Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 PM

68 posts, read 206,076 times

Advertisements

Why is there such a strong desire to require labels or to speak English only?

Preserving cultures through the use of language is a beautiful thing. Programs such as Hawaiian Language Immersion are a beautiful thing and I hope other cultures adopt similar programs in every state on the mainland. The diverse cultures of Hawaii should be the reason people are drawn here, and not something they are wishing would go away.

Caucasian can be used in the same derogatory way as Haole is sometimes used. All that's different is the word, not the meaning.

Last edited by orangebird2020; 08-19-2010 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:06 PM

820 posts, read 3,036,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
at least change "kill haole day" to "kill Caucasian day" haha
You know, that is such an old old term, and situation. Most people who recall this are of my generation, and this isn't the widespread thing it maybe was. Really, you are speaking of things that you have read about, or heard about, not what is going on today.

My neighbor is a 9 year old, blonde, light eyed girl. She has NEVER had anyone speak to her about Kill the Haole day.

Jerks come in all ages, and older ones might be teaching the younger ones, but please don't pull out old history as today's fact. That's like someone pulling out racially designated toilets.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM

5 posts, read 11,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
You know, that is such an old old term, and situation. Most people who recall this are of my generation, and this isn't the widespread thing it maybe was. Really, you are speaking of things that you have read about, or heard about, not what is going on today.

My neighbor is a 9 year old, blonde, light eyed girl. She has NEVER had anyone speak to her about Kill the Haole day.

Jerks come in all ages, and older ones might be teaching the younger ones, but please don't pull out old history as today's fact. That's like someone pulling out racially designated toilets.
ok, keep downplaying the severity of racism in HI. Keep reassuring me that it is not a problem when I was warned over 15 times PRIOR to moving here that I had better not be white and alone on the wrong beach. People are rude to me because I LOOK like a jerk (which has nothing to do with the color of my skin?) yeah, right.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:12 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb83201 View Post
I don't want to euphemize the "haole." I want to utilize existing english words for race. CIA factbook does acknowledge Hawaiian as a state-recognized language. But, go to the HI craigslist "rants and raves." There you will see the hate that exists, and the derogatory use of "haole." This is just one unregulated and anonymous place where hate flows, but it shows you that the hate exists. And haole is the choice word for haters.
Before reaching conclusions about the use of the term "haole", it might be beneficial to read Judy L. Rohrer's Ph.D. dissertation, entitled "Haole Matters: An Interrogation of Whiteness in Hawai'i." Here's a link...

http://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu...phd_4639_r.pdf

Old 08-19-2010, 06:16 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
When I was growing up (and I graduated HS in '83) it was "beat the Haole day"; which really just meant that almost EVERONE in my school took the day off since the school was predominately WHITE; we also has Dec. 7 as Slap the J*p day (which I have starred since that term has been universally recognized as impolite) when the Japanese kids (the other half of the school) took the day off!

We do not all speak pigeon (I would sound JOJ) and for many of us it is hard to see Haoles as a minority when they were clearly the majority on parts of the Island (Oahu). I AM fiercely proud of being Native Hawaiian, just as I am proud of being from Hawaii. I feel sorry for people who try to distance themselves from their heritage; just because one is proud of being Hawaiian does not preclude pride in being American - but the best part is that we have not abandoned one in order to be the other.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoya View Post
ok, keep downplaying the severity of racism in HI. Keep reassuring me that it is not a problem when I was warned over 15 times PRIOR to moving here that I had better not be white and alone on the wrong beach. People are rude to me because I LOOK like a jerk (which has nothing to do with the color of my skin?)
No, sorry, I don't mean to say that there isn't racism here. Not at all. I'm saying there isn't a kill the haole day TODAY in schools, as people often like to state. I think that when we want to deal with a problem, like racism here, it's really really REALLY important to deal with it realistically, and not make it more dramatic or out of proportion.

Yes, absolutely there is racism, and some of it is directed at light skinned people. There are areas where it exists more so, and while this is NOT an excuse, it is not uncommon to any state...there are going to be areas that are more of a problem than others.

It is my opinion that the dire warnings we receive about many situations are kind of like what you hear on the news...people like to highlight the negative past instead of working on what they can do to positively influence the future. The former may be what feels good at the moment, because the drama makes someone sound knowledgeable, and the latter may be more work, but it's worthwhile.

I totally believe you that people have been a jerk to you, and likely some of them did so because of your race. But do you think those same people are really nice to everyone not of your race? No, they go home and are equally stupid to other people for another reason.

Let's try to deal with the real problems, together, instead of dividing up even more. To have someone say "You Hawaii people are racists because some of you are racist jerks", gosh, isn't that kind of lumping everyone together just like the accused racist just did?

Old 08-19-2010, 06:20 PM

373 posts, read 1,171,180 times
Quote:
ok, keep downplaying the severity of racism in HI. Keep reassuring me that it is not a problem when I was warned over 15 times PRIOR to moving here that I had better not be white and alone on the wrong beach. People are rude to me because I LOOK like a jerk (which has nothing to do with the color of my skin?) yeah, right.
No place in the world is immune to racism or bigotry. Some places are just more racist and bigotted than others. Yes, it's true people in Hawaii can be quite racist and bigotted at times. You just have to lead by setting a good example and let the chips fall where they may. People are going to be who they are, and you can't expect to change everyone's worldview to match your own. If you find that people in Hawaii are too racist and bigotted for you comfort level, then I suggest moving to a place where people are less racist and bigotted for your comfort level or just ignoring the racists and bigots. Of course you could try to make people less racist and bigotted, but that would be an extreme uphill battle.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:26 PM

One thing I'd like to point out that when people come on this site and ask questions about moving here, where they should live, how they can make it... the people from here are not the ones who bring up race. You don't see someone asking, "are you Caucasian? Then don't move to this town." People on this board are very helpful and go out of their way to help someone figure out if they can/should/will move.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
everyone has their own experience here and not everyone is treated badly because they are not local. to say the problem is severe, makes it sound like it happens everywhere and it doesn't. there are areas on the mainland you shouldn't be after dark, why would you expect more in the islands?
you should move to a different neighborhood if you feel uncomfortable where you live.
there are parts of maui that you rarely see a local person unless they are working, maybe you would feel better there, as I mentioned the islands have assimilated so much that on certain beaches you could be on the beach at half moon bay ca.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM

72 posts, read 346,809 times
I am a haole and I don't really care what you call me. I am a flight attendant and I have been called way worse. Usually, I am Oh Miss, Hey Lady, sometimes I just get a jab in the ribs or fingers snapped at me. The point is that it depends on your attitude as much as the tone of the person saying it. I have not lived here long but I have never had anyone be rude to me...except for this haole teenager, who repeatedly tries to run me over with her truck when I am out for a run. She apparently does not like to share the road with pedestrians. Call me what you want but if you try to kill me then I get mad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii