Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:55 PM

79 posts, read 231,123 times

Advertisements

I want to better explain myself....

My thing is people have told me are you sure that hawaii is the place you want to live. And I see hawaii as being a much happier place to live instead of staying in michigan. Which I honestly think is a depressing place to live....

I don't live in HI yet, But I want people to know the problems with living in michigan. So when I voice my complaints about michigan, and with hawaii. It seems like hawaii is a much better choice to live. What do you guys think?

Here are the cons for both states... At least that I see or heard...

Cockroaches - That's right. Their may not be snakes on the island, or very many other bugs for that matter, but for what the island is lacking in small gross creatures, it makes up for with it's abundance of cockroaches. And you can't escape them either, they're everywhere.It doesn't matter how clean you keep your apartment or house, they will find a way. I'm scared to get up and go to the bathroom at night, because who knows what's crawling around on the floor. I don't even want to think about it. And do you know some of them fly? I've seen it first hand. It's disgusting!
Michigan Bugs - I live in Michigan.... Nuff said. I have a bad fly problem in the winter!!!!! And in michigan we have a real bad bed bug problem!!!!! AND WE HAVE ROACHES OF DIFFERENT COLORS, LAUGH AT RAID AND ARE VERY FAST!!!!!! SOME ROACHES ACTUALLY SEEM IMMUNE TO RAID!!!!!

Hawaii - The price of an "average home" - When I say average home, I mean a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, with the size yard of someone who lives in let's say a very close suburb of Chicago. If you know what I'm talking about, then you know how small of a yard that is, barely anything. The average price for a home like this is $600,000. Not very many people here can afford this, so their is pretty much an upper class and lower class, barely a middle class at all. It's sad to see so many homeless people, and so many people with houses worth millions, not million, millions, living blocks away from each other, it just doesn't seem fair!
Michigan home market - Try having a home where you paid 70,000 for it 5 years ago and now it is worth 7,000. And you are paying more for a home then it is even worth. Or in some areas you have to walk 3-4 blocks to find a neighbor

Hawaii Drivers - I know where ever you go, you hear people complaining about the drivers in their town, and they think their town has the worst drivers. Well, I'm hear to tell you that this island has the worst drivers I have ever seen. I don't know what the problem is, or where these people took drivers training,or if they have ever had driver's training in their lives, but it's enough to make you scream sometimes!!!!
Michigan Drivers - Be careful who you talk to on the roads, they may shoot you or hit you with their car. Yes, some people here are that crazy!!!!

Hawaii Drugs - This island is filled with drugs and drug users. Crystal meth is HUGE here. It ruins so many people's lives. Marijuana is barely considered a drug here. I smell it on a daily basis somewhere in Waikiki. For people who teach at schools here, they have a three strikes and your out policy when it comes to drug use. Does that sound a little too relaxed to you? Would you like to send your child to a school where their teacher uses drugs and the school knows about it, and still allows them to teach there?
Michigan Drugs - I live in Michigan, raised in detroit.......... Nuff said....

Hawaii Racism - Although it's wonderful to have so many cultures living together in one small place, it also creates tension among races. Haole (this is what they call white people, they say it's not meant to be derogatory, but I think it kind of is) kids have it really bad in the schools. If you live here and you're white, for the protection and safety of your child, you either homes school them or send them to a private school that costs up to $15,000 a year. It's nuts. I heard of a school that shut down for a couple days recently because fights were breaking out between Hawaiians and Samoans.
Michigan Racism - not there if you live in detroit. But if you live in the much nicer suburb areas people will look at you and will be thinking what are you doing here. Some people don't like minorities living in the nicer ares because they believe it will "bring down" the area. As for schools, don't get me started...... Just google, detroit, michigan and schools, it will say it all...

Hawaii Commercials - Okay, this is small, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine here. On T.V., I would say almost half of the commercials here are advertising for places that aren't even here, like Kohl's or Target for example. Neither of those stores operate on any of the Hawaiian islands, and yet they play their commercials all the time. And I love Olive Garden, and they keep torturing me with pictures of their delicious food, when they know full well that their aren't any here.
Michigan -RIP OFF PLACES!!!! There are so many places trying to rip you off here. There are cash advances all over detroit. There is a terrible place called american jewelry and loan where desperate people go to pawn. (google hardcore pawn) There are foreclosures and closings all the time, all of my childhood places that I remember for good times are either out of business or moved out of michigan

Hawaii Traffic - You would think, on this tiny island, that you'd be able to get anywhere fast, because you can't really go that far anyway, well, you're wrong. Again, if you think traffic in your town is bad, spend a rush hour here. It's a nightmare. On the west side of the island, if you work in Honolulu, which most people do, plan on spending an hour and a half to two hours each way on your commute each day. What makes that sound even worse, it's only 20 miles away, think about that for a little while.
Michigan Traffic - People that drive here are cold and selfish. Don't expect them to let you merge. They will yell at you and give you the finger and there has even been times where people have shot at each other. If you do help people on the road, people think of you as an oddity or that you want some money.

Hawaii. Language Barriers
- I think this has become my motto here, and I will take it with me for the rest of my life, "Even though you're both speaking English, that doesn't mean both of you are hearing the same language." I have never seen so much miscommunication in my life, and I was not expecting this at all, but it makes sense. Everyone uses their own framework of mind when processing information, and if you grew up in a different culture where words we use as Americans mean one thing, that doesn't necessarily mean that will be processed in the same way by someone else who grew up in another culture. It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I'm talking about if you've been in that situation before, it's definitely a "lost in translation" kind of thing.
Michigan. Mostly no one speaks to you. People in michigan are friendly but many of them are very mean and look at you funny if you try to talk to them. And if you are wearing "street" clothes, they will start to walk very fast to avoid you.

Hawaii - Relaxed Atmosphere - You might think, "what's so bad about that, that sounds nice and refreshing." Sure, if you're on vacation, but when you are trying to live your everyday life, it's extremely frustrating. Whatever you do in a normal day, plan on getting accomplished half of those things in one day living on this island. Everything takes forever.
Michigan- Stressed out Atmosphere - Everyone here is on edge all the time, people are abandoning their homes because they can't afford it or they live in a ghost town and the crime has gotten too bad and are a prisoner in their own homes. It' not uncommon to spend new years on the floor to keep stray bullets from killing you..... I am dead serious... And don't dare walk down the street and look someone in the eye that you don't know. With over 12 percent unemployment, people have become desperate and crime has went through the roof!

Hawaii Island Fever - Even though it's wonderful being in a tropical paradise, it does get old from time to time. I mean, their is only so much to see. I hate to say I feel like I've already taken for granted my beautiful surroundings. Pretty soon we're going to have to start exploring these other islands. It's not like living on the mainland, where if you want to go somewhere, you hop in your car and go. We have to fly where ever we go.
Michigan Cabin Fever - When it snows hard, there is nowhere for you to go. The roads are a nightmare, the cold, snow and salt are hard on your car and if you live in detroit waiting for a bus, pray that it comes before you freeze the death.....

Now I ask you guys, will I have a better life in hawaii or staying in michigan? Also, how do you guys in hawaii view michigan and detroit? Are we looked as bad upon as much as I think we are or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 10:55 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
I'm not sure if Michigan or Detroit shows up much on people's radar around here at all. Folks would probably prefer someone from Michigan living next to them before someone from California although after they got to know the new neighbors if they were nice new neighbors then they wouldn't care at all.

I suspect that Michigan and Hawaii are very similar in that if you can find a job to support yourself they could both be good places to live. Some folks like cold and snow, although personally I'm not sure why.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:05 PM

795 posts, read 2,298,808 times
Talking so long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanos9999 View Post
I want----- Go to Hawaii or stay in Michigan??? Please help me decide...
Stay in the United States. As soon as I can -lulu land- by by...

Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
There are 48 other states, don't limit yourself.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Now I ask you guys, will I have a better life in hawaii or staying in michigan? Also, how do you guys in hawaii view michigan and detroit? Are we looked as bad upon as much as I think we are or not?
I'm from Michigan as well. My impression is that a person is either a mainlander or not a mainlander. As Michigan is on the mainland, I don't think they make any great distinction as being somehow different or worse or more special than anywhere else on the mainland.

As a Michigander who has spent nearly 20 years outside of Michigan - lived in 6 other states and quite a few other countries. Generally, almost no one anywhere knows anything about Michigan, unless they happen to be from the Midwest themselves.

Most people will quickly confuse Michigan with any other 'M' state in the U.S., and half of the time will assume it must be southern, as it sounds an awful lot like those Missouri or Mississippi states. Or they'll attach it with 'Midwest', and next time they see you, associate you with being from Wisconson or Indiana or 'one of those cornfield states'.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:50 PM

51 posts, read 80,983 times
What ever you do stay out of chicago, there is enough MI people their already.

But if you list cockroachs as a problem than iono what to say. Chicago has roachs every city does, i bet your house does.

BTW there is a target on the big island and a kohls and every other annoying commercial you said. You write a lot of this like you live in HI but you said that you don't?

If you live in Detroit my advice is leave any where is better than that place. Other than Chicago we don't want you :P

Old 01-04-2011, 11:54 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonesdef View Post
What ever you do stay out of chicago, there is enough MI people their already.

But if you list cockroachs as a problem than iono what to say. Chicago has roachs every city does, i bet your house does.

BTW there is a target on the big island and a kohls and every other annoying commercial you said. You write a lot of this like you live in HI but you said that you don't?

If you live in Detroit my advice is leave any where is better than that place. Other than Chicago we don't want you :P
There are no Kohls department stores anywhere in Hawaii.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Michigan Bugs - I live in Michigan.... Nuff said. I have a bad fly problem in the winter!!!!! And in michigan we have a real bad bed bug problem!!!!! AND WE HAVE ROACHES OF DIFFERENT COLORS, LAUGH AT RAID AND ARE VERY FAST!!!!!! SOME ROACHES ACTUALLY SEEM IMMUNE TO RAID!!!!!
I think I'll have to disagree with this one. Generally speaking the further south you go, the warmer the climate, the bigger the bugs and the bigger the issue.

Most people who move from MI to say FL or TX, will quickly be surprised by all kinds of bugs everywhere.

I never heard of MI having a serious 'bed bug problem' or 'roach problem'. In fact, you hardly hear this at all, especially compared to more southern climates.

If you are having them in your house in MI, it is probably something more specific to your individual house, as it isn't a general common MI type of problem by any stretch. (Generally its said to be the opposite, because of so much cold weather for most of the year).

Old 01-05-2011, 03:18 AM

51 posts, read 80,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
There are no Kohls department stores anywhere in Hawaii.
You are right i was thinking of marshalls/tj maxx people still shop at kohls?

Old 01-05-2011, 11:40 AM

1,014 posts, read 2,099,750 times
Kohls Rocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii