Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,023 times

Advertisements

My husband and i are looking to leave the NYC, we have a 12 yr old and a 15 yr old whom are also looking forward to the change. My husband is a glazier and i am certified in medical billing and coding. I was wondering how is the job market? i've done some research but theres nothing better than to ask the people who actually live in Harrisburg. So if you can shed some light about Harrisburg it would be a appreciated. We have been in NYC to long life here is getting expensive. I need a Good High school and a good JR High school.
Please help all your opinions are welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Welcome to Central PA!

Despite some job losses, our unemployment still beats the national and state averages. I can't speak to the fields you mentioned, but across the board we're doing pretty well.

Unemployment rate in the Harrisburg-Carlisle area crept up in July | PennLive.com

I don't have any children so I don't have any insight on the schools for you. It goes without saying that real estate (rental or ownership) is dirt, dirt, dirt cheap compared to NY. $100k will buy you a nice middle-class detached home in a decent neighborhood here, and you won't have trouble finding a mansion for under $200k. Be prepared for a major difference in mass transit; we're very lacking in that area.

If you can post some answers to questions in the "help for new posters" thread, we can give you some more specific advice.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:57 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
Welcome to Central PA!

Despite some job losses, our unemployment still beats the national and state averages. I can't speak to the fields you mentioned, but across the board we're doing pretty well.

Unemployment rate in the Harrisburg-Carlisle area crept up in July | PennLive.com

I don't have any children so I don't have any insight on the schools for you. It goes without saying that real estate (rental or ownership) is dirt, dirt, dirt cheap compared to NY. $100k will buy you a nice middle-class detached home in a decent neighborhood here, and you won't have trouble finding a mansion for under $200k. Be prepared for a major difference in mass transit; we're very lacking in that area.

If you can post some answers to questions in the "help for new posters" thread, we can give you some more specific advice.
I think you should add $100K to each of those numbers.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:21 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
The VA hospital in Lebanon, PA (east of Harrisburg) is expanding so that might be a good thing to check out. Kreamer Bros. is a well regarded glass shop, they are nervy enough to ask for (and get) payment in advance. The Penn State Hershey medical center seems always to be expanding too.

Harrisburg City (the city is a small part of the area with a Harrisburg postal address) schools rank dead last in PA, and Steelton-Highspire isn't much better. Middletown is a stable, somewhat mixed race community where home prices are more modest than in other suburbs, handy to Amtrak for trips back to NYC as well. Lower Dauphin schools usually rank fairly well and don't carry the price premium of the neighboring, only slightly better ranked Derry Twp (Hershey) schools, and the Borough of Hummelstown (a small part of the area with a Hummelstown postal address) where the LD middle and high schools are can offer solid homes in a stable community.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,922,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
I think you should add $100K to each of those numbers.
I disagree. I'll refrain from posting links so as to avoid the appearance of spamming, but I just checked Realtor.com and saw a 1700 sqft townhome in Shipoke for $118k, and I'm sure that could be negotiated down to around $100k. And a lot of the standalone homes on Second Street go for under $200k north of Maclay. In fact, there is a REALLY nice 2600-sq-ft 4br, 2.5ba listed right now for $189k.

Chewy, you'll obviously want to talk to a competent realtor first, but there are plenty of good properties to be had in Harrisburg in the prices I mentioned and in decent neighborhoods. Once you get out of the city (and as ki0eh said, I doubt you want your children in Harrisburg's school districts), the prices get even lower.

Fair warning, though. Harrisburg is facing some dark times right now. Our short-term future is going to have some very rough water due to severe financial problems. If you can, now would not be the worst time to consider renting for a few years. I know traditional logic states that purchasing a home is always better than renting, but the cold reality is that with dropping home values and the very real possibility of tax hikes, buying a home in the city is, for the moment, less financially sound than renting.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:38 PM

2 posts, read 7,023 times
Default moving out of NYC

I would like to thank everyone for taking out the time to reply.
I'm actually thinking about renting for at least the first 2 yrs after relocating, wherever we go right now its up in the air. It's either Pennsylvania or down south somewhere as long as its far away from NYC.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
I disagree. I'll refrain from posting links so as to avoid the appearance of spamming, but I just checked Realtor.com and saw a 1700 sqft townhome in Shipoke for $118k, and I'm sure that could be negotiated down to around $100k. And a lot of the standalone homes on Second Street go for under $200k north of Maclay. In fact, there is a REALLY nice 2600-sq-ft 4br, 2.5ba listed right now for $189k.

Chewy, you'll obviously want to talk to a competent realtor first, but there are plenty of good properties to be had in Harrisburg in the prices I mentioned and in decent neighborhoods. Once you get out of the city (and as ki0eh said, I doubt you want your children in Harrisburg's school districts), the prices get even lower.

Fair warning, though. Harrisburg is facing some dark times right now. Our short-term future is going to have some very rough water due to severe financial problems. If you can, now would not be the worst time to consider renting for a few years. I know traditional logic states that purchasing a home is always better than renting, but the cold reality is that with dropping home values and the very real possibility of tax hikes, buying a home in the city is, for the moment, less financially sound than renting.
Oh, you're referring to Harrisburg, then yes. But the OP was looking for suburban locales.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM

25 posts, read 39,555 times
I would look in the linglestown area , central dauphin school district good middle and high school. about 10-15 minutes outside the city lines of harrisburg. Private schools i would take a look at bishop mcdevitt highschool which is currently in the city lines of harrisburg , but they are building a new school i believe.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM

12 posts, read 34,202 times
I did the opposite. I relocated from Hbg PA to NYC a few yrs ago. Miss Hbg very much.
I used to work part time at Hershey Med and would definitely check there. Overall, expect a 1/3 to 2/3 salary drop in the midstate (but, of course, you don't need as much money to live well out there).
Housing is very reasonable. Unless things have changed, you'll have to go 70 miles into Baltimore or the Philly Suburbs for Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Sephora and the other stores on every corner here in the city.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:42 AM

12 posts, read 34,202 times
Quote:
I disagree. I'll refrain from posting links so as to avoid the appearance of spamming, but I just checked Realtor.com and saw a 1700 sqft townhome in Shipoke for $118k, and I'm sure that could be negotiated down to around $100k...<p>
...Fair warning, though. Harrisburg is facing some dark times right now. Our short-term future is going to have some very rough water due to severe financial problems. If you can, now would not be the worst time to consider renting for a few years. I know traditional logic states that purchasing a home is always better than renting, but the cold reality is that with dropping home values and the very real possibility of tax hikes, buying a home in the city is, for the moment, less financially sound than renting.
Don't get me wrong. When I lived in Hbg, I lived downtown w/i walking distance of Shipoke and thought it a beautiful, historic area...to visit! Not to live IMO. I also lived there during some of the worst flooding the area has seen and Shipoke experiences disasterous flooding. Like, your whole house underwater kinda flooding. Also, the neighborhood literally stinks b/c it's near the municipal waste treatment facility.
I was kinda surprised when I heard a few mos ago that Hbg was in such financial trouble. Thank goodness Mayor Reed was voted out although I don't know that his replacement will be any better. Goodness only knows why local laws allow a mayor to remain in office for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area