Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 08:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,489 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone - I'm new to these forums.
I grew up on Oahu when I was little. When I was 9, my mom, brother and I moved to Massachusetts, because that's where most of our family lives and my mom wanted to be closer to family.

It's a very long story, but finding out more of myself and who I am, I don't want to be here. I'm now 20, working, and trying to save up to move back to Hawai'i. I'm not a fan of society in general and very into nature, and have explored many places before looking back at Hawai'i - that is, I'm not going back because I have some idealistic picture of Hawai'i being perfect. I actually have read a little on Moloka'i on a few websites, and it appeals to me very much. Tourism isn't my thing. Growing and catching your own food, living in nature ... I'm aware living costs are probably high in the summer, but I'm thinking, maybe they go down in the winter? I don't want a big house anyway ... something just to put stuff, to sleep, to be in sometimes. And I don't know how to fish or grow foods, so I know I'd have to learn.

Again, I don't have some idea that everything would be perfect and I can move out there right now and there wouldn't be any problems. I'm also aware I've only read a few websites, and that I need more information, but it's hard to find. I'm hoping some people here might know something. I'm also wondering if people on the island would be willing to help someone learn to fend for their own food and such as I would like to. One more thing I've been thinking is about jobs, because of the unemployment rate on Moloka'i being so high. Writing is what I'm really passionate about, and I doubt there's a market for that in Moloka'i. What is there a market for? Given rent is expensive, I'd need to pay that, but not sure how much else I'd need, because there isn't a lot I want. I'm not a fan of material things. Every "hippie" says that, but really ... I mean what I write here, and I spend so much time exploring my own mind that I know what I need to be happy in the world.

I apologize if this is very much longer than most posts. Any feedback would be quite appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,047,428 times
there really are no jobs on molokai, the main part of town is really a bakery, post office gas station and small food store. if this is a life you would like I would save as much money as possible, try to learn to hunt and fish where you are at now and come spend a few months here when you have enough money to last, while you see if you really like it.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:18 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
Your ideas of life and survival on Molokai or anywhere in Hawaii aren't realistic at all, sorry.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:30 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,461,111 times
I would say try Kauai. You would need to get a job regardless of where you live to support yourself as writing isn't going to pay the bills. Prices do not go down for winter- your rent is what you pay year rent and food doesn't magically reduce its price for half the year. Molokai really doesn't have much opportunity, especially for an outsider. Kauai is the perfect blend between peaceful tranquil living and opportunity.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:21 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Try looking at "WWOOF"ing. Willing Workers On Organic Farms I think are what the letters stand for. Anyway, they provide a place to sleep and one meal a day in exchange for several hours work on the farm. What sort of accommodations are provided and what sort of meal as well as how many hours exchanged changes depending on who you WWOOF for, so check their website and see if any of them look like they'd be a good fit. If you are going to live off the land, you'd better learn to farm or garden.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:34 AM

53 posts, read 135,682 times
Also you need to start learning how to plant and fish now. You may not even like these things. If you have any kind of yard get out there and dig it up and plant some vegetables while it is still warm out. Do some research (if you go to a good garden center that sells seedlings they will give you tons of free advice). If you don't have any yard to do this at least get some pots and start growing whatever you can grow from there, tomatoes for instance.

Become the person you picture yourself being in Hawaii today, in Massachusetts.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,406,877 times
After you graduate from college, revisit this idea. First, give yourself the best gift of all - a broad education and lots of exposure to lots of things. Save your money and maybe spend summers or vacation breaks on the islands as you go along.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii