U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:39 PM

10,811 posts, read 20,908,410 times

Advertisements

Usually their check doesn't cover the increased costs of living on a remote island so they end up needing more subsidies which are paid out of what's going to the folks already in need here. We don't have enough for our own, let alone newcomers. There are also rumors of a lot of mainland agencies shipping folks over to Hawaii to get them off their programs. It's cheaper to fly them away than to continue to give them benefits. Also, the SSI and disability check folks are looking for the low income housing which we don't have enough of for our own folk so it just strains an already overloaded system. Other than that, it's all good.

At one point, someone was asking me to design an elder care building where the family could live upstairs and they would have space for up to four elder care residents below. They figured that would provide them with enough to build their house as well as provide them with an instant business. It might be a viable thing for other folks to do, too. They could take in disability, SSI, elders, etc. and make enough to keep themselves while taking care of others. Then the folks could afford to move over and live here and provide work for some of the folks already here.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,636,126 times
Joliefille: Point taken; my gripe is with people that work the system and make a living doing it.

I also have issues with people wanting to move to Hawaii simple because of the social benefits here.

Does anyone have the right to move where they want? Yes, but Hawaii has it own citizens to worry about.

Last edited by Balad1; 07-08-2010 at 12:42 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 12:48 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,963,239 times
So, if a local family decides to move to the mainland, in order to get a better (free) education for their children, they're taking advantage?
I wouldn't assume so....Most of these programs are federally supported anyway and we all pay into it.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:21 AM

For someone that lives in Hawaii you seem oblivious to the critical state of Hawaii's social services and budget versus residents in need. Take a drive up the Waianae coast and see all the homeless living on the beach and then talk to me about bringing in new people from the mainland.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 PM

820 posts, read 2,836,868 times
I guess I'd find it pretty hard to believe that any mainland agencies are shipping people off to Hawaii in any kind of organized way. It's hard enough to get any agency to pay for regular things; getting a plane ticket and maybe moving expenses seems really unlikely.

There have always been rumors like this. I'm quite sure that there are instances where people have been given a ride or bus ticket out of towns or counties or perhaps even states. But I'd guess that's someone taking matters into their own hands, and not any kind of organized official program.

And while I agree that any area, especially one with physically limited resources, can't support an unending influx of new residents, at what point does one become the last one in? I moved here 6 years ago, do I now get to say "no more"? Or should it have been cut off before me? Who's going to make the call of who gets to live where, and based on what criteria? Tricky issue and the only way to limit a social catastrophe is to have planned growth - limiting development.

I do think it might be wise for places everywhere to have some kind of resident criteria before handing out benefits. Perhaps someone should have had to show they lived in a state for X number of months before they get state aid. Maybe rules those exist, I don't know.

I do think there are lots of people who could work, but don't. And to the question of disability, I also think there are people who have qualified for disability who aren't really truly disabled. I know a few of them personally, they claim back problems but seem to be fine working in their yards, carrying cases of beer, going surfing... how can they have a back problem that prevents them from doing something other than hanging out and taking the benefit?

Thank goodness for my attitude that I also know many, many hardworking people who have either lived here a long time or recently moved here. Not everyone who moves is going to be a drain on the existing resources.

We might all, from time to time, complain about the cost of living here. But one major benefit is that it keeps a lot more people from moving in, and it makes some move out when they can't keep up. Imagine how crowded it would be if things were cheap!

Old 07-08-2010, 01:19 PM

3,753 posts, read 10,487,218 times
Limiting development is a tricky issue. A bad side effect is rapidly rising prices for real estate - land and property. Those high real estate prices lead to higher house prices and higher rent, which forces people at lower incomes into bad situations. In reality, retirees that move here from the mainland are actually driving up costs because they have the money (and are willing to spend it) in order to buy property here. They are willing to overpay/outbid residents to get what they want.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM

I personally don't have issues with people moving here if they can support themselves. To move here simply to go on welfare is a different story though.

Like you I know a good many people that receive VA or SS disability and aren't. Many people here on Kauai have it down to an art form. I don't know if it's due to lack of jobs or cultural but it's pretty sad in either case.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

3,753 posts, read 10,487,218 times
I don't believe you can "simply go on welfare" by moving here. SNAP (food stamps new name) and WIC benefits are available almost immediately but also have residency requirements. I *think* it is 6 months?
Welfare, TANF (temporary assistance for needy families) housing assistance, etc. require much longer waiting periods and are more stringent. In fact, housing assistance is almost impossible to get in Hawaii - there is a 9000+ family waiting list as of the last time I read about it. Funds are limited and it is on a first-come, first-served basis so they are not taking any newbies.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:55 PM

820 posts, read 2,836,868 times
We also see people on HUD who seem quite able to work, but don't. Or who are spending the money they do have on entertainment, both legal and not.

This kind of problem isn't limited to Hawaii, nor any one culture, unless you call it the culture of lazy!

Some people seem to give up when things are difficult or inconvenient. Others buckle down and figure out a new plan.

I really am all for giving folks help when they need it. I'd like to see more elderly care than give it to healthy but lazy youth to early seniors.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:42 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,367,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
So, if a local family decides to move to the mainland, in order to get a better (free) education for their children, they're taking advantage?
I wouldn't assume so....Most of these programs are federally supported anyway and we all pay into it.
If their intention was to move there, not work, and go on social services in order take advantage of the superior public education system (which they are not paying into because they don't pay taxes because they are not working) then I would consider that taking advantage and I suspect that the locals in any city would not want those people moving to their area.

Social programs are wonderful things when people use them to get through a tough time or supplement their income when they are doing their best but can't make ends meet. People moving to a tropical island to bum around and mooch off the system is a whole different ballgame. It is a drain on the already limited resources of that community and an extremely selfish thing to do.

Last edited by UHgrad; 07-08-2010 at 02:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii