U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,622,394 times

Advertisements

For those that are considering a move to the Big Island without ample funds, this is how bad things are:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2010/06/30/local_news/local02.txt (broken link)
Rate this post positively

Old 07-06-2010, 11:11 PM

28 posts, read 98,848 times
Crap, it's only going to get worse, just visited boise, man that's a pretty nice city, the parks, no homeless, downtown, 2 homeless, that I saw, all in all, nice town.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:20 PM

10,779 posts, read 20,789,021 times
I know a few of those folks who are getting food stamps now and they didn't before. They would work if they could find any. There just aren't any jobs out there at all these days.

Although yesterday I did see a "applications being accepted" sign on the door of Subways in Waimea. Very small and discreet sign, it wasn't posted in the newspaper, either. They probably don't want to be deluged with applications. That's been the first "help wanted" sign I've seen in a business window this year. I suspect it won't be there next week when we go past their store again, too. With this much unemployment going on, perhaps that's the new way for businesses to find workers, just a very small discreet sign or even word of mouth would be enough to get prospective workers to show up.

I know a lot of folks who aren't getting unemployment benefits, are unemployed, looking for work and not finding any. They would be willing to do just about anything but they aren't finding anything at all. They aren't included in the "unemployment numbers" either so I suspect the actual amount of unemployment is much higher than the posted numbers.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:35 PM

820 posts, read 2,830,083 times
A lot of my friends are out of work, mostly on the mainland, and one frequent topic of conversation is how the search for a job is a very different process from what worked in the past.

As hotzcatz mentioned, you don't see signs posted in windows as much. You also won't see ads in newspapers or even in the online services such as Monster, Jobs, or Craigslist. Many employers these days are going on recommendations and referrals from current employees, because it has the benefits of:

1. Current employee gets a small bonus if their referral gets hired; the money spent on ads or agencies goes to employees who appreciate it much more. Sometimes the bonus is paid after the newbie completes the first 3 months, which leads to #2 below.

2. An employee to makes a successful referral often feels a bit responsible for the successful employment of the newbie, plus they are usually friends. This means the current employee will dedicate time to helping the newbie, both on the clock and after work. Better training, more support.

3. Employees who make referrals know the habits of their friends, and now there is a bonus if the placement lasts. The employees are therefore unlikely to refer someone who is a flake about showing up or getting along, which means those referred are already a better class of worker. Of course the employer has to keep in mind who's doing the referral.

4. Getting referrals means an employer doesn't have to wade through tons of applications and resumes. Less time wasted.

Those who are looking for work should dedicate a significant portion of their time networking - contact everyone you know, ask them about their workplace, ask for referrals, etc. Linked In and Facebook and other social sites should be used to check out if anyone you know, or their friends, work at a place to which you want to apply. That means if you do hear about a job at a company, check around to see if anyone you know, or their linked friends have any contacts at that company. Then start asking for help with turning in your resume.

Just submitting resumes by mail or email is really not the way to go anymore. Applicants need a helping hand from someone on the inside.

Those of you with jobs should consider asking your employers about referral policies, and see if they are willing to give bonuses (if they don't already).

Old 07-07-2010, 06:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 3,332,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
A lot of my friends are out of work, mostly on the mainland, and one frequent topic of conversation is how the search for a job is a very different process from what worked in the past.

As hotzcatz mentioned, you don't see signs posted in windows as much. You also won't see ads in newspapers or even in the online services such as Monster, Jobs, or Craigslist. Many employers these days are going on recommendations and referrals from current employees, because it has the benefits of:

1. Current employee gets a small bonus if their referral gets hired; the money spent on ads or agencies goes to employees who appreciate it much more. Sometimes the bonus is paid after the newbie completes the first 3 months, which leads to #2 below.

2. An employee to makes a successful referral often feels a bit responsible for the successful employment of the newbie, plus they are usually friends. This means the current employee will dedicate time to helping the newbie, both on the clock and after work. Better training, more support.

3. Employees who make referrals know the habits of their friends, and now there is a bonus if the placement lasts. The employees are therefore unlikely to refer someone who is a flake about showing up or getting along, which means those referred are already a better class of worker. Of course the employer has to keep in mind who's doing the referral.

4. Getting referrals means an employer doesn't have to wade through tons of applications and resumes. Less time wasted.

Those who are looking for work should dedicate a significant portion of their time networking - contact everyone you know, ask them about their workplace, ask for referrals, etc. Linked In and Facebook and other social sites should be used to check out if anyone you know, or their friends, work at a place to which you want to apply. That means if you do hear about a job at a company, check around to see if anyone you know, or their linked friends have any contacts at that company. Then start asking for help with turning in your resume.

Just submitting resumes by mail or email is really not the way to go anymore. Applicants need a helping hand from someone on the inside.

Those of you with jobs should consider asking your employers about referral policies, and see if they are willing to give bonuses (if they don't already).
Excellent advice.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
For those that are considering a move to the Big Island without ample funds, this is how bad things are:

http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2010/06/30/local_news/local02.txt (broken link)
I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect to move anywhere and get a job with the economy the way it is.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

I know a lot of folks who aren't getting unemployment benefits, are unemployed, looking for work and not finding any. They would be willing to do just about anything but they aren't finding anything at all. They aren't included in the "unemployment numbers" either so I suspect the actual amount of unemployment is much higher than the posted numbers.
They track that number too, it's approximately 17% of the country (compared to the 9.x% unemployment). They claim to count unemployed and underemployed/PTseeking FT, but I'm not sure what their methodology is for counting these folks.

A number over 20% unemployed/underemployed would not surprise me.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,615,328 times
This is not out-of-line with the rest of the country (interactive map by county as of January 2010): Food Stamp Usage Across the Country - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com

And the rest of the NYTimes article about food stamps usage (from January 2, 2010): http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/03/us/03foodstamps.html

What is "different" is that it's six months past and Hawai'i is changing its formula. What is sad, is that more mainland people are thinking Hawai'i is a viable alternative to joblessness there. Not so, at least according to our business-owning friends in West Maui.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 6,622,394 times
You wouldn't believe the number of people who post here that are on assistance or disability and are asking about the welfare system here and wanting to move to Hawaii. What ever happened to personal responsibility, pride and integrity?

Old 07-08-2010, 12:32 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,951,756 times
How is a person with a disability irresponsible? If someone is getting a military disabilty check or on SSI and they wish to move, who cares?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii