Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,192,992 times

Advertisements

I too tried to follow blog but it jumped all around. Glad you got what you wanted out of it. Again it is funny the opposites seen. I live in Puna - don't smoke pot not a hippie... basically come from Redneck background but changed to the Hawaii experience of acceptance even if don't smoke or do yoga and like to eat meat. I do find many things and people with dreadlocks, pot, hippie (you know it is where they reitire- heavens waiting room for hippies in Hawaii) and don't have the same experience as you discribe. I have friends that hire wwoofers and have many repeat year after year. Good job on what you have done for yourself but others staying here longer than you did will have different experiences than you project. "All good"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't get the dreadlock thing. Your hair doesn't make you spiritual or not spiritual. The reason Rastafarians have dreadlocks is that they don't believe in cutting their hair (like Samson) and they're black, so their hair naturally forms dreads when they don't groom it and keep it clean. The whole phenomenon of white people making their hair dirty with mayonnaise (and who knows what else) to force it to form dreadlocks is just bizarre.
It fits in well with Portland, Oregon though.

It's also conforming to the 'ideal' of what it means to be spiritual in alternative non-mainstream America. It can also mean 'I like a good blunt' too though...lol.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:27 PM

46 posts, read 111,082 times
Admittedly, camping permits hadn't even crossed my mind. I did come across camping permits for Kalalau but read more than once that you'd have to book well in advance. And I was only a few weeks away from leaving. Anyway, again I really do appreciate your civility in responding to me. I know that next time I go out there I want to take a friend or two and do a real camping/hiking trip. I've already talked to a few friends about it, although it won't be for a while.

I do also realize that the hippie label will follow me around. I've been plagued with it for years now. As annoying as it is, I deal. Now that I'll be starting school I'm actually pretty determined to make something of myself. I don't regret anything that's happened and I learned my lesson early on by meeting that homeless man on Kauai.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,295,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAMIs View Post
I do also realize that the hippie label will follow me around. I've been plagued with it for years now. As annoying as it is, I deal. Now that I'll be starting school I'm actually pretty determined to make something of myself. I don't regret anything that's happened and I learned my lesson early on by meeting that homeless man on Kauai.
When I was in my 20s....I had an image like that as well.

On one hand, you can do nothing, and be 'legitimate' cool in appearance. On the other hand, tons of people just discount you as they don't get it.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't get the dreadlock thing. Your hair doesn't make you spiritual or not spiritual. The reason Rastafarians have dreadlocks is that they don't believe in cutting their hair (like Samson) and they're black, so their hair naturally forms dreads when they don't groom it and keep it clean. The whole phenomenon of white people making their hair dirty with mayonnaise (and who knows what else) to force it to form dreadlocks is just bizarre.
I'm actually not white, despite my skin tone. I'm Latino and Black. It's a widespread myth that dreads form from not keeping them clean. On the contrary, dreads form faster when they're kept clean. I wash my hair every other day and I don't use products in it at all because my hair does not require it. There are a lot of resources out there that explain the spiritual aspect of dreading your hair. It goes back thousands of years, even before Rastafarian culture. Whether or not you believe it is completely up to you. Personally, when I use the word spiritual I tend to imply a naturalistic worldview. I don't adhere to any organized religions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I too tried to follow blog but it jumped all around. Glad you got what you wanted out of it. Again it is funny the opposites seen. I live in Puna - don't smoke pot not a hippie... basically come from Redneck background but changed to the Hawaii experience of acceptance even if don't smoke or do yoga and like to eat meat. I do find many things and people with dreadlocks, pot, hippie (you know it is where they reitire- heavens waiting room for hippies in Hawaii) and don't have the same experience as you discribe. I have friends that hire wwoofers and have many repeat year after year. Good job on what you have done for yourself but others staying here longer than you did will have different experiences than you project. "All good"
Admittedly, my blog does jump around. I note this often in my posts. I also don't assume that my experience is the answer for everyone. As you said, it's all good.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
On one hand, you can do nothing, and be 'legitimate' cool in appearance. On the other hand, tons of people just discount you as they don't get it.
HAHA! This is TOOOO true! It's not like I'll have dreads forever anyway. I couldn't imagine it.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:30 PM

217 posts, read 432,281 times
Do you have a link to your blog (I'm sure you posted it and I missed seeing it)? I would love to read it. My personality is very different from yours- I went to do my BA right away, did my MS immediately after, and immersed myself in the working world. While doing this I did though travel as much as possible I would save up my miles and a portion of my pay check each month to try to "live" in different parts of the world in sublets (Argentina, Belgium, Mexico, Scotland, Hilo, and Israel).

I'm glad this topic got bumped after the year (more?) it was made. I myself am very philosophical and into doing what I can to help improve the environment.

Working on a farm and camping isn't for me, but I would love to read about what you got out of your experiences. I considered living and working on a kibbutz in Israel when I lost my job as well as when I graduated high school (not sure about starting college at the time) thinking it would make me a low maintenance person, but I know I wouldn't have lasted beyond a couple of days... I like having a comfortable place to live in, quiet time, not having to take "orders" from someone, and security to know that I have some $$$ in my bank. I am a play it safe person and very conservative with money, but I have the other side where when I'm not at home and work, I become a completely different person.

I just would love it if you could share your blog. I'm moving to Hilo on the 28th for a job I just got and started writing some articles on mine. Haven't shared it on here because I'm sensitive and would get nothing but insults on it .

Old 12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

Hey MMoon17, just search Sea of Derailments on Google and you should see it straight away. I tried linking it on a separate thread but a moderator went and deleted it. The blog is simply my way of working things out in my life. There is no truth in it, only my experience. But I hope it helps you out.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM

217 posts, read 432,281 times
Thanks

Looking forward to reading it.

I enjoyed reading a blog about this family that moved to Hilo for 2 years. I found their experiences a pleasure to read about and got a lot of information to help with my search.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:43 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,042,325 times
What is a Wooofing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii