Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:05 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Polls show that the majority of people in Hawaii did not want this to become law.

Let's face it, someone was going to be pissed off, no matter what she decided.
yes, like most things someone would be unhappy.
I can see where religious people would be upset about allowing gay "marriage" we are a very religious state as far as that goes but this was not marriage but "civil" unions. our state has no told gay people not only don't we want you having the same rights as everyone else and you can't marry, we even don't want you to have the rights to a non religious civil union, that allows you the rights of a "spouse" in case of medical emergencies and right to inherit.

not sure what or why taxes would go up because civil union passed. I can only imagine revenue going up. what taxes do you think would be levied?

Old 07-10-2010, 01:10 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,014,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes, like most things someone would be unhappy.
I can see where religious people would be upset about allowing gay "marriage" we are a very religious state as far as that goes but this was not marriage but "civil" unions. our state has no told gay people not only don't we want you having the same rights as everyone else and you can't marry, we even don't want you to have the rights to a non religious civil union, that allows you the rights of a "spouse" in case of medical emergencies and right to inherit.

not sure what or why taxes would go up because civil union passed. I can only imagine revenue going up. what taxes do you think would be levied?
I never read the law but I was wondering if the new couples would have been afforded deductions on filing taxes like current married couples, also medical benefits for state/county workers. I don't know the answer and was wondering if someone else had read further into it.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,359,591 times
Sometimes laws are vetoed because they contain provisions that aren't relevant to the "name" on the bill. You also have to remember, she tossed this back to the Legislature, who COULD have overridden her veto. But they didn't. So this isn't just Lingle that thought the content of the bill wasn't in the best interests of Hawaii... apparently the Legislature (about 90% Democrat) didn't think it was either. Rest assured, a new and revised bill on this topic will be introduced. It's a long time conversation, not a one-time issue.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:12 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,446,458 times
Linda Lingle is the worst....need you be reminded of the superferry?? Thank goodness she'll be out soon...

Old 07-10-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
Linda Lingle is the worst....need you be reminded of the superferry?? Thank goodness she'll be out soon...
Hawaii politics are the worst, unless you're a union employee.

Do you really think things will be better with both a democrat govenor and legislature running things? I guess we'll see next year...

Old 07-10-2010, 01:45 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,455,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Hawaii politics are the worst, unless you're a union employee.

Do you really think things will be better with both a democrat govenor and legislature running things? I guess we'll see next year...
Right on.

If it wasn't for Lingle putting the brakes on the Democratic controlled puppet legislature, there would be all sorts of additional taxes, fees, regulations and other male bovine excrement to put up with.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:54 PM

18,325 posts, read 18,903,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Right on.

If it wasn't for Lingle putting the brakes on the Democratic controlled puppet legislature, there would be all sorts of additional taxes, fees, regulations and other male bovine excrement to put up with.

lol md, tell us how you really feel.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Right on.

There you go sugar coating it again, lol.

PS: I agree 110%

Old 07-10-2010, 03:10 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,483,638 times
Quote:
Right on.

Oh, like the Republicans aren't puppets too. As far as I'm concerned, both parties are equally corrupt. Democrats are not going to save Hawaii and America, and neither are the Republicans. I don't toe the line and drink the kool-aid of either party.

As for Lingle's veto, government has no business in deciding who you can shack-up with. There shouldn't even be any controversy about marriage, civil unions and etc. Love the one you're with, enjoy your life and be happy.

Old 07-10-2010, 05:18 PM

1,689 posts, read 4,285,489 times
Lingle admitting that she was unaware that first cousins can marry in Hawaii (and 17 or 18 others states) was a tad embarrassing. These laws were passed pre-genetic screening days and it's been proven that only 1 to 3% of offspring of married first cousins will have any genetic trouble.

Bach, Braun, Einstein, H.G.Wells and many other famous people have married their first cousins.

Anyway; this post would have fared better for debate and insight if it was in the politics section. Hawaii is a blue state and one of the biggest nanny states of them all. So it is interesting that the same sex marriage gets shot down constantly.

Allowing civil unions (which I have read it and it allows for the same benefits that regular married people are afforded from what I can read) could be a potential boon to the state.

Since the civil unions are only recognized in the state they are performed unless the people stay here they wouldn't be able to take advantage of the benefits of the union. Perhaps "someone" should bring forth an amendment to the civil unions that recognizes them in any state that performs them (it only makes sense).

Lingle's doing all she can. Everyone wants something but many don't realize that the money is gone. Many of the 48% who pay taxes are getting tired of taking care of everyone else. More programs come down the pike and taxes go up; moral is low, and there is no great knight to save us.

Let me give you one example of the extreme expenditure and waste that goes on. I work in health care and when someone is disabled and a wheelchair is ordered the person no matter the insurance will have to have their insurance company rent the wheelchair from a medical supply store. OK; but what's happening is the wheelchair (which brand new is around $250) is delivered and the patient pays a copay (unless their on medicaid). Now we are talking about a standard manual; nothing fancy. The companies are going by medicare guidelines now (all insurance companies must) so the wheelchair is delivered and the copay is $22 a month for 13 months and then the patient owns the chair if they keep it that long.

The medical store company is charging the health insurance around $224 a month. Let's see that's 13 payments from the patient and 13 payments from the health insurance making the cost of the wheelchair around $3,098. Now remember the chair is only about $250 brand new.

I'm no math wizz but it looks like something is very wrong here. This also happens with the hospital beds, trapezes any durable medical equipment (DME).

So while we demonize the health insurance companies we should be looking at what all these agencies are charging them for items of care. You see it isn't going to be easy to bring our state budget within sustainable limits but we can all start by looking at things we know are a great waste and bring notice to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii