Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 AM

5 posts, read 6,816 times

Advertisements

Hello from a new member!

We are considering moving to Hawaii but I am having difficulty working out from the volume of information that is out there just how possible this might be for us.

We are from the U.K. I would regard myself as well qualified and experienced as a Software Developer/Architect and my partner similarly in HR.

The problem we have is in working out how likely it would be that an employer would be prepared to take us on in Hawaii and thus give us a route to a green card. There seem to be quite a lot of Software Vacancies but many suitable for my skills require you to be a citizen to get Security Cleared.

Would anyone be able to offer an opinion as to how likely we would be to be able to find work and hence a sponsor in these fields?

Many thanks in advance,

Athletics Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:37 AM

129 posts, read 535,490 times
If you are a standout in your field, I would start with the yellow pages, and start asking around, or sending out CVs. Check out the colleges as well, as I know they were looking for adjunct profs.
My partner is an Architect/Engineer, and has been offered a few jobs through contacts in HI, though he's not looking to be employed at the moment, so work is there.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,816 times
Thank you for the reply. I guess we can both see there are jobs available in our field but are wondering if there is enough of a skills shortage that a company would sponsor us for a green card?

Old 09-18-2010, 09:19 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athletics_jim View Post
Thank you for the reply. I guess we can both see there are jobs available in our field but are wondering if there is enough of a skills shortage that a company would sponsor us for a green card?
Most of the jobs you are interested in would be somehow military-related and require the security clearances, whether the government hires you or a contractor does.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:33 AM

44 posts, read 110,428 times
I live in Hawaii and work out of my house remotely for a company in the midwest The one thing I'd warn is that software engineer salaries seem 10-20% lower out here than on the mainland. And I'm not talking California or New York salaries.

I've seen Senior Architect type positions out here and they're offering 100-110K. If I took a local job comparable to what I'm doing, I'd definitely take a $15K or greater cut in pay.

Not sure of green card rules, but personally I'd try to find a job with a mainland company that would allow you to work remotely out here. No commute and higher salary.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 AM

42 posts, read 103,357 times
It is still possible to get someone to sponsor for Green Cards, we are currently going thru the process at the moment. However, something you have to realise is the employer is required to advertise the position for 60 days and prove that no local has applied for the job that is suitably qualified. In an area such as Hawaii it may be more of a struggle to prove this due to higher unemployment.

Your best option may be to do what we are doing, my DH is working for a megacorp in California to do the Green Card process. Once we have our Green Cards then we will move to Hawaii.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Not all the jobs you see advertised are available. many defense and goverment contractors have good amount of turnover. people come for the job but find the work extensive and the paradise they thought they would get is not reality of living there. Many still have family backon the mainland and they get homesick. The companies, militray and all may jeep some jobs posted just to have a number of applications on hand in case they need it.

Other jobs are hired from the mainland company using people from the mainland or transfereing employees they already have. They put the ads in the paper to meet any needs for trying to hire from local community. Most contracts require you try and hire locally but there is little or no check to see if you really tried. A airport repair contract recently hired 18 people, not one from Hawaii. They were hired and relocation started, and some had already arrived on Hawaii before the ad even first printed in the local newspaper. The resumes from the ad probably were tossed without even being open.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
Other jobs are hired from the mainland company using people from the mainland or transfereing employees they already have. They put the ads in the paper to meet any needs for trying to hire from local community. Most contracts require you try and hire locally but there is little or no check to see if you really tried. A airport repair contract recently hired 18 people, not one from Hawaii. They were hired and relocation started, and some had already arrived on Hawaii before the ad even first printed in the local newspaper. The resumes from the ad probably were tossed without even being open.
Getting approved by US Immigration for a Green Card is probably a more complex situation than what you describe. INS is a very difficult agency to deal with, and full documentation has to be submitted to even get any type of approval. The situation you mentioned above would not be tolerated by INS. Also when I talk about locals being able to fill the position, I am talking about any US citizen.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,680,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToulaHawaiiBound View Post
Getting approved by US Immigration for a Green Card is probably a more complex situation than what you describe. INS is a very difficult agency to deal with, and full documentation has to be submitted to even get any type of approval. The situation you mentioned above would not be tolerated by INS. Also when I talk about locals being able to fill the position, I am talking about any US citizen.
Opps, I guess i came off wrong.
I'm refereing to why jobs being advertised is not a good read on true available employment and need on Hawaii. I wouldn't suggest anyone move to Hawaii thinking those advertised jobs may lead to a green card.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM

You are so right about advertised jobs not actually being available. I think that is a worldwide practice, many agencies advertise jobs that either do not exist or have been filled to either get more candidates on their books or make it appear as if they have more clients than they actually do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii