U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 9,870 times

Advertisements

We are moving to PA this summer from Louisiana, and trying to figure out what area and school district we want to live in online is a bit daunting. We have two children and the older is ready for kindergarten this fall. I was impressed w/ Camp Hill School District and that area, and Carlisle looks like a nice town too. Any feedback on either area and schools would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:06 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,653,763 times
Cumberland Valley (large) and Camp Hill (small, no buses even) are the standard recommended school districts in Cumberland County. Carlisle can be a mixed bag, there's some nice locally owned businesses downtown but the north side of the Borough is a little scary and Mt Holly Springs (although surrounded by South Middleton, they go to Carlisle schools) is kinda downtrodden. South Middleton Twp schools (most areas have a Carlisle address but the old town center is Boiling Springs) seem to be considered better than Carlisle but hard to tell why. My daughter's friend with all day kindergarten in Carlisle seems much further ahead in first grade than my daughter in Derry (still half day K) with supposedly the best rated schools in PA outside Philly or Pgh metros. Carlisle has a good amount of interchange with the outside world as do CV, South Middleton, and to some extent Camp Hill.

On the whole I think Carlisle is a fairly good area to move into, boxes even to the Home Depot/Target level are there so no routine need to head closer to Harrisburg to shop. Coming from LA you might be surprised to learn that native central PA folks think pepper is an exotic spice, you might want to live within range of the excellent Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Harrisburg for routine food shopping as a result as they will come closer to having foods you may be used to than the Giant or (especially) Karns and Weis stores.

Mechanicsburg Area SD doesn't seem as well recommended as CV but again it's hard for me to tell why. They seem to have nice career and environmental programs in middle/high school. Most of the newer subdivisions with a Mechanicsburg postal address are in CV not Mechanicsburg schools.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 9,870 times
I greatly appreciate your thoughts. I should have said on the initial post that while we're moving from Louisiana, my husband is originally from Allentown and I grew up in a little town on Lake Erie in New york. So while we like a good gumbo, it's nothing I make on a weekly basis!

All of the kindergartens in this parish in Louisiana are full day so I was surprised to see half day programs in some of the districts in PA. I am torn on that issue - their attention spans are only so long and I don't feel that a lot of "learning" really happens that last half and certainly quarter of the day, so why not head home? I was on the Carlisle school district's website but couldn't tell if their kindergarten is half or full? Looks like Camp hill is half day. Again - I greatly appreciate your thoughts!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,653,763 times
As a native upstate NY person myself (from between Cortland and Ithaca) I find this area's prevailing food somewhat bland even compared to there. But if you're from WNY presumably you already know about Wegmans.

I've noticed that the school web sites tend not to have relevant information on them about whether K is half or full day. You might have to check links like the bus schedules - if there's midday times listed then K is still half day.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,345,213 times
For being such a small school district, Camp Hill really offers some top notch educational opportunities. They recently began a Chinese language program.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM

8 posts, read 25,115 times
Personally, I would ( and have) chosen Cumberland Valley School District. It's generally the school district that gets the good press- and the homes for sale on the MLS listings highlight CV school district as a selling point. It is a very large district and if there's any bad press at all about the school, you might hear objections to the size. Having said that, there are 8??? elementary schools that funnel into 2 Middle Schools- which all end up in the same high school. Average class size for the elementary is aroundish 20 per classroom. This area is fairly affluent and you will find it very family oriented with families that really care about their children's education. CV is always on the top lists for schools in the country. Whatever your child is interested in, they will have the means to pursuing it in CV schools. Mechanicsburg has many of the area's newer developments- if this is something that matters to you. And although there are many people who have lived here their entire lives, it's also fairly transient and welcoming, in my opinion.

Camp Hill is also a very nice area. It can be pricey- and there aren't as many newer developments. The school is also very good, but it's much smaller. Some people like this. You won't go wrong with either school or area. All in all- this area of Central PA is very nice. And we've lived all over.

I'm happy to help you - if you have any further questions.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:39 AM

6 posts, read 29,943 times
We too are relocating from Louisiana to Pennsylvania around the first of June. Have you had any luck on finding a neighborhood? Thanks!

Michelle

Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM

13,002 posts, read 30,571,339 times
These two sites Pennsylvania Schools - Find a Public or Private Pennsylvania School - SchoolDigger.com and this one SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=hm - broken link) will give you objective information about schools.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:38 PM

31,579 posts, read 71,676,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethconnelly View Post
We are moving to PA this summer from Louisiana...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingtoPAohmy View Post
We too are relocating from Louisiana...
Uh-oh! Am I sensing a gumbo cook-off?!

Old 04-11-2010, 10:46 AM

6 posts, read 29,943 times
Thanks for your offer but we just found out that we are moving to the DC area.

A gumbo cook-off sounds great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area