U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 10:03 AM

7 posts, read 14,840 times

Advertisements

From Kansas City, living in Detroit and now relocating to Maryland!

My husband and I looking for recommendations for cities/towns to live near Hagerstown, MD where he recently got a job. We live in Detroit now - and absolutely hate it due to crime/safety issues. When we moved here two years ago we were fresh out of college and chose a location close to my husbands office which was a mistake. We live in a "rough" neighborhood and have had issues with neighbors trying to break in. We do not want to make the same mistake twice so we are hoping that the wonderful people of Pennsylvania will help us with relocation advice and help us to find a lovely place to live!

About Us
Activities: Running, photography, we both ride dirt-bikes, camping, canoeing, going to the movies, flea market/antiquing and traveling/road/day trips to major cities.
Pets: one dog
Lifestyle: Enjoy a variety of restaurants/hole-in-the-walls nearby, not big on nightclubs but enjoy small pubs, exercise: yoga, running clubs, gyms
Shopping: Target/Walmart, nice grocery store/market, Walgreens pharmacy, mall, movie theatres, farmers markets, etc...
Preferred Type of Community: Looking for a friendly "backyard/cookout" neighborly vibe, prefer not to be too cramped with neighbors (looking for rental houses not apartments/townhouses), safe community, parks nearby - dog-parks are a bonus too, safe to run/walk alone, looking for a town that would be "fun" to live in with plenty of events, younger crowd
Commute: Maximum hour commute from Hagerstown.

Which towns/neighborhoods should we focus our search on based on our lifestyle/needs? We drove through Hagerstown during a recent trip to DC two weeks ago and thought it was very charming. It was our first and only time in the state or area so we could use some local advice. We would really appreciate any help you can offer! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 10:30 AM

4,273 posts, read 10,976,350 times
The PA locations within an hour of Hagerstown don't really have much of a younger crowd, they tend to be pretty conservative older folks. You're probably better off looking towards Frederick, MD or maybe Shepherdstown, WV. But a detached rental house on a lot for a dog will probably be a lot more expensive than in SE Michigan.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:16 PM

208 posts, read 613,255 times
Personally, I would look across the border in West Virginia. We lived in Spring Mills which is between Falling Waters and Martinsburg, WV and loved it. You will only be 10 minutes or so from Hagerstown, MD but the area is more charming and most importantly, it's much cheaper to live there! I would suggest talking to a realtor from that area but I know there are a few neighborhoods similar to what you are looking for. One in particular I'm thinking of is in Falling Waters which is the first exit in WV after leaving MD. It is a nice community that has a swimming pool w/lifeguard in the summer and they have some activities throughout the year. If you focus on those areas, you will find a Target and movie theatre 10 minutes north and 10 minutes south. There is a Walmart in Spring Mills, Martinsburg, and Hagerstown. Best of luck on your move!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM

209 posts, read 573,486 times
I agree about what he said about PA. It's VERY friggin conservative and no young people live there.

Actually I really like Emmitsburg too, in Maryland, it is very rural but not too far from anything really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area