U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 05:34 PM

109 posts, read 348,536 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just got back from visiting Harrisburg. He will be going to the Widener law school there in August so we decided to take a trip up there and see the area. Before I get into what I want to say, let me first preface this by saying that I am from CA and lived in TX for most of my adult life. I recently moved to RI w/my husband. My husband is from TX. We are both prior military and have pretty much been everywhere overseas and stateside. Now to the good stuff....I have never seen a more beautiful place in my life (well.... state side at least). I went to Harrisburg, York, Camp Hill, Carlisle,Mechanicsburg, etc. I did not have time to go to Hershey though. The area is just soooo beautiful! I just dont understand how there is any crime there at all! Maybe I didnt see the right areas. But I went all around Widener, downtown (around the governors mansion, the river, the court house, capital, etc) and I saw some rough areas but not nearly enough to be scared for my life. All this talk about the high crime in Harrisburg... I guess I just expected something else. Maybe thats just because I grew up in CA. I dont know. All I know is that it was so stunning. I cannot wait to move there now in August.

Any insight/feedback/comments will be greatly appreciated. The only thing I am worried about is (1) I didnt see any local VA Hospitals (my husband and I are both covered there) and (2) not enough houses for sale/rentals.

By the way: The whole trip we were treated very nice. Everyone was so friendly. I never like to listen to other's opinion on the treatment of outsiders because it really just depends on the attitude you bring to the table. I am always friendly and I always smile and thankfully, I am mostly always treated with the same level of kindness. If you do the same, I see no reason to worry.

Last edited by Fudgecopper; 05-08-2010 at 05:43 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 02:23 PM

13,026 posts, read 30,954,298 times
Here are the locations for VA Hospitals in Pennsylvania VISN 4: VA Healthcare - VISN 4 - Locations

Here's a link for house rentals and sales - Rentals.com - Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Townhomes, Condos & Vacation Rental Properties For rentals, make sure to click the rental button.

This is an allowed site for the forum because it has listings from multiple realty companies.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state, It's so nice to hear a confirmation from people from outside of the area. Good luck in your move!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 PM

21 posts, read 71,526 times
Harrisburg will have bad parts its big enough that there will be rougher neighborhoods but for the most part the area is not bad at all and definitely not as dangerous as it may be perceived. Relative to other parts of the country its actually probably one of the better places to live.

I'm not sure why so many cities in PA get this perception of being dangerous...I visited Lancaster a couple of weeks ago and thought it was one of the nicest cities I've visited in a while but when talking to people you would have thought I needed to wear a bullet proof vest.

Good luck with your move and welcome to PA.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:01 PM

Thank you toobusytoday for giving me that link to the VA hospitals in PA. Yes, Pennsylvania is so beautiful and I cannot wait to move there in August. If Harrisburg is this beautiful, I cannot imagine what other parts of Pennsylvania look like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here are the locations for VA Hospitals in Pennsylvania VISN 4: VA Healthcare - VISN 4 - Locations

Here's a link for house rentals and sales - Rentals.com - Homes for Rent, Apartments, Houses for Rent, Townhomes, Condos & Vacation Rental Properties For rentals, make sure to click the rental button.

This is an allowed site for the forum because it has listings from multiple realty companies.

Pennsylvania is a beautiful state, It's so nice to hear a confirmation from people from outside of the area. Good luck in your move!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofJoePA View Post
Harrisburg will have bad parts its big enough that there will be rougher neighborhoods but for the most part the area is not bad at all and definitely not as dangerous as it may be perceived. Relative to other parts of the country its actually probably one of the better places to live.

I'm not sure why so many cities in PA get this perception of being dangerous...I visited Lancaster a couple of weeks ago and thought it was one of the nicest cities I've visited in a while but when talking to people you would have thought I needed to wear a bullet proof vest.

Good luck with your move and welcome to PA.
Thank you CupofJoe. I don't think its as dangerous as it may be perceived either. Im sure there are some rough areas there but not nearly to the extent that some people make it out to be. I guess I will find out more when I move there. All in all, out of all the places I have lived, I have never been more excited in moving to a new location than I am about moving to Harrisburg. It is truly beautiful and I really think I found "the place."

Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 PM

8,778 posts, read 18,346,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgecopper View Post
If Harrisburg is this beautiful, I cannot imagine what other parts of Pennsylvania look like.
It's beautiful when the grass is green and there are leaves on the trees.

When the leaves are gone and everything is covered with tons of snow, not so beautiful. Being from CT, i'm used to snow and cold temps, but PA just feels quite depressing in winter. IMHO.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:42 PM

24 posts, read 54,654 times
I think the perception of high crime is because there isn't much of it. So when it happens, comparatively it looks bad. Central PA is beautiful. You will love Hershey, and being ex-military there are a few VA hospitals plus commissaries, px, etc. (War College is very nice. Loads of former military retire here).

Old 05-10-2010, 09:20 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,357,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgecopper View Post
Thank you toobusytoday for giving me that link to the VA hospitals in PA. Yes, Pennsylvania is so beautiful and I cannot wait to move there in August. If Harrisburg is this beautiful, I cannot imagine what other parts of Pennsylvania look like.
I had the same reaction during my visits to PA prior to moving out here. Having come from WI, the scenery is much different

Welcome to Pennsylvania!

Old 05-10-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wigirl920 View Post
I had the same reaction during my visits to PA prior to moving out here. Having come from WI, the scenery is much different

Welcome to Pennsylvania!
Thank you wigirl. Do you still feel the same way?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,693,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix View Post
I think the perception of high crime is because there isn't much of it. So when it happens, comparatively it looks bad.
I think that the perception is as much due to the infamous "east shore vs west shore" rivalry as anything. We all know at least a handful of people from the west shore who refuse to set foot in Harrisburg "because of all the crime". And likewise, there are plenty of people in Harrisburg who avoid Mechanicsburg because it's "too far" or "out in the sticks". Claims like this tend to get repeated and exaggerated over the years, and as ridiculous as it may sound, account for why so many people avoid crossing those bridges, often with comedic results.

I walk through downtown Harrisburg at all hours of the night without any problems. Going through midtown I prefer to remain a little more aware of my surroundings, but still wouldn't think twice about walking to HMAC or a friend's townhouse late at night.

Crime does exist in the city, and there are sections that definitely need improvement. But anyone referring to the area as having "high crime rates" ... well, I'd start to wonder if they've ever been outside the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area