Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 09:28 PM

23 posts, read 40,561 times

Advertisements

Let me start by saying that I'm sure you've seen this thread a million times on this HI board, and I'm not going to waste space on convincing everyone why we're different. I just need some help in covering all my bases so we don't end up living on that homeless beach north of Kona (something my wife probably wouldn't even mind but I'm not too fond of).

I crashed (read: totaled) my car 3 weeks ago. Owned it outright and will be receiving a check for over $8600 (about $3000 more than I paid for the car lol) soon. We have decided that we're going to move back to Hawaii using the money. We have family in Kona and some old friends on Oahu. We would prefer to move to the Big Island but are not set on it. Oh yeah and we have 3 kids: 3, 2, and 3 mos .

I am not going to worry about the details of the move until I have employment wrapped up. I know this is going to be rough because I will be attempting to secure employment from the mainland.

I have a lot of experience in logistics, including airfreight to/from HI. I am very good at what I do. I also have contacts at a few local delivery/logistics companies on all the islands. I feel like the main obstacle is convincing a perspective employer that I am serious about heading out there. How do I do that?

I also feel like I am in a good profession for the HI market because, hey, everything that gets to Hawaii gets there somehow, right??

Please hit me with all the negativity you want as long as it's mixed with a little advice to help me reach my dream. And hey, if you happen to run a shipping company and are ready to take your business to the next level... all the better. I'll send you my resume.

I'm going for it no matter what and I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 09:32 PM

209 posts, read 722,139 times
What a great way to start the New Year! Good for you. I wish I had the courage to pack it up and move to Hawaii .

Best of luck to you and your family,
Happy New Year!
Kelly

Old 12-31-2010, 10:04 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, Oahu has a lot more stuff shipped in and out, but family in Kona would help a lot. Dunno how long you could crash with friends with a wife and three kids in tow. Tell your family and friends you are moving back and ask them to look around for work for you. When you apply for a job, use your family's address and phone number. Use local references if you have any.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
I would think that as long as you have viable employment with good benefits that cover you and your family then your plan has merit, otherwise it's not a good idea.

With 3 kids I would also take into consideration the education system in Hawaii, it is quite dismal.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:05 PM

23 posts, read 40,561 times
Thanks everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly4Sun View Post
What a great way to start the New Year! Good for you. I wish I had the courage to pack it up and move to Hawaii .

Best of luck to you and your family,
Happy New Year!
Kelly
Thanks a lot! My best friend (future wife) went to college on the Big Island. I went out there for a while and we got engaged. We decided to move back home (Ohio) to save up and have a wedding our family could attend.... It was nice and everything but we have been dreaming of Hawaii ever since. We feel like it's where we belong and I think we're starting to feel like it's now or never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, Oahu has a lot more stuff shipped in and out
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. I am basically compiling a list of every shipping company located on all the islands, sending my resume and following up with a few phone calls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I would think that as long as you have viable employment with good benefits that cover you and your family then your plan has merit, otherwise it's not a good idea.

With 3 kids I would also take into consideration the education system in Hawaii, it is quite dismal.
With 3 kids, it would be irresponsible to "make the leap of faith" and just head out there. But I really think I have a chance to secure something from the mainland. As far as education, we plan on homeschooling or co-op so that won't be a problem.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:04 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
Are you currently employed? If not, I'd take some of the money and plan an extended stay with family and job hunt in person. Also, get a cheap cell phone with a 808 area code.

True story: my DH flew to Oahu to job search and spent 2 weeks interviewing. Flew home and the next day got called for an interview. Flew back and got the job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii