Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2010, 04:36 PM

4 posts, read 9,508 times

Advertisements

Hi
I have been looking at all of the threads that I can find out about moving to either island.
I will be moving with my three, well four kids by than and my husband.
We have lived in Colorado for the past 17 years and my husband has ran his own plumbing, heating, and solar business. He was also a Finish Carpenter and an auto mechanic. He can pretty much do any type of work. We live near Aspen and are used to things being pricey.
We were going to move to Tonga but the housing market fell out and we will not get as much as we need to start a business over there.
We really like Kauai because it is less busy than Maui.
We do have a friend in Maui who said he could get work since he has so much experience, doesn't drink, smoke and has a great work ethic.
We are not looking to get rich but just a bit slower pace of life and I grew up on the ocean and I miss it like crazy.
We have acquired the "American Dream" with the big house, cars and vacations and found that the day to day quality of life is what is really important.
As far as school goes I already homeschool my kids so that isn't going to be a problem.
We live in a town without a mall and that revolves around being outside.
Thank you for any help.

Last edited by jozmom; 11-16-2010 at 05:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 04:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,231,200 times
I didn't catch your question?

Old 11-16-2010, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,508 times
My question is which island has more job opportunities.
I know the jobs are scarce everywhere but when I looked through craigs list I saw a few on both islands that my husband would more than qualify for.
We know the best way to get a job is to be there.
Our friend that lives on Maui says that Kauai would be right up our alley but I am not sure if he would have as much luck as finding a job on Maui.
When we move we will have a cushion to live on for a bit.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,507,785 times
The bigger the population, the more job opportunities, with Oahu being number 1. The outer islands are really hurting and the current unemployment rate is misleading because all the islands are lumped together and Oahu isn't doing that poorly.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:11 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,624 times
The news said that Maui is recovering faster than Oahu, but as noted on Maui there are still only a fraction of the jobs as on Oahu, in any economy.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,256 times
Not many jobs currently on Kauai. A few more on Maui. And more still on Oahu.

mod cut:

Times are tough. Good luck!

Last edited by scirocco22; 12-31-2010 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii