U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:10 PM

48 posts, read 143,262 times

Advertisements

Spam w/ Bacon. I gotta get me some of that. That's just so wrong, it's got to be right!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 AM

4,131 posts, read 6,705,235 times
For some reason my mom loves SPAM. She's never even been to Hawaii. I think it's OK but I don't really love it.

I do love corned beef though. It's really popular in Trinidad and I grew up on it. Corned beef sandwiches, corned beef with cabbage and rice... delicious. It seems to be pretty popular here in Hawaii too judging by how much I see at the groceries. On the mainland people think it's disgusting because of how it looks and to most people there "corned beef" is the sliced stuff in a ruben sandwich.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 AM

40 posts, read 104,899 times
I like spam musubi and spam with tabasco sauce and rice I also like the hot flavored spam.

I think it's pretty cool how we have all of these spam cookbooks, including this one:

Amazon.com: Hawaii Cooks with Spam: Local Recipes Featuring Our Favorite Canned Meat (9781566478533): Muriel Miura: Books

Old 06-14-2010, 04:18 AM

BTW I assume the reason SPAM is popular in Hawaii is that before modern technology it was a lot easier to get than fresh meat. Now we have cargo ships bringing frozen pork and beef.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:26 AM

44,257 posts, read 56,951,405 times
Um, Spam is everywhere! It gets its own aisle at the store!

"I'll have the toast."
"With spam?"
"No. And I will also have some eggs and hash browns."
"With spam?"
"NO! And can I have some coffee and OJ?"
"With spam?"
"NOOOO!!!!"

LOL...

(this actually happened to us)

Old 06-14-2010, 09:09 AM

23,572 posts, read 24,687,413 times

YouTube - Monty Python - Spam

Old 06-14-2010, 10:59 AM

1,919 posts, read 3,459,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
BTW I assume the reason SPAM is popular in Hawaii is that before modern technology it was a lot easier to get than fresh meat. Now we have cargo ships bringing frozen pork and beef.
No, the reason it is so popular is that during WWII it was readily available (introduced by the Military) and it was a staple that kept people fed during wartime when rationing was a way of life.

We grew to like the taste and this affection has been passed on successive newer generations.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:49 PM

493 posts, read 1,323,224 times
My wife has that Spam cookbook! We're in soCal and love Spam and eggs with potatoes, and especially Spam musubi.

It's interesting to see all of those varieties of Spam. I'd probably enjoy the one with bacon.

One day we were in Honolulu for my wife's conference at UH, I was going to pick up something quick for lunch, as her group tended to order in and keep going during lunch. I stopped by the familiar L&L Hawaiian BBQ that we have here. The plan was to buy some Spam musubi and some kalua pork. The woman at L&L told me that they didn't have Spam musubi on the menu because it was so cheap to make that the locals wouldn't buy it!

Old 06-14-2010, 10:21 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,357,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
uh, "before modern technology" ?? ... define "modern" ... SPAM was first marketed in 1937, and popularized in Hawaii during WWII ... cattle first arrived in Hawaii in 1790's and ships were sending beef to the mainland from Parker Ranch on Big Island since the early-ish to mid 1800's ... beef wasn't hard to get in Hawaii. Hawaiians just fell in love with it on its own merits

Old 06-14-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
uh, "before modern technology" ?? ... define "modern" ... SPAM was first marketed in 1937, and popularized in Hawaii during WWII ... cattle first arrived in Hawaii in 1790's and ships were sending beef to the mainland from Parker Ranch on Big Island since the early-ish to mid 1800's ... beef wasn't hard to get in Hawaii. Hawaiians just fell in love with it on its own merits
Modern being the freezers on the ships that let us get all this fresh meat on our little islands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii