Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:32 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,428 times

Advertisements

one of the biggest reason i picked hawaii as a retirement because of my grandkids who are mixed race of Korean and American and other one is mixed between hispanic and white and hawaii is the home to alot of socalled mixed race people and i thought it would be better for them to come someplace where the mix race is a normal look instead of beening outside the normal looks of people

one set of the grandkids is a mixed korean and white has a blond hair and blue eyes and total asian features as girls and yes i know the guys are all ready looking at them like there hot and one lady asked us if we dried there hair that color and let them wear contacts lense at there age and we told her it all natural and she goes really and then walked away ..

so that was one of the reason why i chose hawaii as a retirement place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:35 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,364 times
They will fit in better here but only so far. If you're not local in Hawaii your not fully accepted no matter what your ethnic background.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:41 AM

352 posts, read 187,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
They will fit in better here but only so far. If you're not local in Hawaii your not fully accepted no matter what your ethnic background.
Calender check, please.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 AM

Reality check please, I live here.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:13 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
I'm with henry1 and flordelis on this one. I find that so-called "mixed race" people are more accepted in Hawai'i than anyplace else in the country.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:38 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,445,428 times
plus i love the fact that when i have taken the oldest grandkid with me as a treat because her younger sister was with the chickenpox at the time and i thought it would be good time to get her out of the house and with a road trip with me before she was killed by her mother over way she was treating her younger sister at the time ..

plus there is nothing like sisterly love when one is standing at the window watching the sister drive away in the taxi to go to the airport and the other is sticking her tounge out at her as we drive off and the moral of the story was when the youngest got to go with me along with two of the other grandkids with me on that trip because of there amom and dad was going somewhere and i figure it would be a good time to go and check up on something i had to do anyway and i would take them as a treat for doing good in school .

the oldest sister was sick with the flu and could not come with us on that trip and there was the younger sister sticking out her tounge as a we drove off to go to the airport ..

there on the big island it did open doors alot faster with some of the locals when they found that the kids where my grandkids and some of the locals did help me alot more when dealing with some of the things i was trying to get done at the time ..

one lady did ask me when i was there last time how was my grandkids and how are they doing and when are they comeing back to vist me and i told her that that all the grandkids will all be comeing this summer time when they get out of school to vist there place and go camping for a few days with me as we start on some of the projects around the place..

i get free labor this way also for babysitting dureing my vaction comeing up in july ..

Old 01-15-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'm with henry1 and flordelis on this one. I find that so-called "mixed race" people are more accepted in Hawai'i than anyplace else in the country.
I agree that they are more accepted, my statement was "fully accepted".

Any race other than whites are more accepted.

Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
I agree that they are more accepted, my statement was "fully accepted".

Any race other than whites are more accepted.
Well if you're mixed nobody can tell you're not local until you open your mouth... and even then, not necessarily because not every local talks pidgin or has a Hawaiian accent.

Old 01-18-2011, 03:48 PM

53 posts, read 135,682 times
I think sometimes people mean by "fully accepted" that they are never noticed as having come from somewhere else. I certainly have heard expats complaining in Australia that "no matter how long you live here you will never be fully one of them".. to which I reply, of course you won't. It's just the way life works, if your whole background and upbringing took place somewhere else you will not share that with the people you live amongst. You're cut off from a huge chunk of their identity and you will always be the convert (if you really love it there, lol) or the <any place/race name meaning you didn't originate here>.

People will always say things that possibly sound dismissive but are just acknowledging that you wouldn't know from experience what they are referring to because you never had that experience.

People will always ask you where you're from if your accent or other things betray you and many will then refer to you as "the <foreign place>" even if you live there for 20 years. It's just a way of identifying you and the sooner you realize that this IS your identity because you DO come from another place the better.

I do think that this is a shock to some people, when they move to an island or another country or even a community with a long ethnic history they don't share in their own state. They are not used to being identified as someone who came from outside, as "other" than the majority even though they have done this themselves to people their whole lives. Some people get fixated on this experience and it upsets them, rather than embracing what being an expat can offer they chafe at every reminder that they are not of this place originally. From that you get accusations of everything from snobby to racism leveled at their new home.

Last edited by kukuicake; 01-18-2011 at 03:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii