Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:40 PM

131 posts, read 441,256 times

Advertisements

Can someone, anyone, explain to me why this Hawaii forum, about what most people consider an island paradise, contains the most dialogue on flat out misery.

You can't dance around my question people, since it's all on the internet forever and instantly verifiable. There is no other forum on this site that contains more threads on whining, moaning, groaning, miserably unhappy about anything, everything and anybody when it comes to any of the Hawaiian Islands.

I believe the answer is most of you are stuck in a very small area and cannot leave for a variety of reasons. You're locked in to a way of life that you may not have anticipated and are now frustrated because you have no control over it.

No "Pollyanna's" or "The Irish Dancers" please. As I said above, your mass unhappiness is a matter of record! You can ignore this question but in doing so, I believe you have validated my conclusion.

Now that I think about it, what an appropriate idiom: "sticking your head in the sand"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 10:03 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,108,887 times
I suspect the reason most folks here have to detail all the misery and real world scenarios that exist here is to offset the propaganda of the Hawaii Visitors Bureau. Folks really, really WANT to move over here and live on a pristine white sand beach with hula girls (or boys) bringing rum drinks AND they want the whole thing affordable by a part time job working at a five star hotel who is just yearning to hire the OP as soon as they set foot on the island. Well, not really, the OP is hoping to land the job before leaving the mainland.

Hawaii is a wonderful place, but we are dealing with some folks who have completely unrealistic desires. How should we go about trying to explain that they don't have realistic expectations?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:25 PM

3,198 posts, read 13,424,397 times
Those of us that are happy (except for some of us that just like to help others and "chime in" for no apparent reason ) usually don't post a lot! I think happy, busy folks that aren't necessarily into the internet, or not online a lot already because of their work, don't seek out forums to post about how happy they are.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 21,155 times
No news is good news.

Happy people don't post.

Also... I've never lived somewhere that expectations are so HIGH when moving here. Hawaii can't help but fail to live up to the hype.

That said... If we had IKEA and Trader Joes it would truely be paradise. =P~

Old 10-16-2010, 11:47 PM

229 posts, read 930,975 times
Irish Dancers?

Old 10-17-2010, 03:07 AM

70 posts, read 288,287 times
hi

what a great question

my take is

the smoke is so gooooood it blinds you to ...r e a l i t y

x percent of the entire poopulation move all the time and they need to blame sumthunk

some people want a free ride ....lol lol lol lmfao

i just came home from a 4 star foodie joint i didnt see one unhappy person ..

the question begs what age group are you

the question begs ...why do you think like this

do you really thunk you can ship your here free

hawaii like every other state costs money '

m o n e y

without it people tend to be pissey

personally having a bad day is not on my menu

great question ///

xstonedrocker

Old 10-17-2010, 09:00 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,608,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
Can someone, anyone, explain to me why this Hawaii forum, about what most people consider an island paradise, contains the most dialogue on flat out misery.

You can't dance around my question people, since it's all on the internet forever and instantly verifiable. There is no other forum on this site that contains more threads on whining, moaning, groaning, miserably unhappy about anything, everything and anybody when it comes to any of the Hawaiian Islands.

I believe the answer is most of you are stuck in a very small area and cannot leave for a variety of reasons. You're locked in to a way of life that you may not have anticipated and are now frustrated because you have no control over it.

No "Pollyanna's" or "The Irish Dancers" please. As I said above, your mass unhappiness is a matter of record! You can ignore this question but in doing so, I believe you have validated my conclusion.

Now that I think about it, what an appropriate idiom: "sticking your head in the sand"!
I disagree with the premise of your post.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,711,188 times
As we've said over, and over, and over again Sedona, we are NOT being unhappy, miserable, or whatever you think it is. We are trying to be realistic to let people know that living in paradise is not the same as visiting for a week or two and "falling in love". You can take that however you like, but that's your problem. If those of us who have made the move are trying to give help to those asking for advise, then don't get mad at us.

By the way, we are extremely happy here. We did lots and lots of research and lots of lots of visiting for weeks at a time before moving over. But nothing can prepare you for living here. It is like nowhere on the mainland.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,537,930 times
Yes, it is a beautiful place with friendly people. It isn't paradise. There are some harsh realities to living here and if you aren't made aware of them, you will have serious issues after you get here.
The costs of housing and food, along with the high taxes and fees, combined with the lack of good paying jobs can be a very serious problem to those that are not aware of them.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 AM

70 posts, read 288,287 times
hi

just come without any research

and live here

thats a great answer

dont bring cash

just bring a great credit card ...

xstonedrocker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii