Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:01 AM

820 posts, read 3,041,138 times

Advertisements

Someone mentioned that Maui's Rainbow Attic is a bit expensive. Maybe, if you are comparing to mainland prices for thrift/resale places. But maybe not, comparing to general Hawaii prices. And the nice thing about Rainbow Attic is that they are particular about what they take, so you'll find items in good shape, without tears or stains. Not always true for other resale places.

I'm on the mainland, and went to a resale store because I needed a long sleeve shirt. Found an REI shirt for $5, a great deal! Rainbow Attic has a lot of items for $8, but then remember that RA is kicking back half the sale to whoever brought in the item. So RA only made $4 on that shirt.

One good way to help offset the price of buying from RA is to take some of your unused items in for them to sell. Why sit all day at your own garage sale, wasting valuable chore or beach time, arguing with people who want to pay 25 cents for your coffee maker, when you can take it to RA and maybe get some more money for it? Just know that if your items don't sell within a certain number of days they go to the Half Off section, then to the Salvation Army. You can either come in and find & reclaim the marked-down items, or just let them go. We figure that if 25-30% of our items never get sold, they go to Salvation Army, we should be allowed that deduction, and we take that on our taxes. Again, we figure the same thing would happen with a garage sale.

I do agree that furniture is not cheap at RA. For furniture, we look first to garage sales, but we have bought at RA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 04:44 PM

209 posts, read 723,092 times
Just curious how the OP is doing with there move to Maui. It doesn't look like that OP has posted in awhile. Anybody know?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,311,443 times
Hi, I'm the OP! haha

Gosh should I update here or in my other like 3 threads?

What should I say?
We've lived here for about 8 months. Still lovin it! Wow, people REALLY come and go here. I've been at my job for 7 months and I've been there longer than anyone else! crazy! I love my job, which is great. I'm still in the same tiny apartment but the roaches are like once every few months and it's always one coming in from outside (our door opens into the garage which the big garage door is always open.) so its not a big deal. I went to Oahu for work for the Made in Hawaii festival which was a really cool trip I also made the first trip back "home" to Illinois last month. Um I don't really know what else to say.. We don't really have any real friends.. that kinda sucks. But my husband and I are like best friends so I think that's why we're doing ok. Well that and facebook. haha We figured it'd be really hard for us to find friends because we're just kinda weird and abrasive but don't drink or smoke. but yeah I dont know what else to say.. We are thankful all the time that we live here it is so so so beautiful! We're still discovering awesome places

Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,463,551 times
What part of Maui are you living in?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:23 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,463,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Part of the reason I think I scored so well in Austin is that many high tech businesses have long observed "Hawaiian Shirt Friday," and blue jeans plus cowboy boots plus an Aloha shirt is a popular look there. Plus there's always been an interesting kinship between Texas and Hawai'i, going way back.
In the song *********, We're From Texas, Ray Wylie Hubbard says "I got on my cowboy boots, jeans, and a Hawaiian shirt"

Ray Wylie Hubbard "*********, We're From Texas" - YouTube

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,311,443 times
We live in Kahului. We both work in Kihei. Everyone asks us if we're going to move to Kihei because it's so "fun" and closer to work. No we are not moving to Kihei. It's not our scene at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii