U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM

75 posts, read 184,933 times

Advertisements

I posted a thread asking questions about the Rutherford area. I've since been out there and did not like the area. Now I'm focusing on the Hershey and surrounding areas with-in 20-30 minutes away. The closer the better. My price range is no higher then $1600 a month. We perfer cheaper if it's possbile.

Rentals:
I've been looking into rentals in the Hershey, Hummelstown, Harrisburg,etc areas. I have a few questions that need to be answered to help us make a decision.

Townhome & apartments: Which ones are recommended and which ones whould I say away from? If you have any experiences please post them!

Areas: What areas that are with-in 20-30 of Hershey that are mostly flat, safe(very important!) and are accessible to shopping,etc. I'm only familiar with Hershey, Palmyra and the Farm show Complex area of Harrisburg. I don't know anything about the other areas and I haven't been to any of them.

Rentals agencys/realtors/property management,etc: Are there any rental agencys, realtors, property management companies that handle rentals for the area that I should focus on?

Newspapers/classifieds: What are the popular newspapers in the area that people list homes,townhomes,apartments for rent?

Taxes:
I recently learned that Hershey and surrounding areas charge a residency or occupational tax. I understand that Hershey charges $450 a year($200/spring & $250/Fall) and surrounding areas charge between $200 and $300 a year.
My question is: Why are residences charged that? Why is the tax so high? Where does the money go? Do you only pay it if you work, or does it not matter?
I currently live outside Reading(Mohnton/Green Hills) and we only pay $6-$10 a person. Can someone please explain the tax? I'm sorta confused and will like to understand it a bit more.

Any more information about the area(s) that I need to know would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Another question:

Jobs: I've noticed that there are a lot more jobs in Hershey then where I live. There's not much industry and when a job becomes available 50 or so people apply, the kids around here ruin it for people who want to work,etc. Add to that the jobs around here don't seem to like to hire people without of a lot of experience or people who haven't worked in a long time. It's very frustrating and depressing!

What are the odds in Hershey for getting a job? Do they hire inexperienced people? Are they good or bad?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:02 AM

Bump

No one can answer any of my questions?

Old 05-01-2010, 01:12 PM

29 posts, read 98,279 times
My advice is always the same: don't make definite plans to relocate to the greater Harrisburg area without a firm job offer in hand, unless you have family or friends here you can stay with while you search.

Unless you are recruited for a job here, or transfered here by your employer, you will be at a disadvantage competing for employment simply because you are 'not from around here'. I'm not saying you can't find a job, but the social attitudes here are different from larger metros where many people are strangers in town, with folks always moving in or out.

It's always easier to find a position if you have a specific profession or skill, like something in the medical field or being a pastry chef. The situation you describe -- dozens of people showing up to apply for each new service sector job -- is pretty much what happens here.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:48 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,650,253 times
Flat areas in Hershey and Palmyra tend also to have high sinkhole hazard. Generally fairly safe crime wise though.

In Derry Twp the occupation tax is paid twice, once to the township in late winter, the other to the school district in early summer. Summary of township budget: http://www.derrytownship.org/index.p...get-highlights And school: Derry Township School District | Budget (http://www.hershey.k12.pa.us/5603751026114238/site/default.asp?5603751026114238Nav=|&NodeID=714&5603N av=|&NodeID=776 - broken link)

Some PA school districts by referendum adopted a higher wage tax rate and did away with the occupational tax. Derry Twp has not had such a referendum and consequently the wage tax remains at 1%.

A lower amount tax is usually what used to be called the "occupational privilege tax" and now the "EMS tax" which has a maximum value of $52. It's collected in the municipality where one works not where one lives if they are different.

I work in a small professional office and fully half of each of the professional, paraprofessional, and clerical staffs are not originally from the Harrisburg region. As a result of this and other similar observations over the last dozen years I don't believe Harrisburg is quite as insular as some other smaller cities. Compared to, say, Lancaster, there seems to be a greater exchange of population with the outside world in Harrisburg.Obviously it always helps to "know someone" - especially in a relatively difficult economic climate it's a bad idea to move someplace without a job and I certainly didn't.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Thank you for the reply's.

Unfortunately we're not moving because we want to, we have to. We planned on eventually moving out of this area but now we're forced to move out of our home, we have no choice.

I don't have a job now(can't find one to save my soul) so I can't get transferred. My mother doesn't have a job because she can't find someone to hire her either. Once we find a place to live we will start applying for jobs. Right now either one of us can't because we don't know where were going for sure.

Where I live there's no industry. We're basically in the middle of no where. I figure we can get someone kind of job at Hershey Co, whether it be the theme park, chocolate world, one of the hotels,etc. I've tried to get a job at Hersheypark a few years ago. I went to one of their job fairs, they liked me and wanted to hire me but unfortunately I lived to far, it wouldn't have been safe.

I know that Hershey and Harrisburg have a ton more jobs then they do around here. There not even hiring around here for jobs that we can do, our local paper is empty and so are the job search sites. I should have more of a chance of getting hired out there then I did around here. I guess I just have to pray that someone will give my mother and I a chance, that's all we need.

Again, thank you for the reply's.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,650,253 times
You've likely noticed this website for Hershey Entertainment & Resorts Co. Official Website for Hershey Jobs, Located in Hershey, Pennsylvania

The Hershey Company was known until about five years ago as Hershey Foods Corporation, back then it was less confusing for locals. The chocolate company and the resort/hotel company are separate entities.

Hershey's Chocolate World is run by the chocolate company not the resort/hotel company. See HERSHEY®'S CHOCOLATE WORLD® Attraction - EMPLOYMENT (http://www.hersheys.com/chocolateworld/employment.shtml - broken link)

The resort/hotel company Hershey , PA > Who is Hershey Entertainment & Resorts? is 100% owned by the Milton Hershey School Trust, its beneficiary has job openings at www.mhs-pa.org | Careers The chocolate company is publicly traded with a controlling interest held by the Trust. Investor Relations - The Hershey Company

Old 07-25-2010, 09:24 PM

29 posts, read 100,503 times
ki0eh is once again spot on. I agree with everything they said.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:35 PM

3,593 posts, read 8,151,411 times
Used to live in Hershey and the school taxes and the occupation tax were both really high. When I went to the tax office to cut them a check and to find out what all these taxes were for the clerk admitted that they were nuisance taxes. If you can't afford to pay them, they don't want you living in Hershey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area