Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM

79 posts, read 231,123 times

Advertisements

I am tired of people on here saying the bugs and etc are bad things about hawaii and make them reluctant to move there. I have lived in michigan all my life and partly in detroit, and if anyone came to here from hawaii, they would be running back fast.
I have been all around the world, and many people have told me what is in michigan? And why didn't I leave sooner. Honestly it is because of family, that I did not want to leave sooner, but it has just become too depressing around here. And with the scandals and everything, michigan=misery these days. So here is hawaii vs michigan, and you guys tell me who wins.

Cockroaches - That's right. Their may not be snakes on the island, or very many other bugs for that matter, but for what the island is lacking in small gross creatures, it makes up for with it's abundance of cockroaches. And you can't escape them either, they're everywhere.It doesn't matter how clean you keep your apartment or house, they will find a way. I'm scared to get up and go to the bathroom at night, because who knows what's crawling around on the floor. I don't even want to think about it. And do you know some of them fly? I've seen it first hand. It's disgusting!
Michigan Bugs - I live in Michigan.... Nuff said. I have a bad fly problem in the winter!!!!! And in michigan we have a real bad bed bug problem!!!!! AND WE HAVE ROACHES OF DIFFERENT COLORS, LAUGH AT RAID AND ARE VERY FAST!!!!!!

Hawaii - The price of an "average home" - When I say average home, I mean a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, with the size yard of someone who lives in let's say a very close suburb of Chicago. If you know what I'm talking about, then you know how small of a yard that is, barely anything. The average price for a home like this is $600,000. Not very many people here can afford this, so their is pretty much an upper class and lower class, barely a middle class at all. It's sad to see so many homeless people, and so many people with houses worth millions, not million, millions, living blocks away from each other, it just doesn't seem fair!
Michigan home market - Try having a home where you paid 70,000 for it 5 years ago and now it is worth 7,000. And you are paying more for a home then it is even worth. Or in some areas you have to walk 3-4 blocks to find a neighbor

Hawaii Drivers - I know where ever you go, you hear people complaining about the drivers in their town, and they think their town has the worst drivers. Well, I'm hear to tell you that this island has the worst drivers I have ever seen. I don't know what the problem is, or where these people took drivers training,or if they have ever had driver's training in their lives, but it's enough to make you scream sometimes!!!!
Michigan Drivers - Be careful who you talk to on the roads, they may shoot you or hit you with their car. Yes, some people here are that crazy!!!!

Hawaii Drugs - This island is filled with drugs and drug users. Crystal meth is HUGE here. It ruins so many people's lives. Marijuana is barely considered a drug here. I smell it on a daily basis somewhere in Waikiki. For people who teach at schools here, they have a three strikes and your out policy when it comes to drug use. Does that sound a little too relaxed to you? Would you like to send your child to a school where their teacher uses drugs and the school knows about it, and still allows them to teach there?
Michigan Drugs - I live in Michigan, raised in detroit.......... Nuff said....

Hawaii Racism - Although it's wonderful to have so many cultures living together in one small place, it also creates tension among races. Haole (this is what they call white people, they say it's not meant to be derogatory, but I think it kind of is) kids have it really bad in the schools. If you live here and you're white, for the protection and safety of your child, you either homes school them or send them to a private school that costs up to $15,000 a year. It's nuts. I heard of a school that shut down for a couple days recently because fights were breaking out between Hawaiians and Samoans.
Michigan Racism - not there if you live in detroit. But if you live in the much nicer suburb areas people will look at you and will be thinking what are you doing here. Some people don't like minorities living in the nicer ares because they believe it will "bring down" the area. As for schools, don't get me started...... Just google, detroit, michigan and schools, it will say it all...

Hawaii Commercials - Okay, this is small, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine here. On T.V., I would say almost half of the commercials here are advertising for places that aren't even here, like Kohl's or Target for example. Neither of those stores operate on any of the Hawaiian islands, and yet they play their commercials all the time. And I love Olive Garden, and they keep torturing me with pictures of their delicious food, when they know full well that their aren't any here.
Michigan -RIP OFF PLACES!!!! There are so many places trying to rip you off here. There are cash advances all over detroit. There is a terrible place called american jewelry and loan where desperate people go to pawn. (google hardcore pawn) There are foreclosures and closings all the time, all of my childhood places that I remember for good times are either out of business or moved out of michigan

Hawaii Traffic - You would think, on this tiny island, that you'd be able to get anywhere fast, because you can't really go that far anyway, well, you're wrong. Again, if you think traffic in your town is bad, spend a rush hour here. It's a nightmare. On the west side of the island, if you work in Honolulu, which most people do, plan on spending an hour and a half to two hours each way on your commute each day. What makes that sound even worse, it's only 20 miles away, think about that for a little while.
Michigan Traffic - People that drive here are cold and selfish. Don't expect them to let you merge. They will yell at you and give you the finger and there has even been times where people have shot at each other. If you do help people on the road, people think of you as an oddity or that you want some money.

Hawaii. Language Barriers
- I think this has become my motto here, and I will take it with me for the rest of my life, "Even though you're both speaking English, that doesn't mean both of you are hearing the same language." I have never seen so much miscommunication in my life, and I was not expecting this at all, but it makes sense. Everyone uses their own framework of mind when processing information, and if you grew up in a different culture where words we use as Americans mean one thing, that doesn't necessarily mean that will be processed in the same way by someone else who grew up in another culture. It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you've been in that situation before, it's definitely a "lost in translation" kind of thing.
Michigan. Mostly no one speaks to you. People in michigan are friendly but many of them are very mean and look at you funny if you try to talk to them. And if you are wearing "street" clothes, they will start to walk very fast to avoid you.

Hawaii - Relaxed Atmosphere - You might think, "what's so bad about that, that sounds nice and refreshing." Sure, if you're on vacation, but when you are trying to live your everyday life, it's extremely frustrating. Whatever you do in a normal day, plan on getting accomplished half of those things in one day living on this island. Everything takes forever.
Michigan- Stressed out Atmosphere - Everyone here is on edge all the time, people are abandoning their homes because they can't afford it or they live in a ghost town and the crime has gotten too bad and are a prisoner in their own homes. It' not uncommon to spend new years on the floor to keep stray bullets from killing you..... I am dead serious... And don't dare walk down the street and look someone in the eye that you don't know. With over 12 percent unemployment, people have become desperate and crime has went through the roof!

Hawaii Island Fever - Even though it's wonderful being in a tropical paradise, it does get old from time to time. I mean, their is only so much to see. I hate to say I feel like I've already taken for granted my beautiful surroundings. Pretty soon we're going to have to start exploring these other islands. It's not like living on the mainland, where if you want to go somewhere, you hop in your car and go. We have to fly where ever we go.
Michigan Cabin Fever - When it snows hard, there is nowhere for you to go. The roads are a nightmare, the cold, snow and salt are hard on your car and if you live in detroit waiting for a bus, pray that it comes.....

Now I ask people, will I have a hard time in hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 12:13 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,232,265 times
You're writing as if you already live in HI? Or do you live in Michigan and want to move? I can't tell what you want to know.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM

285 posts, read 1,083,047 times
Must not be here.... We have Target!!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,681,995 times
All those things are true. But its not that Hawaii may not have the same problems and issues as other places, its that many come expectuing it not to have any issues and when they see the same thing they get upset and *****. Everything you mention is in about the same way issues with hawaii but when you move expecting white sand beaches, a cottage on the ocean, surfing everyday, a dive through pinapple fields with no other cars for miles, and you base your whole decission on basically Travel Brochure Hawaii and you find Reality Hawaii, they get upset.

many people who post are explaing that Reality Hawaii exist and if your looking for Travel Brochure Hawaii, you may be in for a shock. But that turns into being negative and anti-newcommer. Its just reality that you may or may not experience. There are some things you are not going to find like a wide open H3 during rush hour with mai-tai stands alongt he road side and Hula Girls welcoming you at the parking lot at work.

And want to add, what one experience in Chicago is not all over Illinois, just like what is in Honolulu, is not whats on Kauai. If you are from Southern Illinois, speaking about Chicago is the same as comparing Kau Hawaii to Honolulu.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM

79 posts, read 231,123 times
My thing is people have told me are you sure that hawaii is the place you want to live. And I see hawaii as being a much happier place to live instead of staying in michigan. Which I honestly think is a depressing place to live....

I don't live in HI yet, But I want people to know the problems with living in michigan. So when I voice my complaints about michigan, hawaii seems like a much better choice to live. What do you guys think?

Old 01-05-2011, 03:20 AM

51 posts, read 80,983 times
Way to double post

Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 AM

25 posts, read 120,004 times
I grew up in Michigan, (Detroit and the farms way up north), and I now live on Oahu. Quite frankly the way you compare the two states makes them both sound equally horrible. The way you have described things does not make Hawaii seem like a much happier place to live. They both sound like hell in your description. Not to mention, most of your list could apply to any state in America. You should be listing positive sides to both, which I admit, right now for Michigan would be tough to do economically. Seeing as how I am from both states now, here's what I have to say.

Bugs- Every state has them, big, small, crawlers, flyers. So what? Get some bug spray or take advice from Andrew Zimmers from The Travel Channel and eat them, haha. Hawaii has really only the cockroaches though and most of the time I don't see them.

Drivers and Traffic- Any major city in any state has bad drivers and bad traffic. It can't be avoided. Since Honolulu is Hawaii's largest city, this is to be expected. But where else can you roll down your window and smell that ocean air, smile at the driver next to you in empathy, and listen to Hawaiian Reggae?

Racism-also available in any state. I however, have not noticed any racism towards whites or any other race here on Oahu. I am as white as they come, and maybe I am just blind, but I work with at least seven different races and all I notice is human beings. They all blend together beautifully and many of them enjoy another culture almost more than their own. In Michigan, you rarely ever see this as the races are very tight and very stereotypical.

Commercials- I'm laughing at this one because if you live in Hawaii I dont see how you have time to see these so called commercials in the first place. Hawaii is beautiful and maybe YOU are "taken for granted my beautiful surroundings" but I sure am not. If you look hard enough there is tons to do on the island and guess what?? You have gorgeous weather all the time to go out and get your feet wet, or climb a mountain, or geocache, or kayak to Chinaman's Hat. Maybe to you this tropical paradise gets a little boring but that is only because you make it that way. Same with Michigan. You can experience all four seasons and so many different seasonal sports there.

I would go on, but I feel I have made my point. You need to take a step back and look at the positive side of both states. The one that raised you and the one supporting you now. I see the beautiful side of both states and especially since I have moved here I cannot stop gushing to my friends back on the mainland how I do not regret my decision to move here and experience such an awesome, eye-opening, life-changing place.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:01 AM

53 posts, read 197,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
I am tired of people on here saying the bugs and etc are bad things about hawaii and make them reluctant to move there. I have lived in michigan all my life and partly in detroit, and if anyone came to here from hawaii, they would be running back fast.
I have been all around the world, and many people have told me what is in michigan? And why didn't I leave sooner. Honestly it is because of family, that I did not want to leave sooner, but it has just become too depressing around here. And with the scandals and everything, michigan=misery these days. So here is hawaii vs michigan, and you guys tell me who wins.
Born and raised in Hawaii now living in Michigan... I have to agree with you on most of your points. I really want to be running back home and would probably do it, if not for my husband's job.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
Cockroaches etc. -
The most unnerving thing about cockroaches in Hawai'i is that they are everywhere, and that they are HUGE. As a longtime kama'aina once said to me "If you can't deal with cockroaches and the lizards, Hawai'i is not for you."

Hawaii - The price of an "average home" - The median home in Hawai'i is worth $642,000. The "average" home in Hawai'i is probably a one bedroom house, built in the 1930's, with two illegal add-ons and sub-code wiring and plumbing, worth $150,000 but mortgaged for $300,000.

Hawaii Drivers - They just don't care. One third of them don't even have the required minimum insurance. It's hard enough financially just to keep their old junker running. Parts are expensive and good mechanics are elusive. Think of it as a 24/7 Demolition derby.

Hawaii Drugs - It's mostly a rural thing. Of course, Hawai'i is mostly rural, so there ya go.

Hawaii Racism - Yes and no. Hawai'i has always been the most racially diverse colony (oops, state) in the USA, so in general there's more tolerance of differences than most places. But the "Great melting pot" of America has actually turned out to be more like a "Great fruitcake," and Hawai'i has more nuts and fruits in the mix than the mainland.

Hawaii Commercials - Fuhgeddabout the national commercials for chains and products we don't have here, the local tv commercials only make sense if you live in Honolulu. Street addresses are given, but never the locale, like you're supposed to have ALL the islands memorized.

Hawaii Traffic - Everyone drives as if they are the only vehicle on the road. The 6pm traffic upslope from Hilo to Volcano (and Kurtistown, Mountain View, Fern Acres etc. along the way) everynight on Highway 11 is subject to 55mph max and 40mph min speed limits. Which means the average speed is usually about 45, because there's always somebody in a junker pickup wheezing up the hill at the front of a pack of a dozen newer cars, because, you know, he's the only vehicle on the road.

Hawaii Language Barriers - Get over it, and just learn the slang. Pidgin was invented to allow plantation workers from many different countries to communicate. Dat's da kine, brah.

Hawaii Relaxed Atmosphere - Cuts both ways, and generally not in your favor. After two months I am still trying to complete a transaction that would have taken me 15 minutes in Texas. That's "island time" at its worst. And there ain't a single thing you can do about it.

Hawaii Island Fever - Any other state you can get in a car and drive an hour, or two, maybe a day and be in an entirely different state, maybe another country. Here you have to paddle 14 days in a canoe to get ANYWHERE else.

And last but most, the relocation cost of living calculators online show that to match the standard of living you could enjoy on a $50,000 income in Detroit, you'd need $106,000 income in Honolulu. And since the average wage on the islands is $15.83, all the kids need to work!

Whether or not Hawai'i is for you largely depends on how well you can embrace Hawai'i's differences from everywhere else and just go with the flow. That's my bottom line on the subject.

OpenD

Last edited by OpenD; 01-11-2011 at 05:38 PM..

Old 01-11-2011, 05:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
It should say "Hawaii vs. Detroit" Detroit is VERY different from the rest of Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii