U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM

45 posts, read 125,931 times

Advertisements

Go here:

The Book of SPAM

;-)
MauiBowman
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 04:59 PM

23,599 posts, read 33,346,314 times
The post about SPAM coming to the islands during WW II is correct. For the military, that was often an integral part of their diet to such an extent that I never tasted SPAM until I was in my 20s and well on my own. My father, a career Marine Corps aviator who flew in the Pacific during the war wouldn't allow it in the house. He'd had his fill of it and never wanted to see, smell or taste it again - EVER!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 AM

649 posts, read 3,288,175 times
That's so funny. My dad was in the Navy (SeaBees) in WWII, and we never had SPAM in the house either, when I was growing up. Apparently one time their refrigeration unit broke down on a ship and they had to live on SPAM and one other thing (can't remember what) for, like, 28 days. So he never wanted to see it again.

I never got to taste SPAM until I moved out.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:24 AM

649 posts, read 3,288,175 times
Oh, and the other day I made SPAM fried rice, fried in coconut oil from the coconuts on my very own trees. It was awesomely good.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:38 AM

8 posts, read 22,228 times
Gawd why would anyone eat that nasty stuff...parts and pieces! What cracks me up is how many ppl here wont eat a hot dog but they eat spam. really!? at least a hot dog doesn't have gelatinous stuff all on the outside, just plain nasty! Not to mention the rice everything here is two scoops of rice with mac salad...really do you need that much carbs? I was surprised at first by all the large people here, but not after seeing all the carbs and huge portions they eat. And don't even get me started on LocoMoco. Who came up with that mish mash! :P:!

Old 06-28-2010, 12:47 AM

4,131 posts, read 6,700,389 times
I don't think it's the rice making people fat. They eat a LOT of rice in Asia and obesity is rare. It's the SPAM and fried food.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 AM

155 posts, read 477,794 times
What do you think poi is? Pure carbs but at it's simplest. Some places feed poi to people who are starved/malnourished because it is one of the easiest foods to digest. Pacific Islanders are huge because of the fried food, large portions, and unhealthy food that WESTERN MAN brought! I have looked at statistics of the PI's while doing a research paper on Diabetes in Hawaiians on Oahu and on a list of the top ten fattest countries; 7 were in the South Pacific! They would not be in this list if not for the shipments of unhealthy food brought in to their countries. Before Western Man, they subsisted on fish, fruits and vegies, and small game like pigs and such. They also didn't sit around all day playing XBox but were farming/fishing. Ok I don't know how I got on this soapbox so will step off (sorry it's a habit to go on about health cuz I'm a nurse and I have worked in Hawaii). On the Spam note, love it with fried rice but have a hard time eating a slab of it on rice.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:45 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,978,382 times
You need to look into your Hawaiian history a little bit more nurse.

To be large was a sign of prosperity in ancient Hawaii. Food was a ceremony and I mean large quantities and often.

And as such the diseases that plague societies that overeat are common with the Hawaiian People. That's why these diseases are mostly hereditary; we have developed them over time by overeating.

Diabetes and CAD rule supreme amongst many of the Hawaiian population.

All societies would do good if they didn't overeat. Look at what's happening with our kids these days. Obesity is a horrible concern for all races everywhere.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 AM

155 posts, read 477,794 times
Yes I know fatness was a sign of wealth in the past (and currently in places) but the foods have changed. I am a Nurse not a nurse and I'll thank you to remember that. But whatever, spam is still aholes and hooves like hot dogs; tasty if you really don't think about what they're made of.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 AM

3,753 posts, read 10,426,869 times
If you really look at Hawaiian history, you will notice that they routinely sacrificed a large percentage of their own people. It was a very violent society. Even though they tend to be heavy/obese, they live longer now than they did on average just 150 years ago - because they have a chance now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii