Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 02:59 PM

209 posts, read 721,961 times

Advertisements

Aloha and Happy New Year!

My husband and I have been going to Maui evey year for about 5 years now. We've been to Molokai once for a change of pace, and thats what we got lol. Don't get me wrong, we actually really liked Molokai and it's wonderful people, but if you arn't familiar with Molokai, you will have to work to figure out where to go and what to do.

Anyways, My husband and I have been wanting to try another island this year. We love, love Maui and will probably always return, but have been thinking of going to the Big Island or Kauai this time. We are just regular working folks, so we are always considering the prices of things. Maui is extremely expensive as far as groceries are concerned. I was wondering how the Big Island is on that sort of thing, and Kauai. Since money is more an issue this year than before, we will only be able to go for a 7 day period this time. My husband and I are outdoors people. The nightlife is not a concern with us, as we are usually out and about during the day, and go to bed at a reasonable time in the evening. Our interests are: Beach,Snorkeling,Kayaking,Hiking,and we thoroughly enjoy the marine life. I myself have always wanted to swim with wild dolphins and I do know the Big Island offers that. Your opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 05:23 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Since I live on the Big Island, I think it's the best for your trip. My suggestion is to stay somewhere outside of the Kona/Kohala area and you will find much cheaper rates. We had a vacation rental in the Kau District (near South Point) that we rented for $100 per night. New three bedroom, two bath house. Only downside is that it's not right on the ocean or a swimable beach. Since you will be doing a lot of driving to see all the island has to offer, you don't have to stay in Kona.

Regarding groceries, everyone stops at Costco right after they leave the airport. Best place to stock up for your entire stay. Eat breakfast and dinner at your vacation rental and pack a lunch. We even provided a small cooler for our guests to use.

Regarding swimming with the dolphins, it is really, really expensive at the Dolphin Quest at the Hilton. I was checking rates recently and I think for one half hour with 18 people in the water it costs something like $200. Even with our kama'aina rate that is way out of our range. You'd do better to do a snorkel cruise to Kealakekua Bay.

Old 12-31-2010, 05:49 PM

Aloha!

Thanks so much for your ideas. Since you live on the Big iIland you are the one that knows best. I'm glad to know there is a Costco there. I know Costco has saved us many of times in Maui. I was thinking it would be great if we could stay part of the time in the Hilo area and then spend the rest of the trip in Kona. As far as the swimming with the dolphins, I would be more into swimming with them in their environment, not in captivity and I believe thats what Dolphin Quest is, they swim with them in captivity. It seems Ive read about places that offer the wild dolphin experiences, but I'm not sure. I will look into this a bit more.

Mahalo for all your good information,
Happy New Year!!
Kelly

Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,032,466 times
Do you or your husband have/had any military affiliation, active, retired, DOD employee or have either of you ever served in the military? I ask because the Army has a nice recreation and lodging facility within Volcano National Park. I'll provide more information if you are eligible.

My son and his girlfriend (28, 25) swam with the wild spinner dolphins with a tour out of Kona last year. He enjoyed it but she didn't. He told me you need to be a strong swimmer to get the benefit of the tour. The dolphins do not stay in the area and the boat keeps jumping ahead of their line of travel. Meaning get in the water quickly, get on the boat quickly (x10) and swim like hell to stay around them. As mentioned he enjoyed it and has some great photos but I would think it depends on one's level of comfort in the water and physical condition.

PS: I live on Kauai and have visited the BI many times; between "Dreaming of Hawaii" and myself we can make recommendations.

Old 12-31-2010, 07:42 PM

I am sorry to say that neither my husband or myself have served in the military. I appreciate you offering information where that is concerned.

My husband is 53 years of age and I would consider him a strong enough swimmer to compete with the dolphins . I myself am a pretty strong swimmer (at least I think I am still). I am 46 years old grew up on the southern California coast and swam on the swim team for many years. However; I am 46 years old now and have lived in Central Oregon since 1987, so with that said, I don't exactly get many chances to swim in the ocean as much as I once did. So one would only guess if I'm able to keep up with the dolphins and or the boat . I sure would like to give it a shot though. I heard it's an awesome experience, if your lucky enough to have a dolphin come near you.

You mentioned you live in Kauai? I have never been there, but it looks gorgeous. You are very lucky. I've been going back and forth on whether we should visit Kauai or The Big Island. It seems The Big Island may be a bit more affordable for us working folks. How are the beaches on The Big Island compared to those on Kauai? I know after being in Maui so many times, Maui does have some gorgeous beaches, but we're ready to try something new.

We would be looking into staying in a condo, most likely in Kona. Would you know of a good condo complex that you would recommend? Or I wouldn't mind staying in Hilo for a few days first and then head in to Kona. What are your thoughts on that? I do know The Big Island is just what it means and that to get to point A to point B takes some driving.

Many mahalos for the great help and information,
Happy New Year!
Kelly

Old 12-31-2010, 07:52 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Default New Hawaii Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
Aloha and Happy New Year!

My husband and I have been going to Maui evey year for about 5 years now. We've been to Molokai once for a change of pace, and thats what we got lol. Don't get me wrong, we actually really liked Molokai and it's wonderful people, but if you arn't familiar with Molokai, you will have to work to figure out where to go and what to do.

Anyways, My husband and I have been wanting to try another island this year. We love, love Maui and will probably always return, but have been thinking of going to the Big Island or Kauai this time. We are just regular working folks, so we are always considering the prices of things. Maui is extremely expensive as far as groceries are concerned. I was wondering how the Big Island is on that sort of thing, and Kauai. Since money is more an issue this year than before, we will only be able to go for a 7 day period this time. My husband and I are outdoors people. The nightlife is not a concern with us, as we are usually out and about during the day, and go to bed at a reasonable time in the evening. Our interests are: Beach,Snorkeling,Kayaking,Hiking,and we thoroughly enjoy the marine life. I myself have always wanted to swim with wild dolphins and I do know the Big Island offers that. Your opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated.

Mahalo,
Kelly
We've never been to Hawaii, but are planning a trip in 2011 (retired; timing is open). At present, we are thinking about flying to Honolulu and taking a 10-day cruise ship from there to 3-4 island ports (spending 1-2 days each). We will probably arrange rental cars at various ports ...

Based on your trips there, can you offer any recommendations or thoughts?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've never been to Hawaii, but are planning a trip in 2011 (retired; timing is open). At present, we are thinking about flying to Honolulu and taking a 10-day cruise ship from there to 3-4 island ports (spending 1-2 days each). We will probably arrange rental cars at various ports ...

Based on your trips there, can you offer any recommendations or thoughts?
I see the NCL ships docked at the port on Kauai and I've heard good things about the cruise. Of course NCL isn't Crystal Cruises so keep that in mind.

I would allow a few days on the front or back end of your vacation to explore Oahu before or after sailing. Unless the cruise already takes that into consideration.

I've seen some cheap bookings through this compay but have never booked with them: Discount Cruises, Last Minute Cruises, Cruise, Cruise Line, Cruise Vacation

Old 12-31-2010, 10:09 PM

It's too bad that you can only stay for 7 days; it's a long way to travel for such a short period of time. I would think that either island will fit the bill for you and it's probably a toss up.

If you do travel to the BI I would recommend staying the majority of time on the Kona side and spend a few nights on the Hilo/Puna side as you mentioned. It's way to far to make a comfortable day trip to go from one side to the other. I've rented condos and houses via this site from the BI to Tuscany with good results:Big Island Vacation Rentals by Owner, Big Island HI VRBO®, Big Island Hawaii Vacation Homes, Big Island Oceanfront Rentals (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/hawaii/big-island - broken link)

As for the beaches, the majority of them are on the Kona side. Also there is a super snorkeling area at the Wai'opae Tidepools in Puna on the east side.

As for Kauai I would recommend staying in the Poipu/Koloa area which is central to the island and has better year round weather. Just like Kona there is a Costco in Lihue on Kauai.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:10 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
We booked an Alaskan cruise through the folks linked above and everything went well.

On a cruise ship, there isn't a lot of time in port and the ports in Hawaii- with the exception of Oahu (Honolulu) - aren't big on public transportation, so booking a ship's tour or a rental car might be a good thing. On a ship's tour, if your return bus misses the boat, the ship will pay to get you back aboard. If you rent a car or are on a non-ship's tour (the less expensive ones) then it is up to you to get yourself back to the ship at it's next port.

Old 01-01-2011, 01:26 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,171 times
If you want a couple of cheap - nice but not resort nights in Puna near lava flow I can hook you up. Also the gal managing this house - that hasn't been a rental till new year also has the best lava boat to see the lava at night. DM if interested. If want to be on Big Island depends on what you want. My first time coming over I really thought I would want to be on both sides. As a "vacation person" I was used to mainland driving and drove and drove. Stayed on Puna side.Today I have been here in Puna and finally made it to Hilo after a month and half. So far! hahaha you can find some condos in Kona also cheaper or expensive but timing is it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii