Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:53 AM

3 posts, read 7,349 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Looking for a guiding hand on helping me pick out a place to relocate.

I am scheduling a trip to these islands in the coming months, but was hoping for some "before hand" information so I can scout things out.

What I am looking for, beyond all else is to not have to live in a community, complex, or whatever. I guess my ideal living situation would be 2-3 acres of land with my house in the middle. I dont care about views or being near the ocean but I want to be in a thick tropical/garden landscape where I cant see my neighbors house from my windows.

I am self employed via the internet, so finding a job is not a issue. I do have a kid, so access to a decent school would be nice as well as low crime / etc..

Aside from that, I would like to be within a 20 minute drive of a walmart/bestbuy/supermarket/etc..

My ideal choice would be to live on oahu, about 20-30 minutes away from honolulu, but I am not sure which areas I should be looking in to find my desired type of house/land (secluded)

The climate I would prefer would be 'tropical'

Here are 2 quick areas which look decent that I quickly found on craigslist:

honolulu.craigslist.org/big/reo/1938612173.html
hawaiianrealty.com/Listing/ViewListingPhotos.aspx?ListingID=15660629

The first one looks a little rural, but it shows that you cant see the neighbors from the house

Dont get me wrong, I dont want to be on a farm or anything. Even 1.5 acres might be enough if the vegetation is thick enough.

Anyways- Could you guys recommend the best areas for me to check out when I go down to the islands? Right now I know hilo looks like a good match, but can I find anything like this on oahu (and if so, what areas?)

Thanks in advance guys.

-Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,836,109 times
How rich are you?

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM

3 posts, read 7,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
How rich are you?
Ha, good question.

I am looking to spend between 800k and 1.2 million

-Dan

Old 09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

44 posts, read 109,993 times
If I was looking for what you listed I'd either look at Waimea on the Big Island or south of Kailua Kona by Captain Cook on the Big Island.

If money isn't an issue, Waimea has a very good private school - Hawaii Prepatory Academy.

Waimea is a little more remote and you might have to make 1 hour trips to Kailua Kona to get to Walmart, Costco, etc. You will get 5X the house/land for your money there compared to anyplace on Oahu. And personally I think the Waimea, entire north coast of the Big Island is just unbelievably beautiful.

Captain Cook is another area that you can get acres of land a nice house for a decent price. School might be an issue down there.

If you go to the Big Island, just drive around the entire thing and check out each area. Personally I don't think you'll find what you want on Oahu at the price range you're saying. Maui - just haven't been there enough to give any advice.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,602,397 times
You really need to see it for yourself. The three islands you mention are different and have different things to offer. You listed a few things but if that's all that matters? Are you concerned about crime, are you concerned about roadways and access to property? Are you concerned about having water or electricity available? Are you looking for rugged backwoods poop in a hole or log cabin in the woods with hot running waters and internet? There are hundred of things and since each island may be better in one area but worse in another, you need to give more info. What if there was a nice 5 acre area within 20 minutes to walmart, with high speed internet, electricity and water, but your closest neighbor to the rear is the H3? Or the neighborhood is remote and secluded because the meth labs keep visitors out?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

369 posts, read 772,019 times
You could try and find a place in Haiku on Maui. Schools are pretty good and town is about 30-40 minutes away (depending on where you live). There are areas with pretty thick vegetation and the crime isn't much of a problem.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM

17 posts, read 56,472 times
If you are in the internet biz I would not move to the south part of the big Island, like Puna and all parts west. They have no internet to speak of. And what they do have is very slow.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,879,273 times
I agree with "Slick828" about Haiku, but also the Makawao/Olinda area and Kula areas upcountry. All are near Seabury Hall, probably the best school on Maui, and not far from Kahului (for WalMart and supermarkets -- no Best Buy on Maui, sorry).

When you say "tropical," there's plenty of that, but mostly in two variations: naturalized (tending toward the scrubby and tangled) and the more intentional kinds of plantings that people idealize for Pacific Islands. (But most were brought from elsewhere.) The latter is quite an investment in plants, maintenance, and time. Not to mention water, which is a contentious issue in some places. There are also a number of fair-sized lots (some with houses already built) that are zoned agricultural, and owners must agree to grow something (trees, flowers, fruit, etc.) in order to qualify to buy.

Lots of choices if you're ready to move soon. Best of luck.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:49 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,567,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSage View Post
If you are in the internet biz I would not move to the south part of the big Island, like Puna and all parts west. They have no internet to speak of. And what they do have is very slow.
I've had DSL for a couple of years now here in Pahoa, Puna. Still no cell service in my neighborhood, though.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,283,318 times
I love Waimea and think you should definitely consider this part of the Big Island, but it is important to note that finding a secluded 1-2 acre property might require some patience. I checked the MLS for North and South Kohala properties: there are currently 36 residential listings on 1 to 2 acres (42 if I change the search to 1 to 3 acres).

Only a few of those properties would be what I would consider secluded in the same way you can find secluded homes in some East Hawaii subdivisions where the more lush "rainforest" grows fast and thick. Still, Waimea is a great small town, with access to everything you need from day-to-day supplemented here and there with a big-box run to Kona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii