U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 02:17 PM

10,107 posts, read 15,378,154 times

Advertisements

are there any secure (doorman or semi-secure complex) that are IN Harrisburg? specifically, the walkable area near restaurant row, the capitol, and the train station? preferrably newer (or renovated)? basically, it would be need to be secure enough to be left unattended for a few months at a time.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 07:28 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,359,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
are there any secure (doorman or semi-secure complex) that are IN Harrisburg? specifically, the walkable area near restaurant row, the capitol, and the train station? preferrably newer (or renovated)? basically, it would be need to be secure enough to be left unattended for a few months at a time.
Pennsylvania Place and Executive House are the two most notable. Both are high-rises downtown less than a few minute walk to restaurant row, very close to the train station. PA Place was renovated in the late 1990's and Executive House hasn't been renovated for quite some time.

Another place to consider might be Old City Hall. Beautiful apartments, located right between the train station and Capitol complex also a couple minutes from 2nd street.

If you want some insider info on all three and others.. check out http://www.floor9.com, he's a local blogger who just recently moved downtown. He eventually settled on Executive House.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,675,068 times
To the best of my knowledge, none of the buildings have doormen. However, they all have front desks to receive deliveries and handle day-to-day leasing issues. All of the buildings I recently looked at had intercom systems for after-hours access control. Some of them also have after-hours security on-site (Executive House does; I am not sure about PA Place or The Grayco). I would have no qualms about leaving my apartment vacant for several months in any of these places.

The residential hirise buildings within easy walking distance to restaurant row are (in no particular order) The Grayco, Executive House, Pennsylvania Place. There are also a number of walkup apartments located above the storefronts / offices along Front, Second, and Third, as well as all the side alleyways. Just walk down the street and look for the "for rent" signs. Your quality and security with these is variable, but the act of seeking them out will help familiarize you with the area (and some of those are fascinating).

And thanks for the link, Dan! Yeah, Executive House hasn't seen a facelift since 2000 and their interior was last remodeled in the late 80s. If they would just repaint the outward-facing balcony edges, it would do wonders for their exterior appearance. As for the lobby ... well, it would be nice to have a better-looking lobby, but my low rent is even better.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
To the best of my knowledge, none of the buildings have doormen. However, they all have front desks to receive deliveries and handle day-to-day leasing issues. All of the buildings I recently looked at had intercom systems for after-hours access control. Some of them also have after-hours security on-site (Executive House does; I am not sure about PA Place or The Grayco). I would have no qualms about leaving my apartment vacant for several months in any of these places.

The residential hirise buildings within easy walking distance to restaurant row are (in no particular order) The Grayco, Executive House, Pennsylvania Place. There are also a number of walkup apartments located above the storefronts / offices along Front, Second, and Third, as well as all the side alleyways. Just walk down the street and look for the "for rent" signs. Your quality and security with these is variable, but the act of seeking them out will help familiarize you with the area (and some of those are fascinating).

And thanks for the link, Dan! Yeah, Executive House hasn't seen a facelift since 2000 and their interior was last remodeled in the late 80s. If they would just repaint the outward-facing balcony edges, it would do wonders for their exterior appearance. As for the lobby ... well, it would be nice to have a better-looking lobby, but my low rent is even better.
Completely understandable about the rent. My main problem with both the Executive House and Pennsylvania Place is the rather unpleasant, unfriendly to pedestrian feeling I get from either building whenever walking nearby. They don't open up to the street well.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Completely understandable about the rent. My main problem with both the Executive House and Pennsylvania Place is the rather unpleasant, unfriendly to pedestrian feeling I get from either building whenever walking nearby. They don't open up to the street well.
That's sort of the idea I was getting at in my "pedestrian-friendly" post. Executive House, for example, has some street-level office space on the exterior. It would be nice to see that developed with assorted lightweight retail, but at the same time, there is really nothing else on that corner (a hotel, a garage, and a hospital). So even if they were to develop it further, I don't think it would be very successful unless they could stretch the SoMo district down that far -- and that is, literally and figuratively, a stretch.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
That's sort of the idea I was getting at in my "pedestrian-friendly" post. Executive House, for example, has some street-level office space on the exterior. It would be nice to see that developed with assorted lightweight retail, but at the same time, there is really nothing else on that corner (a hotel, a garage, and a hospital). So even if they were to develop it further, I don't think it would be very successful unless they could stretch the SoMo district down that far -- and that is, literally and figuratively, a stretch.
Yeah, that section of downtown just feels too utilitarian. The lonely stretch of Chestnut street that still retains its original character (north side between 3rd and Dewberry) struggles because of that. BTW, I'd love to see a mid-rise go up on the northwest corner of 3rd and Chestnut. How do you think a grocery store would do there? It's a bit far from the neighborhoods but I do feel that the apartment buildings plus high downtown daytime worker population might sustain it.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
BTW, I'd love to see a mid-rise go up on the northwest corner of 3rd and Chestnut. How do you think a grocery store would do there? It's a bit far from the neighborhoods but I do feel that the apartment buildings plus high downtown daytime worker population might sustain it.
I'd love to see a grocery there, or anywhere within 2-3 blocks of Executive House / PA Place. The two I use now -- one on Fourth by the train station and one on Second down near Ceoltas -- always miss one or two things I want. I don't need a Giant or Karns, but a place well-stocked with staples like bread, spaghetti sauce, pet food / litter, fruits, veggies, canned soup, and a decent meat selection (lunchmeat + ground beef + bacon) would be great!

If Olewine's would just stretch their hours a little more, that would help. Honestly, I don't understand how it's profitable to be open only when all the nearby residents are away at work.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,493 times
The Simon-Cameron Apartments are in Olde Uptown. They do not have a doorman, but they do have a security system that requires a code for entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area