U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 11:16 AM

10 posts, read 27,685 times

Advertisements

Hi, I saw some posts related to this topic, but it started in 2007 and a lot change in that time.
We currently live about an hour south of Harrisburg, down 81, but commute to Harrisburg for work. We are looking to relocate to Harrisburg. We want to live a more urban life, in town, ability to walk to places (i.e. work, markets, stores, places to eat, etc.) I really like Harrisburg and the historic district and midtown, uptown, etc. I don't know a lot of about all of the areas, but I have been trying to research them. We have two dogs, one child, for now, and we are looking to rent. Down the road once we have a really good idea of where to live we might by, but for right now, renting is what is best for us.
Any suggestions, info, places to move to, to not move to, places to look for rentals (i.e. web, craigslist, etc).
Any info is appreciated. We are actually staying up this weekend (2-20) and going to a Bears game, but Sunday we have all day to walk around and explore.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:05 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,344,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollybmd View Post
Hi, I saw some posts related to this topic, but it started in 2007 and a lot change in that time.
We currently live about an hour south of Harrisburg, down 81, but commute to Harrisburg for work. We are looking to relocate to Harrisburg. We want to live a more urban life, in town, ability to walk to places (i.e. work, markets, stores, places to eat, etc.) I really like Harrisburg and the historic district and midtown, uptown, etc. I don't know a lot of about all of the areas, but I have been trying to research them. We have two dogs, one child, for now, and we are looking to rent. Down the road once we have a really good idea of where to live we might by, but for right now, renting is what is best for us.
Any suggestions, info, places to move to, to not move to, places to look for rentals (i.e. web, craigslist, etc).
Any info is appreciated. We are actually staying up this weekend (2-20) and going to a Bears game, but Sunday we have all day to walk around and explore.

Thanks.
You want to look in Downtown, Midtown, Shipoke, Bellevue Park (though isolated from the rest of the city) and the Riverside section of Uptown. Sometimes realtors and rental agencies take liberties with neighborhood definitions so feel free to ask or IM me about any specific locations and I can give you more insight. Craigslist is a good a place as any to start your search... Good luck!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM

10 posts, read 27,685 times
Thanks for the info!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:22 PM

209 posts, read 562,436 times
I actually might look into one of the immeadiate suburbs. Harrisburg proper is rather scrungy and there are a lot of shootings--go to spotcrime.org and check it out. You might enjoy Hershey, Hummelstown, area.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
I actually might look into one of the immeadiate suburbs. Harrisburg proper is rather scrungy and there are a lot of shootings--go to spotcrime.org and check it out. You might enjoy Hershey, Hummelstown, area.
A lot of shootings? Sure. In my part of the city? No, actually. It's quite "liberal and artsy" here, you might actually enjoy it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 11,283 times
HollyBMD,

I have lived in the Harrisburg area nearly my entire life. Coming from someone who has been here 30 years, unless you work downtown, I wouldn't recommend living downtown.

Downtown Harrisburg is not a self-contained city. Sure, it has a nice restaurant row, and the Whitaker Center (for the Performing arts), and a few botiques, but parking is a nightmare. Plus, you have to go out to the suburbs to do any type of grocery shopping, or if you want to hit the big box stores. The only houses you'd want to own are the ones that are very expensive. Not to mention, the new Mayor isn't doing such a bang up job.

Harrisburg city lies along the Susquehanna river. If you don't live downtown, you can live on either the "East Shore" or the "West Shore". Here are some of the nicer areas of each:

East Shore
Colonial Park (certain areas)
Linglestown
Hershey (15 minutes to downtown Harrisburg)
Hummelstown (right outside of Hershey)

West Shore
Mechanicsburg (10-15 minutes from downtown Harrisburg)
Camp Hill (10-15 minutes to downtown Harrisburg)

Personally, my choice is hands down the East Shore, which is where I live. I think it's a bit more condensed; more convenient for shopping and commuting. The West Shore tends to be a bit more sprawling and the traffic can be a nightmare. The cost of living is higher on the West Shore than the East. Mechanicsburg is a bit pricey with stately homes and new development.

The area I love most (and would buy a house in if I could) is the Hershey/Hummelstown area. The school district is top notch. Hummelstown is a charming, small-feeling town with a main street. You are in "Chocolate Country", with HersheyPark right at your doorstep. That being said, however, it's not cheap. The taxes are higher as are house prices. But since you are in the area this weekend, check out Hershey Chocolate World if you can! It's a free ride through the factory and you'll get a chance to see how awesome this little town is. Also, the smell of chocolate chip cookies baking in the food area is to die for.

Since you plan on renting, I recommend looking at the Apartment Ratings site first. The ones for Harrisburg are extremely accurate. You can always check out Craigs List too, but beware... there are a LOT of scammers. One of the tells of a scam is when the ad doesn't tell you an exact location or address, or is too general in description. Or, there's the dead giveaways of palm trees in the pictures.

The most desireable zip codes are:

17110 (some areas - Linglestown most desireable)
17036 (Hummelstown)
17033 (Hershey)
17050 (Mechanicsburg)
17055 (Mechanicsburg)

I hope this helps. Please post if you need anything else.

Last edited by CeeGoddess; 02-21-2010 at 09:29 PM..

Old 02-21-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
A lot of shootings? Sure. In my part of the city? No, actually. It's quite "liberal and artsy" here, you might actually enjoy it.
Yes, there are some areas of downtown that are wonderfully historic and artsy. Midtown can be lovely, but I imagine parking can be a bear.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:40 PM

209 posts, read 562,436 times
Oh I know, there are quite artsy areas but I still wouldn't live down there. To me it's kind of scrungy. I agree with the poster who suggested the East Shore--it is very classy, nice, and condensed. If you do go inside city limits though, you can find some good things too.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
Oh I know, there are quite artsy areas but I still wouldn't live down there. To me it's kind of scrungy. I agree with the poster who suggested the East Shore--it is very classy, nice, and condensed. If you do go inside city limits though, you can find some good things too.
Kit,

I wouldn't live downtown either. Even if I worked there, I would still always choose to live on the East Shore. All of us who live here know how it goes - we choose a side and stick with it!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeGoddess View Post
Yes, there are some areas of downtown that are wonderfully historic and artsy. Midtown can be lovely, but I imagine parking can be a bear.
It really depends on the block. I usually get a spot on my block, every once in a while I'll have to park a block over. I know of people who always get spots in front of their house.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me - I chock it up to city living
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area