Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:02 PM

31 posts, read 50,479 times

Advertisements

Trust me on this: KAUAI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:14 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
Kauai for sure. Recently spent 3 weeks and still did not see everything. Nice and enjoyable lots to explore.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM

1,178 posts, read 5,942,072 times
Here's a web site where you can answer a survey about your likes and interests, and it will score your response by island:

Best Hawaiian Island - Choosing an Island for your Hawaii vacation

Old 01-05-2011, 11:41 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,272 times
I think that Kauai and Maui are more similar...Big Island is a lot different from the other islands. I personally didn't like BI at all. I love Kauai (and not just bc I live here!) but it is so gorgeous and lots of things to do, all in a reasonable distance. BI has VNP, which I definitely think is a must see at least once.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM

209 posts, read 722,029 times
Mahalo for all the great ideas. Okay, to narrow this down, my husband and I are really like nice beaches that are swimmable. We also enjoy kayaking and snokeling. Which island offers the better of these things; The BI? or Kauai? This would be during the summer months if that helps . Of course airfares need to go down a bit before any of this takes palce.

Many Mahalos,
Kelly

Old 01-07-2011, 02:15 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,402,451 times
That's a tough choice! The Big Island and Kaua'i are both wonderful and beautiful, and you can do the activities you mention on both islands. The BI, being newer geologically, has fewer sandy beaches, but Hapuna and the other beaches north of Kailua-Kona are very nice. If I had to recommend one island for you, I'd give a slight edge to Kaua'i. It has more swimmable beaches, and because of its small size, it takes less time to see everything. I was there for 7 days, though, and I managed to put 1,000 miles on the rental car. The coastal road doesn't go all the way around the island (they couldn't cross the Alakai Swamp and the Na Pali coast), so I did a lot of back-and-forth driving. My advice would be to go to Kaua'i this time, and go to the BI next time. Both are worth seeing.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
We spend two months in HI each year and with your interests it would appear Kauai would be the better choice for you. The beaches in Kauai cannot compare to the big island. It is important to remember that the big island is still growing and a lot of the land is lava, especially cliffs along the perimeter, which cuts down on the amount of beaches.

I think Kauai has a lot more to offer you than the big island. We spent a few weeks on the big island and never returned. On the other hand, we return to Kauai frequently.

We swam with wild dolphins off of Lanai. I think we left out of Lahaina in Maui. We have also swam with them on the Big Island and in Key West and would say we definitely preferred the Deolphin Quest. Although it is expensive, the proceeds go to educate the HI children regarding marine life and offer them a chance to swim with the dolphins. As others have stated, you need to be a strong swimmer and the experience is not as "one on one" as you would believe.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:12 PM

209 posts, read 722,029 times
Aloha to you all,

You have all given me great advice and for that I thank you. I do believe I would like both the BI and Kauai. However; I think my husband and I may change our itinerary. Unfortuanately, for the first time in 5 years, we may have to pass on Hawaii for our annual vacation. The airfare right now is so very high. So...since we happen to live fairly close to another beautiful place, being The San Juan Islands, we have decided to head up there from Oregon to visit family and book a trip kayaking with Orcas. It looks like an amazing experience, almost as awesome as the experience I had with the Humpback whales on Maui . So..for now thats our plan, it may change again, but I do know one thing, I will miss being in Hawaii this year, It is my happy place . You can't find that same Aloha spirit anywhere else.

Many Mahalos to you all,
Kelly

Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,428,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha to you all,

You have all given me great advice and for that I thank you. I do believe I would like both the BI and Kauai. However; I think my husband and I may change our itinerary. Unfortuanately, for the first time in 5 years, we may have to pass on Hawaii for our annual vacation. The airfare right now is so very high. So...since we happen to live fairly close to another beautiful place, being The San Juan Islands, we have decided to head up there from Oregon to visit family and book a trip kayaking with Orcas. It looks like an amazing experience, almost as awesome as the experience I had with the Humpback whales on Maui . So..for now thats our plan, it may change again, but I do know one thing, I will miss being in Hawaii this year, It is my happy place . You can't find that same Aloha spirit anywhere else.

Many Mahalos to you all,
Kelly
When I hear people say they didn't like the BI, I say... you weren't paying attention! There is more variety available on the BI, and more to do than on all the other islands combined. 11 of the world's 13 climate zones are here. It was 0F at the observatory on Mauna Kea last night, and 3 inches of snow fell. Two hours from there you can loll on the beach, go snorkeling, kayaking, go deep sea fishing, whale watching, see stunning waterfalls. Visit coffee plantations, orchid farms, macadamia nut farms, the southernmost winery in the US, the southernmost point in the US, see the largest active volcano on earth, go horseback riding near one of the largest cattle ranches anywhere. The biggest problem with visiting the BI is there is so much to do you can't do it all. The only thing you won't find on the BI is a big city, and come on... why would you come all the way to Hawai'i for that?

Old 01-10-2011, 01:23 PM

312 posts, read 1,374,079 times
honestly, you'll love either from the description of what you gave. you won't go wrong with either! since you have only 7 days, i would do Kauai. You will be able to "see" the whole island (do not mistake that means you can DO everything, but 7 days will let you at least travel back and forth comfortably and see the island while doing your day drips). I lived on the Big Island, and my heart is always with her, but having only seen Maui and with 7 days i would lean towards Kauai.

Since you really can't go wrong with either (i personally feel the only island people can go wrong on is O'ahu because they sucker themselves into not really leaving the city) i would suggest looking at pictures and even skimming through the Hawai'i Revealved blue books at the local store. When you leave, buy the one you felt stronger about. Save the other island for your next trip after this one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii