through Craigslist. We want a family-friendly neighborhood with a great school. We aren't opposed to Catholic School, and are considering that if we live on Carlisle Barracks (the 3 schools that it services don't seem wonderful), but would love to support a good public school instead. Has anyone been through this recently? Where did you find homes to rent? I am not reading great things on this forum about Carlisle. Any new thoughts? Good and bad? As far as Catholic Schools, we have found St Patricks, St Josephs and Good Shephard. Any thoughts on those?
Thank you!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 04:02 PM

18 posts, read 53,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiababes View Post
We are moving to the Mechanicsburg area soon. We are wanting to find a place that we don't have to buy (we'll only be there 3 years). We would love to rent a single-family home, but are having problems finding such an animal even through Craigslist. We want a family-friendly neighborhood with a great school. We aren't opposed to Catholic School, and are considering that if we live on Carlisle Barracks (the 3 schools that it services don't seem wonderful), but would love to support a good public school instead. Has anyone been through this recently? Where did you find homes to rent? I am not reading great things on this forum about Carlisle. Any new thoughts? Good and bad? As far as Catholic Schools, we have found St Patricks, St Josephs and Good Shephard. Any thoughts on those?
Thank you!
I live in Mechanicsburg PA. It might be a little hard to find a single family home to rent. Have you considered renting a townhouse? Some areas a bit nicer than Carlisle would be Mechanicsburg (17050), Camp Hill (17011), Lemoyne(17043), and New Cumberland(17070). You might also check out Enola, Marysville, and East Pennsboro. Like I said finding a single family home to rent might be a little tough... but those areas are nicer than the Carlisle area.
This is a townhouse, and it's in the Mechanicsburg area... might be of interest to you(or maybe not):
3 BR, 2.5 Bath Townhouse- video tour! (http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/1600203334.html - broken link)

Last edited by hpicracing; 02-14-2010 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 12,276 times
Thanks so much for the info. I know that it's asking a lot, but my husband is adamantly against the idea of a townhouse. There inlies the problem. I am running into dead ends trying to find something that suits the size of our family and that will be single-family. Having not been to the area since visiting as a child, I need all of the advice that I can get as far as areas to look. I will certainly begin looking in the areas that you have suggested. Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiababes View Post
Thanks so much for the info. I know that it's asking a lot, but my husband is adamantly against the idea of a townhouse. There inlies the problem. I am running into dead ends trying to find something that suits the size of our family and that will be single-family. Having not been to the area since visiting as a child, I need all of the advice that I can get as far as areas to look. I will certainly begin looking in the areas that you have suggested. Thanks again!
Hmm yeah it's going to be a bit hard finding a single family home for rent around here. But it can be done... here's a house I found in enola that's for rent:
Enola Home Rentals, Homes for Rent in Enola PA, Apartments, Houses for Rent, and Rental Homes in Enola, Pennsylvania (http://www.rentals.com/Pennsylvania/Enola/r1027232/ - broken link)
You could probably find few more in Harrisburg... but the only problem with Harrisburg is some areas out there can be unsafe. If you are interested though you could search the Harrisburg area for a house, look at the address of the home, then go to spotcrime.com and select PA from the top left list, then select Harrisburg Crime Map, then type in the address of the home and it'll show you the reported crimes in the area. Some of the areas of Harrisburg are safe, and most of the one's that aren't are in the city. Harrisburg is also on the east shore though (Enola, Mechanicsburg, New Cumberland and all them are on the west shore)... so Harrisburg would be about a 20 minute drive from the West shore. It's an area you could look into... but personally I'd stay on the West shore... it's safer, the schools are better, and if you have kids it's a better area to raise kids.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,384,804 times
The older parts of Carlisle or even some of the smaller towns around typically do contain row homes or homes very closely spaced and right on top of the sidewalk. That's just the nature of the area, very striking to those who moved from away but the locals seem not to notice.

You might try looking in Newville (Big Spring school district) or Boiling Springs (South Middleton school district), these towns have homes that at least have 5-10' of separation. Folks around here used to advertise in http://www.cumberlink.com/marketplace/classifieds/ but they must not do too much newspaper advertising nowadays.

Last edited by ki0eh; 02-16-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 12:35 PM

167 posts, read 321,484 times
Lots of townhomes for rent in Mechanicsburg area.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
Lots of townhomes for rent in Mechanicsburg area.
i'll second that...

Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 PM

209 posts, read 553,480 times
Check the Patriot News. I see homes in there sometimes. Google it, then click on the Classifieds section.

Carlisle, I like. It's a little more liberal, hip, and whatnot than some of the rest of the area. More to do within a small radius, too, and one of the few places with organic stores and such. You might find houses in Mechanicsburg or DIllsburg too. Dillsburg is maybe 8 miles from Mechanicsburg; more rural, but right off the highway and not too bad. Check around that area too.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 24,711 times
Personally, I would pick Mechanicsburg if given a choice. Cumberland Valley Schools are top notch. Camp Hill school district (in Camp Hill ,PA) is also very good- although it is way smaller than CV. Just a thought....with the housing market being slow....you might want to check with a realtor. They might have a client that would consider renting if their house has been on the market a while. Re-Max seems to be a big agency in the area.

If you do decide that buying a home is the only option that will work for you, there doesn't seem to be as much on the market in the $250,000-$275,000 range. You might find that re-selling a house in this price range would be quicker.

We've lived all over and this is a very nice area. You'll be happy here! Good luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,465 times
come from a military family, now live in south middleton township with my family. what age are kids? I have younger kids, 2nd, 4th, 6th grade and schools are very good. several houses for rent, although rent is almost the same as house payment. a little more rural area, although very close to bigger cities & entertainment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area